Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Say! Is it me or is the coin market going south again?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:

@Tramp said:

There was a dealer there asking $1450 for a uncertified GSA hard pack1878-CC maybe a 63PL, but I could go right now to a website and buy a MS64 graded w/CAC for $300 more for a sure thing. I'll pay a little more for a sure thing. But he was confident that he'd get that price. It was still sitting in the case at end of show.

Please sell me all your 1878-CC's graded MS-64 with CAC for $300. I'll take all you can show me.

Not $300. I stated "$300 more" for a graded coin.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:

@Tramp said:

There was a dealer there asking $1450 for a uncertified GSA hard pack1878-CC maybe a 63PL, but I could go right now to a website and buy a MS64 graded w/CAC for $300 more for a sure thing. I'll pay a little more for a sure thing. But he was confident that he'd get that price. It was still sitting in the case at end of show.

Please sell me all your 1878-CC's graded MS-64 with CAC for $300. I'll take all you can show me.

Yeah. See, I, I ,I knew that

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said
    Not $300. I stated "$300 more" for a graded coin.

Ok, I mis read that. I apologize.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2023 8:57PM

@TennesseeDave said:

Ok, I mis read that. I apologize

No problem Dave! All is good!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options

@Soldi said:

@TennesseeDave said:

@Tramp said:

Yeah. See, I, I ,I knew that

"Yeah, See, I, I , I , knew that" means I didn't see it either. LOL

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I've never had a financial advisor say; add coins to your portfolio.

Some of the chronologically older members here might be able to confirm / deny this but I believe back in the 70's and 80's adding coins to an investment portfolio was touted as a sage move by some advisors. Wasn't there an attempt to create a collectable coin based mutual fund?

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2023 11:16AM

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Some of the chronologically older members here might be able to confirm / deny this but I believe back in the 70's and 80's adding coins to an investment portfolio was touted as a sage move by some advisors. Wasn't there an attempt to create a collectable coin based mutual fund?

K

I have no idea.

If they were timing the market, have at it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited July 20, 2023 11:14AM

@telephoto1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Really? If it's not a hobby for you what is it? If you're using coins and investment in the same sentence, you must be a dealer.

I'm just a hobbyist. If I used coins as a career or investment, I would have starved years ago! 😂

In 1983 I started doing "coins as a career". Full time since 1988. Still standing.

Great! Congratulation!

@telephoto1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Really? If it's not a hobby for you what is it? If you're using coins and investment in the same sentence, you must be a dealer.

I'm just a hobbyist. If I used coins as a career or investment, I would have starved years ago! 😂

And one of our best gold/silver buyers is a financial advisor who advises his clients to diversify. Just saying.

No problem with that whatsoever. Just not me.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2023 11:55AM

It’s definitely in the summer slow season. I would not be surprised see a downward slide soon or in next couple of months. Just my take on it.

On the buy side not so bad - recently picked up some slabbed dollars and walkers 15 pct behind bid.

Do you think US Mkt over promoted, ready for material downward correction? Right now not much of a buyer above 67-70 pct CPG (CDN based retail) which has been easy for me to find.

Since my inventory back up to plan # of slabs not not really lookin buy coins unless deal there. Frankly getting more excited about currency - chasing Texas large size NBN’s.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

K

Yes... and it turned into tulips and became a catastrophic crash that has never recovered.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

K

Yes... and it turned into tulips and became a catastrophic crash that has never recovered.

They were buying certified coins Sight Unseen, kinda like VB!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the rare coins are actually going to Barbieland. They are being slabbed in holders with special pink labels! :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2023 3:44PM

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

K

Last week on my way home from school I found an old bowers and merena catalog lodged in a tree as I was cutting through the park. In there it had an article on " the Athena fund" a rare coin endeavor involving only ancient coins.

Next page there was an article about teachers in Wisconsin investing in rare coins and being real mad about it.

Suddenly a man jumped from behind a rock and grabbed my coat while shouting; you like looking at change kid! Do yah ! I shook free, but dropped the magazine. I ran home to mom and dad. I looked through some coins on dad's ol cigar box. Nothing special.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    All the rare coins are actually going to Barbieland. They are being slabbed in holders with special pink labels! :)

I'm waiting for the rainbow labels! :)

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    It’s going south if not weak. Few people coming in the bourse room have over $300 to spend. We are in very uncertain times.

Additionally we are in the summer doldrums. Plus coins are in competition with other venues - travel, sporting events, gentleman’s clubs, Car mods, dating, boating, etc.

A friend who sets up near me at local shows has dropped his offers to walkup sellers from 10 pct behind CDN bid to 20pct behind bid.

How much does that translate to common silver coins (Barber Halves in Good condition (L showing) for example) ?

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 6:02AM

Ok, I’ve seen enough auction results over the past month. The market is in full force and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

Here’s an example

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-eagles/1900-10-ms65-pcgs-cac/a/1362-3936.s?

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with dep dan, good stuff selling well

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

My little corner of the pond... early copper... seems to be strong. That said, the cr@p (ie, damaged, cleaned, or otherwise messed with) sits for a very long time. Also, uncertified coins that are nice but have BiN prices at well over price guide values also have no bidders.

I haven't looked at Type Coins or Morgan Dollars for quite a while so I can't personally comment on those but if some of the posts to this thread are an indication, it seems as though strong material brings strong money...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@ctf_error_coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

K

They were buying certified coins Sight Unseen, kinda like VB!

Lol. That wasn't the problem. There always had been a sight unseen market. There still is. The problem was more complex and included a supply problem

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 7:34AM

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of stuff is selling well Flowing Hair Dollars - https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ns=Time|1||Lot+No|0&Ne=35&N=790+231+3183+378+4294936064&ic4=Refine-Auctions-102615

In Lot # order:
    20% over PCGS guide
    Details coin for ~90% of recent auction highs
    10% over PCGS guide
    20% below PCGS guide
    Details coin for ~50% of recent auction highs
    ~90% of PCGS guide
    ~85% of PCGS guide
    Details(Bad) coin for ~33% of recent auction highs

Given how optimistic PCGS guide prices usually are, that's pretty solid.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just from personal experiences on the buying side of the market, there seems to be better material available, but you’re going to pay for it at slightly over PCGS price guide quotes. My main focus right now is proof Walkers in 67 CAC and IHCs in 65 RB CAC and after negotiating a price I am still willing to pay 10% over prices listed. You want great coins you have to pay up a bit, but you’ll be happy in the end.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Ok, I’ve seen enough auction results over the past month. The market is in full force and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

Here’s an example

That's a bad example.

The good stuff is strong the over-graded stuff is weak. Same as it always is.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, South. The next show near me is in St Charles, Mo.

And my thinking remains the same: "... ain't no time like the present, to pick up a piece of the past, for the future."

• Options

@fathom said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Here’s an example

That's a bad example.

The good stuff is strong the over-graded stuff is weak. Same as it always is.

I wasn't basing my comment off of just that one example, but I don't know why its a "bad" example. Its a great coin but I don't see it in a 66 holder. It sold for almost 3x guide, but my point was the market is not going "south" which I believe we agree.

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a strong bidder yesterday in the Heritage auction Zip and every week at Great Collections. Nice coins bring strong money. I have been out bid most of the time and I often bid above CAC or PCGS prices. A couple of CAC 64 saints went for weak money but I thought they looked rough and was confused by the PCGS grade and CAC sticker. Doug Winter posts some nice CAC gold every couple of weeks and even though I call with in minutes I have missed some expensive early gold coins that I really need for my type set. Everything I want is expensive and sells with in minutes.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the saga of many markets continues.
    We have dealers paying 20% back of Bid, and collectors bidding over Price Guide and winning few coins, and everything in between. Generics, collector coins, and trophy pieces…

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2023 9:50AM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    We have dealers paying 20% back of Bid, and collectors bidding over Price Guide and winning few coins, and everything in between. Generics, collector coins, and trophy pieces…

I'm not sure what one guy bidding 20% back indicates about the market. It's the story of one guy. I'm sure there are people that offer 20% back of melt for gold, I know one. That doesn't indicate anything about the price of gold.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

I'm not sure what one guy bidding 20% back indicates about the market. It's the story of one guy. I'm sure there are people that offer 20% back of melt for gold, I know one. That doesn't indicate acting about the price of gold.

And one forum member/dealer buying slabbed walkers and dollars at 15% back…..someone is selling to him.
    Many of the posts here are the story of “one guy”…..if he chases one coin to double price guide and still loses, does that indicate a booming market, or just a particular coin that a couple of people really wanted?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

I'm not sure what one guy bidding 20% back indicates about the market. It's the story of one guy. I'm sure there are people that offer 20% back of melt for gold, I know one. That doesn't indicate acting about the price of gold.

And one forum member/dealer buying slabbed walkers and dollars at 15% back…..someone is selling to him.
    Many of the posts here are the story of “one guy”…..if he chases one coin to double price guide and still loses, does that indicate a booming market, or just a particular coin that a couple of people really wanted?

Interesting question, the same thing had entered my mind too. The way I see it, if there are new records continuously being set at auction, the market is in good health. When I see auction results start to underperform and trend back down, then i'll accept that the market may be weakening.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2023 9:19AM

It depends on what area one is in but overall looks healthy many upticks in the new CPG Mkt review. So little bit more bullish looking at this.

There is always a dip in sales for me during summer slow season.

In looking at new CPG Mkt review: walkers mixed, Dollars (Morgan / Peace many with green uptick signs, my 1883-O and 1923 up (stackers), Commems mixed 1920 Pilgrim up in 66 and 67. Will be chasing the 67.

One feature noticed values for white (brilliant) Franklins about 15 pct higher than non white in MS65 (35 pc set). First time seen this on one page, neat. Fan of brilliant, white pieces PQ with super luster. Think want pick up some 49-D in MS64-66.

They have added pricing for MS70 and PR70 gold and platinum eagles. Silver ASE in MS 69 & 70 showing green uptick marks. Fun to stack.

They have a great article - is one collector, investor or dealer.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2023 12:20PM

@Walkerguy21D said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

No single result tells the story of the market. If the average of everyone is 20% back (like proof sets) then that matters. If one guy is 20% back and everyone else is 10% back, then he's an outlier.

It's the same with the auction you mention. If two people chase an 1885-O Morgan up 10x price guide, that is the story of one coin. Period. If all 1885-O Morgans start selling for multiples, that is the story of the Market. There is always a distribution of prices in the data.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe.
    After 19 months of hunting daily I finally got a set of coins I’ve wanted. A formite kindly pointed me in the right direction. Soooo
    Perhaps. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local accountant collector is looking for these coins, anyone have recommendations as he wants to buy them in person?
    1913S buffalo type 2 in vg/f
    1 cent - 1862, 1876 (I have them in f-15 but want to upgrade to vf-35 or a low xf) and 1870 in vf30-35 or a low xf.
    10 cents - 1928, 1931 both in au-55 and a 1919d vf
    25 cents - 1934d in vf or xf.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    A local accountant collector is looking for these coins, anyone have recommendations as he wants to buy them in person?
    1913S buffalo type 2 in vg/f
    1 cent - 1862, 1876 (I have them in f-15 but want to upgrade to vf-35 or a low xf) and 1870 in vf30-35 or a low xf.
    10 cents - 1928, 1931 both in au-55 and a 1919d vf
    25 cents - 1934d in vf or xf.

Please forgive me.
    I immediately thought of something I read on a thread here about eBay as I recall.
    I wanted to say “ money laundering “.
    Sorry I’m in a great mood and feeling humorous. I will join the search for the coins listed and report to you. Again, I apologize for the humor. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited July 23, 2023 1:10PM

I like review my publications and get a good big picture overview especially of my areas of interest. The qtrly CPG magazine does that. Also have their internet ap on phone. Comes in handy.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:
    I laugh when people call it a 'hobby' like it's knitting, whittling or collecting bottle caps. LOL

It is a safe investment just like blue chip stocks, expensive art or precious metals.

Much safer than simply holding paper money, imho. Especially, with the undeniably high inflation rate that continues to rise, annually.

I see steady prices and continued long term growth.

I'm not saying that it should be the majority, of your net worth, but any financial advisor would have no problem with a reasonable percentage. Along with real estate, mutual funds, etc. Diversification is key.

Okay.

Why are you bumping this thread and quoting the same quote with the same simplistic response that you gave a month ago?

I don't know why I did that. I missed something, sorry.

• Options

@telephoto1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

In 1983 I started doing "coins as a career". Full time since 1988. Still standing.

And one of our best gold/silver buyers is a financial advisor who advises his clients to diversify. Just saying.

Forget the coin market. I'd be tempted to trade my entire collection for that 63 Split Window!! 👍🏻

• Options
    goldrealmoney79goldrealmoney79 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Local shows starting this year have been pretty soft. Dealers have been pulling back on what they're buying and at what price. Unless its in demand and at a good price, they're not pulling the trigger.

On the other hand, cant blame dealers, starting fall of last year, ppl coming in were light on cash and looking to sell. It's still like that, you don't see ppl spending $5-10k anymore and most coming in to buy only have a couple hundred max.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:
    I laugh when people call it a 'hobby' like it's knitting, whittling or collecting bottle caps. LOL

It is a safe investment just like blue chip stocks, expensive art or precious metals.

Much safer than simply holding paper money, imho. Especially, with the undeniably high inflation rate that continues to rise, annually.

I see steady prices and continued long term growth.

I'm not saying that it should be the majority, of your net worth, but any financial advisor would have no problem with a reasonable percentage. Along with real estate, mutual funds, etc. Diversification is key.

Okay.

Why are you bumping this thread and quoting the same quote with the same simplistic response that you gave a month ago?

I don't know why I did that. I missed something, sorry.

You didn't do anything, it was just a forum glitch. 🙂

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

K

I have no idea.

Merrill lynch sponsored coin fund circa 1989

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/rare-coins-costly-for-merrill-1378352.html

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@ElKevvo said:

@OAKSTAR said:

K

I have no idea.

Merrill lynch sponsored coin fund circa 1989

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/rare-coins-costly-for-merrill-1378352.html

A British online newspaper talking about Merrill lynch from 19 years ago.

I thought about it, I laughed about it, then I forgot about it.

• Options

Money is getting tight , especially lines of credit and supporting the new interest rates. Thursday 8/10 inflation reports, there was a time when inflation helped the coin market. Summer doldrums? I think not 15 - 20 % behind bid? Yes, I think so, watch ANA show this week mixed reports at best IMHO. 2, 3 , 4000 $$ coins will go begging.
    Recession on the horizon? Yes, due to tightening credit. Ridiculous auto prices, over valued home prices. Hobby? I always laugh at this word. Nobody's hobbying at over $500.
    per coin.
    I think CAC grading will throw a wrench into the fluidity of any coin market, gor awhile anyways.

NGC coins bring more money than PCGS coins. Check your coin grading history who's who. You'll see what I'm saying about the new service.
    No the market for coins has been going south since January FUN.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

Here’s an example

I was planning to buy this but frankly it went to the moon. No regrets at that price even though I’d say it was under valued.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file