Home Sports Talk

Say "hello" to Corbin Carroll -- baseball's newest Super Star

2»

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Corbin Carroll hit his 9th Triple of the season today -- the most in all of MLB. I love watching that dude -- definitely deserves ROY award!

Kid is having himself a Season!!!

• 25 Homers, 50 Stolen Bases, 109 Runs, and leading his team to the playoffs -- the dude can play!

@charliej2356 said:
    25 Homers, 50 Stolen Bases, 109 Runs, and leading his team to the playoffs -- the dude can play!

He is doing better than my boy Cruz

Good that this kid is playing so well and your a fan

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Corbin Carroll hit his 9th Triple of the season today -- the most in all of MLB. I love watching that dude -- definitely deserves ROY award!

Hes pretty much a lock at this point even if he just sat out the rest of the season. Senga for the Mets is really his only competition and he should get it over him.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• I agree with you, Basebal21. I don't think Senga will have enough Wins -- and Senga is about 30 years old -- a 30-yr-old should never win a ROY award.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

The royals have a pretty good shortstop in Bobby witt jr.
    Hitting about .278, 29 HR, 91 RBI, 48 SB.
    23 years old and its nice all his numbers have improved over his rookie year. Playing great defense at SS also.
    Corbin Carroll, Julio Rodriguez and Bobby all have a great combination of speed and power.
    But they are looking up to the king Ronald Acuna who looks like he will finish with 40+ HR and 70+ SB along with a national league mvp award.

@charliej2356 said:
    I agree with you, Basebal21. I don't think Senga will have enough Wins -- and Senga is about 30 years old -- a 30-yr-old should never win a ROY award.

Age shouldnt matter. Whether youre 19 or 39 youre either a rookie or not.

There should be separate awards for the position players and pitchers though given the massive innings played differences they have. They wont because that would mean more money for players in arbitration but it should be how they do it like they do NL and AL

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Darin said:
    The royals have a pretty good shortstop in Bobby witt jr.
    Hitting about .278, 29 HR, 91 RBI, 48 SB.
    23 years old and its nice all his numbers have improved over his rookie year. Playing great defense at SS also.
    Corbin Carroll, Julio Rodriguez and Bobby all have a great combination of speed and power.
    But they are looking up to the king Ronald Acuna who looks like he will finish with 40+ HR and 70+ SB along with a national league mvp award.

I been keeping an eye on him as well

• **Basebal21 wrote: "Age shouldnt matter. Whether youre 19 or 39 youre either a rookie or not."

I disagree that age shouldn't matter! Kodai Senga played in the Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) league for 10 years before he pitched for the Mets this year. I'm aware that he's still a rookie in the eyes of MLB -- but I think that stinks -- and I'll admit that I don't know how I would change the definition of rookie.

@charliej2356 said:
    **Basebal21 wrote: "Age shouldnt matter. Whether youre 19 or 39 youre either a rookie or not."

I disagree that age shouldn't matter! Kodai Senga played in the Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) league for 10 years before he pitched for the Mets this year. I'm aware that he's still a rookie in the eyes of MLB -- but I think that stinks -- and I'll admit that I don't know how I would change the definition of rookie.

Playing in Japan is the equivalent of playing in the high minors. Theres some guys that could play in the MLB but most would fail. Should a guy not be allowed to win the award for spending 10 years in the minors and finally getting a call up? MLB is the elite league and its really not even close even though Japan is the 2nd best league. Theres a reason guys that fail in the MLB or are at the end of their careers sign in Japan and not the other way around.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

Great way for Corbin Carroll to begin his playoff career ...

AZ could be a dark horse to.win it all

perkdog:
    As an AZ fan, I'd call them a very dark horse -- I'll be happy if they simply win their first round.

Hmmm, maybe if they win a round, someone (besides you and me) will say Yup, Corbin Carroll deserves some hype!

edited October 25, 2023 5:05AM

Corbin Carroll was the star of last night's 4-2 victory that sent the D-Backs to the World Series. Carroll either scored or drove in each of the D-Back's four runs in their Game-7 victory.

@charliej2356 said:

Corbin Carroll was the star of last night's 4-2 victory that sent the D-Backs to the World Series. Carroll either scored or drove in each of the D-Back's four runs in their Game-7 victory.

Saw that I forgot to post about it here

Congrats on the big game!!

Corbin Carroll, the D-backs star rookie, had a game to remember in Game 7. Carroll singled three times, stole two bases, and played a huge part in scoring all four of the D-backs' runs in this game.

OK boys, let's hear a little chatter about this rookie's performance. I realize that he doesn't play in New York, or LA, or Boston, but let's hear it: the dude is a star, and he's really fun to watch! Is anybody awake out there, or are you all just pissed that Corbin doesn't play on your favorite team ...

I'd take him.on the Sox!

I'm rooting for a good world series. I don't have any stake in it

Let's see if the rookie can keep.ip his hot bat for this series, it should be good. It's good to see this kid do well, it's good for baseball when rookies rip it up

edited May 1, 2024 12:51PM

Very tough month of April for last year’s rookie of the year!
    So last year his worst month of the season he hit .250 with an .800 ops.
    This April he hit .193 with a .538 ops. and a 56 ops+ with 4 extra base hits the whole month.
    Is he playing hurt or just a terrible slump to start the year?

edited May 1, 2024 1:27PM

Vlad Guerrero and Bo Bichette are struggling as well

@perkdog said:

Julio Rodriguez is struggling also. BA isn’t terrible at .256 but slugging % is only .308

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Julio Rodriguez is struggling also. BA isn’t terrible at .256 but slugging % is only .308

Yep I forgot about him.

Judge isn't all that productive either, bunch of guys are off to a slow start.

Perk…. Thanks that’s a nice article about some of the guys who are struggling.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Meanwhile, Elly De La Cruz became the first player to have 8 homers and 17 SB in a calendar month.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Very tough month of April for last year’s rookie of the year!
    So last year his worst month of the season he hit .250 with an .800 ops.
    This April he hit .193 with a .538 ops. and a 56 ops+ with 4 extra base hits the whole month.
    Is he playing hurt or just a terrible slump to start the year?

Possibly ROY jinx.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

It’s gotten really bad and now after 187 plate appearances it’s more than just a poor start. Bobby has been slumping lately but still miles ahead of Corbin.

Carroll is struggling big time. Might explain why Charlie J hasn't been in this thread for awhile lol

@perkdog said:
    Carroll is struggling big time. Might explain why Charlie J hasn't been in this thread for awhile lol

I heard Carroll is not dealing with an injury of any kind. He said a couple weeks ago he needs to work on
    ‘Attack angle’ or angle of the bat through the swing plane. Nothing working so far.
    Just really weird that he’s struggling this much after a great rookie year.
    Meanwhile AL rookie of the year Gunnar Henderson is having a great year so far with almost one third of the regular season gone.

Yep, I sure miss last year's version of Corbin Carroll -- not sure why he's sucking so much. I'm starting to blame myself! Last November, we adopted a young male cat -- and I named him Corbin. Six months later, our cat is a holy terror (not at all a nice cat) and the baseball player has forgotten how to hit!! Do I need to kill the cat? Just askin'. :-)

@charliej2356 said:
    Yep, I sure miss last year's version of Corbin Carroll -- not sure why he's sucking so much. I'm starting to blame myself! Last November, we adopted a young male cat -- and I named him Corbin. Six months later, our cat is a holy terror (not at all a nice cat) and the baseball player has forgotten how to hit!! Do I need to kill the cat? Just askin'. :-)

Don't kill the cat, Corbin will come around 😂😂😂

First year the league adjusts to you, 2nd year you have to adjust to the league. His first and second half splits were rather noticable last year too as teams got better scouting reports on him. Doesnt help several other guys on that team are really struggling right now too

Missouri 14 OSU 3