Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Bringing people back

redseal53redseal53 Posts: 26
edited July 5, 2023 8:34AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

How can we bring people back here and away from a train wreck called PMF ?

Check out my FB group: Paper Money Galaxy.

Let's make CU the go to place once again !!

Comments

  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m fairly sure I know this “new” member, and can safely say he has an axe to grind.

    Personally and respectfully, I appreciate the assortment of diverse information and camaraderie found on the different paper money forums. Each one has their strengths and weaknesses and many contributors are members of several of the forums. Live and let live I say.

  • jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Steve_in_Tampa , Yes Steve- I'm certain we know who this is.

  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2023 10:38AM

    The problem with bringing people back is sometimes the **wrong ** people get back in, mostly by creating new user names and accounts.

  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 8:48AM

    Crazy first post

    I sense drama
    Please do tell

  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

    What is wrong with PaperMoneyForum? Something going on over there? I must have missed it. Do tell.

  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Staircoins said:
    What is wrong with PaperMoneyForum? Something going on over there? I must have missed it. Do tell.

    The OP was once a respected member there. Then, back in the Covid-19 era, PMF relaxed their “Topics” policy and allowed political discussions. Things got heated. Things got said. Warnings were issued and eventually, the OP was banned. That’s it in a nutshell.

  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

    Ah, TYVM.

  • A small group of people dramatically changed the environment over there, and not in a positive way.

    A former member here (who collects and researches red seals), that became a mod on PMF, got demoted because he joined my group and forum.

    All of the big players, once over there are largely gone. Some are now on my FB group, and some are on my very small forum.

    Everyone left here, because a dustup in 2016. I think it is time to give CU a second chance, and come together.

    There used to be one heck of a crowd here back in the day. I miss it.

  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Grading company sponsored forums have always seemed a bit restrictive to me. I almost feel guilty posting PMG graded notes here on this PCGS forum.

    Both PCGS and PMG have paper money forums. The weekly thread activity for both forums combined doesn’t equal a day’s worth of activity on the Paper Money Forum.

  • @Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Grading company sponsored forums have always seemed a bit restrictive to me. I almost feel guilty posting PMG graded notes here on this PCGS forum.

    Both PCGS and PMG have paper money forums. The weekly thread activity for both forums combined doesn’t equal a day’s worth of activity on the Paper Money Forum.

    Once upon a time, that was much different.

    I remember 2014 and 2015, when all of the big players were here, alongside the average Joe collector.

    Topics were also far more interesting back then.

  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree Bill.
    As a new collector back then it was almost intimidating. I think I was a member for over a year before I first commented. And then it took another couple of years before I had the courage to actually start a thread. Members have moved on or passed away. Life goes on…

  • Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

    I joined the CPMF (Canadian Paper Money Forum), now called the CPM back in 2005. At that time I remember there would be about 12-20 posts, (or replies to posts) daily (slowing down on holidays). It was a cinch to sell stuff on their "Trading Post." I remember getting shot down by a few authoritative figures when I made the odd "newbie-like" assumption/gaffe but it was all-good, clean fun, and only rarely did passions fly out of hand & threads unravel into personal attacks, etc. However, some members got banned as a result of personal attacks on others since it wasn't a 'free-for-all' to air one's grievances with society. The admin wouldn't tolerate that.

    Sadly, it was very active as a hobby forum but it has cooled down considerably over the years. I think SM & the changing demographic of collectors is likely to blame.

    I, myself, wasn't an active collector compared to today so I tuned in & out over the following 18 years. I noticed that our currency forum had really slowed down 10 years later (perhaps 2015). I'm fairly certain this was the result of the successful social media platforms (IG, FB, Reddit) eclipsing the old forum posting formula. Then, in 2018, the original webmaster shut down our CPMF completely. We either migrated to the Coin Community Family forum CCF (or go somewhere else like coinsandcanada) if we wanted to post questions or "talk shop" about our hobby.

    Once it got back online, "resuscitated," by a whole new anonymous ADMIN in 2019, it was never the same. Many days can pass before a post or perhaps 2-3 post on a good day. I often look back to those good ol' days (2005-2015) & just like eBay used to have more true auctions than "Buy It Now" the landscape of collecting has changed (dramatically). It's impossible to turn back the clock & revert to the good "old days & ways."

  • redseal53redseal53 Posts: 26
    edited June 20, 2023 3:06PM

    SN # 8: And then there are the mom and pop shops and coin shows.

    Last April, I snagged an EF40 (no Q due to margin tear) 1934D A star $5 FRN for $60 !!! This was at the Manchester NH coin show.

    This is an incredibly tough note.

  • I paid less than $200 for this note on eBay. It should grade 55Q if sent out. This is the record low serial number for 1934D J stars, and had a population of less than ten.

    Second finest known, based on my records.

    And then there are notes that nobody knows much about.

    I found this on eBay in February of 2020. I purchased it in May of 2022, for about $1,400. Three known: a VF by a well known long term collector, an EF, and this BY FAR top pop .

    Knowledge is power.

  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've been a long-time poster on this Forum as well as the PMF but rarely participate any more. The reason why is that most of the posters focus on small size type and the grading companies. As a hard-core Nationals guy, that's not my cup of tea. The final straw was the guy in the PMF who posted a survey asking what people collected and didn't even include Nationals. Don't misunderstand me, there is certainly nothing wrong with other types of paper money - we all have different interests and that's OK. So, I'm spending most of my chat time in the private Facebook page devoted to National Bank Note collecting.

    Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

  • DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

    @2ndCharter said:
    I've been a long-time poster on this Forum as well as the PMF but rarely participate any more. The reason why is that most of the posters focus on small size type and the grading companies. As a hard-core Nationals guy, that's not my cup of tea. The final straw was the guy in the PMF who posted a survey asking what people collected and didn't even include Nationals. Don't misunderstand me, there is certainly nothing wrong with other types of paper money - we all have different interests and that's OK. So, I'm spending most of my chat time in the private Facebook page devoted to National Bank Note collecting.

    So that’s where all you guys went. Looks like I may need need to break down and join FB. PMF has gone dead, particularly for any NBN stuff. Heck, I’ve been so bored, I’ve been slumming over here on the Coin Forum.

    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Steve_in_Tampa said:

    @Staircoins said:
    What is wrong with PaperMoneyForum? Something going on over there? I must have missed it. Do tell.

    The OP was once a respected member there. Then, back in the Covid-19 era, PMF relaxed their “Topics” policy and allowed political discussions. Things got heated. Things got said. Warnings were issued and eventually, the OP was banned. That’s it in a nutshell.

    I had the same experience.

    Thinking that they could fairly moderate political discussions was a fool's errand. I was never told exactly why I was banned but, a few months later, I was invited back. No thanks.

    I can offer some valuable contributions and I believe that I'm an asset to either board. And I learn here, too. It's a two-way street.

    Now let's talk about some nationals-the natural extension of my favorite currency-obsoletes.

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So that’s where all you guys went. Looks like I may need need to break down and join FB.

    Come on down. I avoid "regular" FB like the plague but the Nationals group is where it's at. It's a private group and it's closely monitored so any troublemakers disappear quickly. All of the major players in Nationals are there.

    Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

  • redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

    @redseal53 said:

    @Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Grading company sponsored forums have always seemed a bit restrictive to me. I almost feel guilty posting PMG graded notes here on this PCGS forum.

    Both PCGS and PMG have paper money forums. The weekly thread activity for both forums combined doesn’t equal a day’s worth of activity on the Paper Money Forum.

    Once upon a time, that was much different.

    I remember 2014 and 2015, when all of the big players were here, alongside the average Joe collector.

    Topics were also far more interesting back then.

    I agree 100 percent. This forum back in the day before the 2016 situation unfolded was far more interesting than the current paper money forum is. There's literally nothing that interests me there anymore. Maybe one topic a week I'll look at and post in but rarely do I ever post any notes there anymore because it seems that the forum is focused on other things that I don't collect.

  • redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

    @2ndCharter said:
    I've been a long-time poster on this Forum as well as the PMF but rarely participate any more. The reason why is that most of the posters focus on small size type and the grading companies. As a hard-core Nationals guy, that's not my cup of tea. The final straw was the guy in the PMF who posted a survey asking what people collected and didn't even include Nationals. Don't misunderstand me, there is certainly nothing wrong with other types of paper money - we all have different interests and that's OK. So, I'm spending most of my chat time in the private Facebook page devoted to National Bank Note collecting.

    I gotta disagree with you. The paper money forum is hardly a group that is dedicated to U.S. small size type notes. To me that forum seems like a big hodgepodge of miscellaneous and boring stuff, most of which isn't small size.

  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a shame because miscellaneous and boring stuff is one of my specialties. I could contribute much there, but why?Those who care (if any) can find me here.

    To me, small size is boring because they all look the same. However, I find that it's getting more interesting as more research is being done. I'm still more interested in reading an article about small size than many other subjects. "Boring" is subjective. If it's paper money, it's at least somewhat interesting. And the search for late finished back plates has elements of the get rich quick appeal of plucking key dates from circulation back in the mid 20th century. I'd play but I don't get to go through many junk boxes these days.

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When I was still actively collecting, I collected just about everything United States. Small, large, Fractional, Nationals , experimentals, Obsoletes, Emergency issues, Confederate, errors, fancy’s, souvenir cards, ephemera and everything in between. Some collectors narrow their field to only one of the above areas and become experts in that particular genre, but sometimes feel bored or left out of all of the other discussions. Every time I logged on to the forums, there was a plethora of topics that interested me.

  • redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

    That's exactly why I and many others have gravitated towards the Facebook groups and spend far more time on that. You can target a specific group with others who share the same interest while not having to sort through a hundred threads that have no interest to you.

  • jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

    I'd be curious to see what Facebook has to offer but I'm not sure those groups are open to me as a lurker since I have so far resisted getting a FB account. I find it easy enough to parse through and ignore threads on things that I don't collect and therefore have little interest to me. At the very least, I think that it's nice that the PMF has a decently active BST. Just my 2 cents.

  • redseal53redseal53 Posts: 26
    edited June 30, 2023 6:55PM

    My FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1273480216393478

    My forum: https://currency-kingdom.forumotion.com/

    I am looking at doing construction on the forum.

    PMF in 2016 to 2021 was a great forum, even with the bickering in 2020 and 2021. Once O/T went away, that was part of the downfall, along with mismanagement.

    I was one of the main people who kept small size alive.

    Sadly, if I dare call out any issues, I get hit with the ban bat over there.

    This is one of the reasons I have gone rouge over there. There is a total lack of respect over there, and over here, there is far more respect. This speaks volumes as to what has become of PMF, which s very sad.

  • redseal53redseal53 Posts: 26
    edited June 30, 2023 7:31PM

    @sellitstore said:

    @Steve_in_Tampa said:

    @Staircoins said:
    What is wrong with PaperMoneyForum? Something going on over there? I must have missed it. Do tell.

    The OP was once a respected member there. Then, back in the Covid-19 era, PMF relaxed their “Topics” policy and allowed political discussions. Things got heated. Things got said. Warnings were issued and eventually, the OP was banned. That’s it in a nutshell.

    I had the same experience.

    Thinking that they could fairly moderate political discussions was a fool's errand. I was never told exactly why I was banned but, a few months later, I was invited back. No thanks.

    I can offer some valuable contributions and I believe that I'm an asset to either board. And I learn here, too. It's a two-way street.

    Now let's talk about some nationals-the natural extension of my favorite currency-obsoletes.

    That is just plain wrong. He did it to me as well.

    I could use someone well versed in Nationals on my FB page and on my forum. You will be treated with UTMOST respect. That is my promise to everyone.

    I have an O/T, two of them in fact.

  • redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2023 9:49PM

    @jeffas1974 said:
    I'd be curious to see what Facebook has to offer but I'm not sure those groups are open to me as a lurker since I have so far resisted getting a FB account. I find it easy enough to parse through and ignore threads on things that I don't collect and therefore have little interest to me. At the very least, I think that it's nice that the PMF has a decently active BST. Just my 2 cents.

    Yeah the BST is really good over there. People seem to get fast results

  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2023 10:09AM

    @jeffas1974 said:
    I'd be curious to see what Facebook has to offer but I'm not sure those groups are open to me as a lurker since I have so far resisted getting a FB account. I find it easy enough to parse through and ignore threads on things that I don't collect and therefore have little interest to me. At the very least, I think that it's nice that the PMF has a decently active BST. Just my 2 cents.

    Ever wonder what product that FB sells to its advertizers?
    You are that product...read their TOS

  • @synchr said:

    @jeffas1974 said:
    I'd be curious to see what Facebook has to offer but I'm not sure those groups are open to me as a lurker since I have so far resisted getting a FB account. I find it easy enough to parse through and ignore threads on things that I don't collect and therefore have little interest to me. At the very least, I think that it's nice that the PMF has a decently active BST. Just my 2 cents.

    Ever wonder what product that FB sells to its advertizers?
    You are that product...read their TOS

    Ad blockers go a long way.

  • "Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity."

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021

This discussion has been closed.