Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

(CA) 1973 Elizabeth II 10c DDR

I can't seem to find any prior info on this one, and I don't quite get why the two in the pictures I compared look so dissimilar to one another. Anyone seen this one before or know what's going on with it? Specifically in '3' in 1973 and the dots not really being anywhere close to the rim. Would be pretty cool to get a discovery, but with how common the coin is (I'm from the US so I may be wrong) I can't imagine I'm the only person who's noticed such bold doubling on that 3. If there's anything else I need to provide, lemme know and I'll do that. Thanks in advance!

1973 weighs 2.126g
1979 weighs 2.087g

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2023 5:25AM

Welcome!

1973 piece is not a true DDR. It is mechanical (shelf) doubling along with die deterioration. True DD would have clear separation in the double area (think 1955 US 1 cent as an extreme example).

In 1979, the obverse was modified to reduce the size of QEII in relation to the size of the coin. This was done across all denominations to make the bust proportional to the diameter of the coin. Charlton, v76, p134.

Edit to add: the weight should be 2.07g. Your coins are a bit dirty so slightly heavy is expected.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

I thought about machine doubling, but had just never seen such a clean example of it. Only a couple years in the hobby though, so I generally assume I can be wrong at any time. I find that is often the case. Comparing it to the US 55 made it click in my mind though, so thanks for the info!