Home Sports Talk

Northeast '50s and '60s Wrestling

Mike_OsbornMike_Osborn Posts: 5
edited August 12, 2023 11:29AM in Sports Talk

Anybody here from NYC, Long Island (and other NYC suburbs), DC, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, other NJ cities, Hartford, New Haven Hartford or Baltimore watched wrestling in the late '50s and early '60s? I believe it was on Channel 5 in NYC and DC - WNEW in NYC and WWTG in DC. (Not sure about other cities).

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Sports Talk!!

• Appreciate the welcome, perkdog.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike_Osborn said:
    Anybody here from NYC, Long Island (and other NYC suburbs), DC, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, other NJ cities, Hartford, New Haven Hartford or Baltimore watched wresting in the late '50s and early '60s? I believe it was on Channel 5 in NYC and DC - WNEW in NYC and WWTG in DC. (Not sure about other cities). If so share your memories here: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/non-boxing-talk/boxing-scene-lounge/689163-any-wrestling-fans-on-boxingscene

You are talking pro wrestling, right?

I used to watch channel 5 from DC on Thursday nights. Ray Morgan was the announcer and Vince McMann, Sr. was the promoter. After you watched for a while, the results of matches were all predictable. They either made the heals look more rotten or the pretty boys more saintly. Once in a great while they would have a match up I could not predict, like the tag championship match between Johnny Valentine and Cowboy Bob Ellis vs. Nature Boy Buddy Rogers and Handsome Johnny Bernard. A bloodied up Rodgers (from a series of atomic skull crushers from Valentine) dumbed a passed out Bernard on Ellis for the win. That set a grudge match at Madison Square Garden a couple weeks later.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Mike_OsbornMike_Osborn Posts: 5
    edited August 12, 2023 11:29AM

@BillJones said:

@Mike_Osborn said:
    Anybody here from NYC, Long Island (and other NYC suburbs), DC, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, other NJ cities, Hartford, New Haven Hartford or Baltimore watched wresting in the late '50s and early '60s? I believe it was on Channel 5 in NYC and DC - WNEW in NYC and WWTG in DC. (Not sure about other cities). If so share your memories here: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/non-boxing-talk/boxing-scene-lounge/689163-any-wrestling-fans-on-boxingscene

You are talking pro wrestling, right?

I used to watch channel 5 from DC on Thursday nights. Ray Morgan was the announcer and Vince McMann, Sr. was the promoter. After you watched for a while, the results of matches were all predictable. They either made the heals look more rotten or the pretty boys more saintly. Once in a great while they would have a match up I could not predict, like the tag championship match between Johnny Valentine and Cowboy Bob Ellis vs. Nature Boy Buddy Rogers and Handsome Johnny Bernard. A bloodied up Rodgers (from a series of atomic skull crushers from Valentine) dumbed a passed out Bernard on Ellis for the win. That set a grudge match at Madison Square Garden a couple weeks later.

Quite fitting that you mention the tag championships match between Cowboy Bob Ellis & Johnny Valentine and Buddy Rogers & Handsome Johnny Barend. I was chatting w/ someone the other day on Twitter about Cowboy Bob Ellis.