Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Artificial intelligence, will it be grading coins in the future?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think it’ll ever happen down the road or do you think coins will forever continue to be graded by humans? Hopefully we will find a solid solution to this task that won’t waver.
Thoughts?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think AI will be doing it for someone (that is someone will try it).
    How accurately - I don't know. Many issues involved.
    For a major TPG. Would have to be proven first and there is an investment in that. 3rd party?

I believe it would be initially best suited for variety attribution and counterfeit detection.

Then maybe some modern 68, 69, 70 grading type of thing. But still have some issues to work through.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure will.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hope not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be dead before that happens, so I am not worried. Besides, AI was designed by humans, so how much superior can it be?

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather see pigs fly

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt it. May be useful for auction descriptions though.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

With AI creeping into many facets of many markets I wouldn't be surprised if NGC, CACG and our host haven't already employed or tested the viability of using AI.

I'd be ok with AI used as a sanity check or 3rd level QA but not as the primary decision maker.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 7:53PM

Calling @treybenedict :)

Trey's app is already doing AI generated grades for toning. It's a short step to doing it for grades.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes for sure
    Machine learning that is. You just feed millions of data points in and the pc does the rest. Should be right around the corner.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt in my mind.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 9:01PM

@Zoins said:
    Calling @treybenedict :)

Trey's app is already doing AI generated grades for toning. It's a short step to doing it for grades.

The infrastructure needed to built these sorts of models for grading is a much larger case.

To be able to attempt this, grading standards need to be very specific and set. Given changing grades, crackout game etc. It’s a large task, but doable.

My estimate is 1-2 years out for a good model, and a team with enough resources that won’t burn capital like most AI startups right now.

Edit: I think it’s most useful for modern coins as vintage is a more difficult game to play. (Low range of datasets for very rare coins)

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Its very possible with the current state of the world and the implementation of AI, our coins wont really matter anymore!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d9lowe said:
    Its very possible with the current state of the world and the implementation of AI, our coins wont really matter anymore!

How do you figure?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - possibly a self grading holder. You will be able buy them at Walmart. The holder will give bid /ask price too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. And with AI grading, a new grading company will be created. And a new forum monitored by AI.

• Options

"That coin only grades a 69."

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    I will be dead before that happens, so I am not worried. Besides, AI was designed by humans, so how much superior can it be?

That's because it's not really intelligence. It isn't alive. It's just more computer code in a computer program.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought AI had already been implemented once and failed for coin grading. And isn't it used for card grading?

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider the fact that PCGS had already tried to do a scan/sniffer grading procedure in the past (like over 10 years ago?) Already has THE largest coin photograph data set (has taken far more photos of our coins way beyond published true views) And, that each grader cost them over $100,000 then the question is not if - but when?

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭

By the time AI is capable it will not matter. It will have already rid itself of the pesky humans.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dropdaflag said:
    By the time AI is capable it will not matter. It will have already rid itself of the pesky humans.

The question infers machine learning not AI.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure, it's pretty hard to capture luster, hairlines, and bagmarks from a photo. AI could also have trouble with badly-struck buffalo nickels too.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

I believe it’ll happen. When? I have no idea but I’m sure it will be implemented in the near future.
    Great responses👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I hope so, I'm tired of seeing inconsistently graded holdered coins. Right now they use two graders and a finalizer to judge each coin. I could easily see them go to a computer grade reviewed by a human finalizer.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

@Steve27 said:
    I hope so, I'm tired of seeing inconsistently graded holdered coins. Right now they use two graders and a finalizer to judge each coin. I could easily see them go to a computer grade reviewed by a human finalizer.

I 100% agree. We need solid grades that are not subject to errors when graded. The human element needs to be removed.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2023 7:55AM

I could see it within the next 5-10 years.

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2023 8:53AM

I think it’s entirely possible and has great potential but as mentioned by others, there would be a tremendous amount of work involved to assemble the infrastructure necessary to pull it off. I might think this could be a very useful application of AI if done correctly.

AI is already being used on some analysis of medical and radiographic images. It’s a work in progress but making headway.

It’s far from perfect but certainly has great potential moving forward- with skilled human oversight (hopefully).

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the hobby will see AI used to determine surface preservation and assign a preliminary grade, perhaps determine if a coin is genuine. However, a human will determine the final grade based on eye appeal and originality.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

AI grading ? How about counterfeit detecting. I'd be happy if AI could change the oil , or take care of honey- do lists.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was tried years ago and failed BUT it’s going to happen. The question isn’t if but when. AI has made scary advancements. It is now capable of doing thinks today that couldn’t be done ten years ago. The advancements have caused serious concerns among some folks that know a lot about the development of AI. It has a self learning characteristic that I think at some point will take over grading in the future.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be very careful what you wish for or even what may be contemplated as possible...

I doubt AI will work for several reasons. Seems programming and creating the intel to begin with would be challenging. Not all coins within a series are created equal and for AI to grade effectively, it will have to be programmed to recognize differences- a 1904 Morgan in 65 is simply not as attractive as an 1881-s at the same grade level. And there are countless other examples. The investment to even consider this would likely end the endeavor before starting.

I do not see this as viable. And in 10 years I suspect I will be proven wrong.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Be very careful what you wish for or even what may be contemplated as possible...

I doubt AI will work for several reasons. Seems programming and creating the intel to begin with would be challenging. Not all coins within a series are created equal and for AI to grade effectively, it will have to be programmed to recognize differences- a 1904 Morgan in 65 is simply not as attractive as an 1881-s at the same grade level. And there are countless other examples. The investment to even consider this would likely end the endeavor before starting.

I do not see this as viable. And in 10 years I suspect I will be proven wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment!
    Very well put coinkat!

Just in the past month, in various articles extolling the virtues of AI for analysis of images, I spotted numerous blatant errors in the identification and labeling of anatomical structures. The authors (non medical) were passing these along as great examples of what AI might accomplish but they weren’t catching the mistakes. They all had stars in their eyes!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the grades I receive; the graders are already using their artificial intelligence. ;) Or, could it be my intelligence?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2023 7:00PM

here is my best guess as how they should do it ..

Have a computer that is tied to fixed cameras on the coins at many angles and have the top tier graders (many different ones) grade tons of different coins all while being recorded and all the data goes into an AI program. Do this for a couple years with all that data from the best graders going into the AI and I think you may have something ...

Also have the graders talk to the AI as they are grading on why they graded each coin a certain grade.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmmm, 69 or 70.........caculating.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:

I've waited all night for that picture. Thank you!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s inevitable. Which will be especially interesting because grading parameters will constantly evolve, grades will be more fluid, and slabs - the plastic itself- will be less important.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

And AI will undoubtedly create a new grading system.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    I believe the hobby will see AI used to determine surface preservation and assign a preliminary grade, perhaps determine if a coin is genuine. However, a human will determine the final grade based on eye appeal and originality.

No doubt there will be a role for humans to play in monitoring, correcting and teaching the machine. But as time passes, the machine will need less and less supervision, and will eventually be allowed to decide for itself which coins should be run by the humans before assigning a final grade, and which coins can be finalized immediately.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes with a human "finalizer". Certainly necessary for rarities.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like some (many) I think it could be used very soon for moderns, classics will take longer but will likely happen at some point.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, not even sure humans (other than an occasions QC check) will be needed. It will just depend on the economics on how quick it will be fully developed ( or adapted ) for the hobby. Just thinking - If facial recognition can pull a face out of crowd 100 feet away now ... why can it not find an MS65 PL Morgan sliding down a shoot at the PCGS grading room table?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's inevitable. I'm in science and machine learning algorithms for large datasets have been "a thing" for over a decade. So has automating certain repetitive human endeavors... the bigger the datasets, the better the outcomes. I can envision a near future where a coin comes in for grading and is videotaped at many different angles... and AI "grader" assigns the grade and a human "finalizer" does QC and a reality check. As good as AI is for so.e things, it still currently needs a reality check.

I teach a graduate course in Scientific and Technical Writing a d the writing samples turned out by AI (like Chat GPT) are impressive, but the references they use still need to be checked... some references were legit, but others were either from opinion pieces (not peer-reviewed) and the worst cases showed the reference actually was arguing against the point the AI was trying to make.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

We all disagree amongst ourselves as to grades. Look at the differences of opinion on any of the guess the grade threads. Grading includes eye appeal and AI cannot as of yet determine that. Besides, eye appeal is in large part dependent upon the likes of the viewer. We will always have individual preferences and AI will never be able to satisfy everyone. I believe that AI could certainly assign a technical grade but that desirability of any technical grade MS coin will vary greatly from coin to coin. To the extent eye appeal plays a role in the grade assignment, and in my view it should and does, human input will always be a part of grading - or at least the interpretation of the validity of any assigned grade.

• Options
    KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Imagine if you will,
    An optically aided AI computer analyzing millions of morgan dollars, considering the strike, every known alteration, counterfeit, patterns and types of toning. additions of chemicals. applying loss of grade value to a myriad of marks. hairlines or any variations to the original. A possible AI report might be:
    "This is 4256 TO 4269th striking of an 1886 dollar of VAM 13, after the die repolishing at striking 5902-5933, with striking detail value of 89%, retains 98% of It's original luster, bag marking consistent with grade 63.5 to 63.7 of known specimens, Surface contamination value of .0039, current value is $42.67 wholesale, current buy offers $41.50/sells $43.25" Probable service grades, PCGS 63, NGC 64, CAC 64, ANACS 63
    With enough ACCURATE data, anything is possible. J.P.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file