Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No guarantee that a coin with green CAC will resticker.. RESOLVED WITH JA..PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

13»

Comments

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 3:19PM

@Herb_T said:
    “ his failure to leave well enough alone”

If you want to pursue a registry with Overton numbers, the only way you get credit for a particular number is to have the attribute applied. This was the second coin in this pedigree that I wanted to do. The first one with a CAC sailed through. If CAC thought the second coin was originally worthy, they should have applied it a second time. None of this crap that the coin was damaged during the attribution application. His “rub” was the rub on the cheek that was there before when CAC applied the first bean. Hence their standards have changed.

I totally get where you are coming from, but, as others pointed out, standards didn't change. They just missed it the first time. As did you.

You didn't leave well enough alone, pursued the registry, and it cost you. JA generously offered to take you out of it for what you had in it, which he did not have to do. Or give you a $500 consolation prize, which he really did not have to do.

Lesson learned. Or not, depending on whether registry pursuit is more important than economic value. Depending on the value of the coin, maybe the move going forward would be to ask for an opinion on whether a particular coin would still sticker if resubmitted in a new attribution slab before cracking it out and losing the bid guarantee.

While you are apparently unhappy with JA's response, what would PCGS have offered you if they felt the coin did not deserve a MS62 slab? Wonder why that didn't happen, when JA didn't feel it wasn't 62 at all, let alone solid for the grade? You probably did pretty well by getting your money back and allowing JA to add it to his grading collection.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standards is probably the most overused and misunderstood word used on this forum.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Standards is probably the most overused and misunderstood word used on this forum.

The cool thing about standards is that everyone can have their own.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is as straight as the letter Z.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    zer0manzer0man Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

JA continues to impress. I'm glad most of my collection is CACed.

DOG acolyte

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can for see a real" S " Show when people start crossing their green beans to CACG and are told sorry we made a mistake..will cross 2 points lower or details now. This seems like "Legacy" cross is no sure thing. I personally can recall a couple dogs having the green bean. If it were me I would keep this lady in her forever holder. To be clear this is not...nor will ever be owned by me.

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    I can for see a real" S " Show when people start crossing their green beans to CACG and are told sorry we made a mistake..will cross 2 points lower or details now. This seems like "Legacy" cross is no sure thing. I personally can recall a couple dogs having the green bean. If it were me I would keep this lady in her forever holder. To be clear this is not...nor will ever be owned by me.

I'm not a copper guy, what is it about this coin you are seeing

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

I have submitted several coins for re-holder this year and every one of them came back with new cert numbers.

Are you sure these weren’t submitted using Regrade or Reconsideration? Ive sent many in over the years for reholdering and not one cert number has ever been changed. I’ve never seen it happen.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dollarfan said:

@RLSnapper said:

It looks fine to me at the assigned grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@ProofCollection said:

I have submitted several coins for re-holder this year and every one of them came back with new cert numbers.

Are you sure these weren’t submitted using Regrade or Reconsideration? Ive sent many in over the years for reholdering and not one cert number has ever been changed. I’ve never seen it happen.

You are correct, I was mistaken. Reviewed the order and I know they retained the old cert numbers or else they would all be sequential.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld I see the large dark toning streak in the obverse field. I see verticle streaks in the field. Scratches and pockmarks on her chin. This coin IMO is a barely "B" coin that if ever sent for crossover would in all likelihood be reholdered as a 45 Legacy.

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

@RLSnapper said:

Sir do you think this coin was close to being a gold bean?

• Options

@dollarfan said:

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

@RLSnapper said:

Sir do you think this coin was close to being a gold bean?

No.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

@RLSnapper said:

I agree it’s a technical AU50, but surprised it’s straight graded. Granted I didn’t get to see it in hand like the experts, but it looks like it was rubbed or slid across an abrasive surface, which I wouldn’t think would be normal marks from circulation.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@RLSnapper said:
    @MFeld I see the large dark toning streak in the obverse field. I see verticle streaks in the field. Scratches and pockmarks on her chin. This coin IMO is a barely "B" coin that if ever sent for crossover would in all likelihood be reholdered as a 45 Legacy.

Personally, I don't like the coin, either, due largely to the flaws you mentioned. But it's circulated - graded AU50, not mint state - and looks far better than 45. So even though I don't like it, I have no issue with the grade or the sticker.
    One thing I learned long ago in the grading room is that just because you don't like a coin doesn't necessarily mean it's not graded accurately, or even that it's not nice for the grade.

I hereby charge you with the offense of under-grading an accurately graded coin, because you don't like it. ;)

@Walkerguy21D said:

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

@RLSnapper said:

I agree it’s a technical AU50, but surprised it’s straight graded. Granted I didn’t get to see it in hand like the experts, but it looks like it was rubbed or slid across an abrasive surface, which I wouldn’t think would be normal marks from circulation.

It's a proof 50, not an AU50.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:

@MFeld said:

@RLSnapper said:

Personally, I don't like the coin, either, due largely to the flaws you mentioned. But it's circulated - graded AU50, not mint state - and looks far better than 45. So even though I don't like it, I have no issue with the grade or the sticker.
    One thing I learned long ago in the grading room is that just because you don't like a coin doesn't necessarily mean it's not graded accurately, or even that it's not nice for the grade.

I hereby charge you with the offense of under-grading an accurately graded coin, because you don't like it. ;)

@Walkerguy21D said:

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

@RLSnapper said:

It's a proof 50, not an AU50.

Thank you for catching my error.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    JA called me today and we discussed the issue. He said this happens about 1 in 5000 coins. Just happened to be my coin. He is going to talk to PCGS and see if they would agree to down grade the coin to a AU58+ and he would bean the coin. He is giving me a discount on buying the coin back. While not a perfect ending it is one I can live with and appreciate his call and helping me with it.

Please don’t add to this thread. If you want to continue discussions on the other topics that wound up in this thread please open a new thread. Thank you.

Glad it worked out in the end.

Message PCGS_Moderator if you want them to close it.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Herb_T said:
    JA called me today and we discussed the issue. He said this happens about 1 in 5000 coins. Just happened to be my coin. He is going to talk to PCGS and see if they would agree to down grade the coin to a AU58+ and he would bean the coin. He is giving me a discount on buying the coin back. While not a perfect ending it is one I can live with and appreciate his call and helping me with it.

Please don’t add to this thread. If you want to continue discussions on the other topics that wound up in this thread please open a new thread. Thank you.

You state, "While not a perfect ending. . ."
    It's about as perfect as I would imagine it could ever be.
    What it is PCGS and/or CAC could have done more for you making it "perfect"?
    (My question may well be rhetorical as the OP appears to not want to further this thread for some reason...)

I wish I could hit both the Agree and Like buttons.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Herb_T said:

(My question may well be rhetorical as the OP appears to not want to further this thread for some reason...)

I agree 100%. This whole thread was ridiculous as CAC offered resolution from the very beginning but the OP's anger got in the way of his reason.

• Options

@lermish said:

@braddick said:

@Herb_T said:

I wish I could hit both the Agree and Like buttons.

Me too.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit surprised that cac's determination was so strong in pulling their sticker of the MS62 Bust half as there are a lot of those I've seen in Unc. holders with friction. Since we didn't get images, it's hard to know how bad it was.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 10:16AM

@logger7 said:
    I'm a bit surprised that cac's determination was so strong in pulling their sticker of the MS62 Bust half as there are a lot of those I've seen in Unc. holders with friction. Since we didn't get images, it's hard to know how bad it was.

CACG's stated grading standard is to not allow friction in MS grades. My guess is that stickering these coins was more acceptable when stickered TPGs were both doing it, but now that CACG has a different standard, CACS needs to toe the line with CACG.

@Herb_T said:

Regarding the 1 in 5000 coins, I'm wondering if there's any relationship to the coins that don't make it. For example, if a large portion of them are MS coins with friction. Also, what is the ratio of stickered coins with friction in MS holders to total number of stickered coins.

@Herb_T said:

I was going to hold off on posting in this thread, but now that the floodgates are opened, it seems like the thread will continue, at least for a while.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@RLSnapper said:

You must mean "allegedly " undegrading an accurately graded coin. Innocent until proven guilty.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Regarding the 1 in 5000 coins, I'm wondering if there's any relationship to the coins that don't make it. For example, if a large portion of them are MS coins with friction. Also, what is the ratio of stickered coins with friction in MS holders to total number of stickered coins.

Great question. I would guess that your example is correct, that the most "improperly CACed" coins are MS with slight rub that was overlooked first time around. I would guess second place would be some sort of in-holder change.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@MFeld said:

@RLSnapper said:

You must mean "allegedly " undegrading an accurately graded coin. Innocent until proven guilty.

No, I didn't mean "allegedly". I "charged" him with the offense. The charge includes the allegation. I didn't convict him - not just yet, anyway. ;)

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@MFeld said:

No, I didn't mean "allegedly". I "charged" him with the offense. The charge includes the allegation. I didn't convict him - not just yet, anyway. ;)

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

RESOLVED WITH JA..PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

Thank you! Sounds like it's resolved.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@MFeld said:

@RLSnapper said:

This discussion has been closed.