Home U.S. Coin Forum

The replacement of Walter Breen books

SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭
edited July 27, 2023 3:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello all and good day ;)
I'll keep this one short and sweet

With the replacement of any other researchers books pamphlets and or notes in a diary, in my opinion is a very touchy area especially when removing said varieties or what not, I mean I'd respect it if hardcore evidence backed it.

To me these books have been written and accepted by our ancestors and without being able to prove said something doesn't exist would be a deal breaker, for what happens when that is pulled out of the woodwork and the new book changed history all together to where that's impossible for they know how coins were made versus or ancestors, that's a hard pill to swallow especially when their info is backed by mint info.

To change first engraver technically would be impossible for the start date of said engraver and then if it was attempted and they awarded all credit to the one who didn't work one day in 1793,, umm 🤔😳 yeah I'd need evidence backing Robert being appointed before 1793.

Well now here we are, all this over one coin that has been written about before us.

PCGS moderators say the burden of proof is on me, well I disagree for I didn't change the books and nor do I want to, especially when they say the ones before us were and are wrong,, to me it is up to the ones pushing these new books to prove it doesn't exist.

Just my opinion and thanks all
Eric

Comments

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't understand your post, but I wouldn't say books are replaced, new research does sometimes reveal new and possibly different information though.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just your opinion? What in the world IS your opinion??????

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trust the new publications. If you have doubts, contact the author and ask how he arrived at subject conclusion. Likely the older publication was not as deeply researched as the new one. As noted above, Breen included his opinions and has often been shown to be wrong. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

There sure iz a lot of slicks out there, no pun intended 😜

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one coin ?

• SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 3:43PM

Why won't anyone show me their edge on these supposed copies of my coin,I mean nobody will including the dark side, nobody will show me the edge?

Why won't you all tell me the weights, why won't you answer on the pits?
    Clearly a fake coin sign is all those pits, right where I said the protection is.
    Why don't we have more than one? Of mine, I mean all the ones you provided are the same pits included whereas mine has zero.
    Yet you say mine is one of theirs, may I ask how you all came to the conclusion mine with zero pits is one of their countless pitted coins?

edited July 22, 2023 3:55PM

Along changing history, ejection marks which Walter went into detail about how these would be super rare and all should be prized, well you all are erasing ejection marks correct?

Not to mention nobody has shared the diameter of their copies, which everyone swears mine is the same.

I can imagine nobody wants to share the weight because I've already questioned everyone I've seen =9.70 grams, 10 grams notice how even these are, well most likely the one you say are mine are one of these weights exactly.

Yeah I want to see the crumbled edge on these you all say are mine, well and the ejection marks, I mean you say it's just like mine.

PS I have asked Alibaba for the exact same and was told no, anyone who knows about copies knows the answer would've been ok np mint condition oxidation streaks ejection marks crumbled edge and weight for it is a copy, correct?

Thanks all

@JBK awesome answer, just can I ask how my credibility has anything to do with a coin, yes I agree they are filtering it through their lens, just why?

The coin is the one, I may stumble and say not smart stuff, just the coin is in question correct? Why are you all pointing to my downfalls?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 4:10PM

I don’t know what we’re talking about, but slick reminds me of underinflated bald retread tires.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

My opinion shouldn't matter but to answer a straight up question.

This coin in my opinion must be fake for I didn't ask any questions and just posted what I seen and had learned, which would be totally unacceptable in your book for I don't know anything about coins and well I don't know a bunch so I would kinda agree, just the coin is in question and I shouldn't be.

Thanks for your straight forward question

edited July 22, 2023 4:15PM

Can you all show me he was wrong in ejection marks, and also great answer @ricko

• maymay Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 4:23PM

Classic slick fashion, 5 posts in a row. ;) I’ll probably get another PM from him about “pounding the messenger”. ;):D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

edited July 22, 2023 4:26PM

I'm not saying I know everything or anything, I mean compared to your alls level I've got a few specs of sand.

Just I'm not the coin and or the author, which to answer another semi question if questioning the author, I think we all know I did and I have repeated what he said, if it's not in my book then it doesn't exist, ok that's an answer but very vague and not really answering, I've also asked about what sounds like insider info on creation of the SP coins, well let just say refer to answer above.

Doesn't answer anything when I do what he asked for an xrf and says he doesn't have to it's fake, yet he will block me from any outside help.
    Thanks

The observation I will make compared mine to the fakes, I'm pretty sure no goof off was needed and if used, I doubt it would turn the 3 or 4 ounces completely black

edited July 22, 2023 4:33PM

I'll read more replies when I get home and thanks all
    I'm on a job site and cameras don't lie and show me slacking 😜😆 I'm my own boss but still I should be held accountable

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Classic slick fashion, 5 posts in a row. ;) I’ll probably get another PM from him about “pounding the messenger”. ;):D

That's okay, I posted a VB joke about Tony Bennett and habaracas PMed me in all caps and told me to take a forum vacation for a few years so he didn't have to read me. Lol

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SlickCoins said:
    @JBK awesome answer, just can I ask how my credibility has anything to do with a coin, yes I agree they are filtering it through their lens, just why?

The coin is the one, I may stumble and say not smart stuff, just the coin is in question correct? Why are you all pointing to my downfalls?

Because that is what we see; your downfalls trump your message.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read this entire post 3 times. Oh good gawd, what is the OP's problem ?

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about your coins Slick, but your drivel on here grades a PO-01, and without a green sticker.

• maymay Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good grief slick! I just looked at your post history, and your past posts were actually sensible. What happened to you? @SlickCoins

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭

Can you please slow down, choose your words carefully and explain what you mean about the ejection marks? I am trying, but can’t understand what you are trying to say.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Why do I bother).

Slick, there is no single fake to compare yours to. There are many manufacturers, especially in China, and there are a variety of examples. One of which is yours.

P.S. - I thought the moderators had asked you more than once to stop posting about this do-called coin. :/

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    (Why do I bother).

Slick, there is no single fake to compare yours to. There are many manufacturers, especially in China, and there are a variety of examples. One of which is yours.

P.S. - I thought the moderators had asked you more than once to stop posting about this do-called coin. :/

There are a ton of slightly different but similar style to Slicks fake available on over 25 websites. Of course you can find the exact replica from multiple overseas suppliers, so actually there is a single fake to compare his too (as he knows as I’ve mentioned it a few times).

His piece is actually known exactly the same die elements but instead with the strawberry leaf design in place of the regular, but otherwise made from the same exact host picture (often the Chinese counterfeits are made from an image of a coin, not the actual coin itself)

@SlickCoins said:
    Along changing history, ejection marks which Walter went into detail about how these would be super rare and all should be prized, well you all are erasing ejection marks correct?

Not to mention nobody has shared the diameter of their copies, which everyone swears mine is the same.

I can imagine nobody wants to share the weight because I've already questioned everyone I've seen =9.70 grams, 10 grams notice how even these are, well most likely the one you say are mine are one of these weights exactly.

Yeah I want to see the crumbled edge on these you all say are mine, well and the ejection marks, I mean you say it's just like mine.

PS I have asked Alibaba for the exact same and was told no, anyone who knows about copies knows the answer would've been ok np mint condition oxidation streaks ejection marks crumbled edge and weight for it is a copy, correct?

Thanks all

To try to help answer some of your questions Slick, here I go.

1. Nobody is sending you an edge picture because almost everyone here is a serious student of coinage. As such, nobody here owns an example of this copy, as in modern manufacture and obvious Chinese origin means most of us would not bother ever considering owning an example, even for fun! Same answer for the weight and diameter.

2. On weight and diameter. 1793 large cents were handmade with little technology. Weight and diameter will vary as will anything made by hand. These are not like Lincoln Cents who had a legal range of weight with .11 grams. These things can vary in weight depending on that particular strip of copper used that day.

3. The edge of your piece is not in the style or shape of an original, often seen with modern copies. Edge elements are not a priority with fakers.

4. Alibaba does not produce these pieces, they are just a platform for them to be sold. It’s the eBay of fake products from mostly China. Any fake product you want, Alibaba is your answer.

5. This pitting you mention being a sign of a fake, this is often correct when dealing with cast replicas. However the are numerous copies of a 1793 wreath cent that are smooth, lusterous, etc. It’s because they are struck not cast.

6. With regards to authors and books, Walters book was WAY ahead of its time when it was published. But since more research opportunities have opened up with internet, many theories and suggestions by Breen have been discovered to be incorrect. Walter had a habit of making up part of the story when he could not find evidence to fit. This happens with his research too many times to consider counting!

Hope some of that information helps. Sorry for a novel of a response!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    (Why do I bother).

P.S. - I thought the moderators had asked you more than once to stop posting about this so-called coin. :/

They did:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13270323/#Comment_13270323

• JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

@SlickCoins said:
    Why won't anyone show me their edge on these supposed copies of my coin,I mean nobody will including the dark side, nobody will show me the edge?

Clearly a fake coin sign is all those pits, right where I said the protection is.
    Why don't we have more than one? Of mine, I mean all the ones you provided are the same pits included whereas mine has zero.
    Yet you say mine is one of theirs, may I ask how you all came to the conclusion mine with zero pits is one of their countless pitted coins?

Because nobody here cares about your coin. It’s clearly a fake, so nobody wants to talk about it anymore. People tried to reason with you, and help you understand. Since you didn’t take any of that seriously, people moved on.

PCGS told you to stop talking about this coin. Think about what it took to make them say that.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

3 times? Are you sure he's the one with the problem? :D

• ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 8:47PM

Can I get one them coins from temu? LoL

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 8:59PM
    edited July 23, 2023 12:28AM

Well at least the truth is out, nobody cares.
    On my private message about America inc was supposed to be pounce*
    Wow remedial, just for the record nobody has even shown me a close one to what I have, in fact I showed the closet one.

So the truth is nobody wants to work in my opinion, just like I ordered walkthrough and instead of them stopping me, which must've been work they cheated me. Not shocking at all

You all know this doesn't help the cancel Walter Breen's books it actually makes them look even better,,, here's a kicker I bet his books have more pages by at least 100, imagine that the guy actually worked.

People who have responded said they had a few, no worries I get it all a bunch of hacks and would rather attack me to then proceed to tell me to send it in, so then it can be sent to Roger who has already blocked me on an overlay, I guess it is so bad they can't have that happen.

Perfect example of a hack response is doing a shotty overlay and saying oops I didn't get it lined up.

Ok great you all don't have one yet you all talk a great game about it and have been able to produce nothing in it's caliber.

So I'm led to believe you all don't know a thing about it and still won't mention it isn't a copy when they created it, oh that's right got to be the best and not to mention the reverse top broken leaf matches none and want me to believe counterfeiters made it.

Thanks for the honesty and defending your Robert Scott who was not the first engraver regardless if my coin is real or not, for how does one start after all the coins of 1793 been finished & released?
    Sounds like another hack job, let's attribute everything to him LMAO 🤣😂
    506 views and where is all the kudos to the experts and I'm not an expert either just I try which right now is looking pretty good.

Two examples, one being the supposed 1942 lwb I went and bought to show you all how easy it is for me to see things of a higher caliber.
    Then the 1958 LWB that messed up and had to repair it and by the time it was finished it was 1959 or at least the engraver knew the mint was not going to receive it in time but it was before the memo that the us mint is going with a new reverse.
    Funny how I can isolate said dies, including the repair marks on my 1793 and I'll make a note that all copies of my coin show the marks for on my coin you have to be a master to even see it meaning wait what another nail in these are all copies of yours, for that would be an incorrect statement, just I personally have said they are, just one dilemma for the Master engraver marks on mine nobody can see for they are smooth as butter, copies explode and make everything bigger including where the anti counterfeit protection is.

Let's be real, which coin is this a copy of?
    Can you ask match top right leaf on the reverse?

edited July 23, 2023 12:53AM

It's ok if you don't approve my message that I corrected all typos in, for it's locked in and can be reproduced for it is the truth. So I shared it instead and got limited but hey, again at least I'm trying.
    Thanks all for the honesty

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Tom147 said:

Yes, I'm sure. I'll withhold my comments, don't really want to get booted.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2023 7:49PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Tom147 said:

The bigger problem is that when you ignore a user, it only blocks their replies within threads, not threads they start.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SlickCoins said:
    You all know this doesn't help the cancel Walter Breen's books it actually makes them look even better,,, here's a kicker I bet his books have more pages by at least 100, imagine that the guy actually worked.

The extra pages are the stuff he made up.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SlickCoins How many more times do you need to post some butthurt thread here about this obviously fake coin? If you're convinced you're right and everyone else is wrong then send it in to PCGS or NGC or ANACS. If it comes back real, you can post a big fat "I told you so" thread with pictures of said coin in the slab.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short and sweet, or long and slick.......

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Show me what you're rambling on about.

@SlickCoins said:

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

• csanotescsanotes Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

A break from the forum or other social media can be great sometimes. I missed this thread, but scrolling thru I am certainly better off. Bring back the dislike button. 👎

Chance favors the prepared mind.

This discussion has been closed.