Home Sports Talk
Options

Say "hello" to Corbin Carroll -- baseball's newest Super Star

Corbin Carroll plays outfield for the first-place Arizona Diamondbacks. He's just 22 years old, and the guy can absolutely do it all. He is perhaps the fastest guy in MLB -- and at just 5'10", he hits for both power and average. Here are his 2023 stats:
Ave: .308
Homers: 13
Runs: 47
OPS: .968
Steals: 19 (2 caught stealing)
No outfield errors

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elly de la cruz for the Reds is another budding star, he just got called up.

Hopefully these guys are not the next Juan Soto

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Yep, I hear ya Perkdog.

I've read a lot of stuff about Corbin Carroll and he has wonderful parents (and an athletic sister). The Diamondbacks are "all in" -- they gave him something like an 8-year rookie contract -- they believe he's a first-class young man and will continue to build their team around him. At 22, he's rich now -- and hopefully will stay hungry and focused.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Yep, I hear ya Perkdog.

I've read a lot of stuff about Corbin Carroll and he has wonderful parents (and an athletic sister). The Diamondbacks are "all in" -- they gave him something like an 8-year rookie contract -- they believe he's a first-class young man and will continue to build their team around him. At 22, he's rich now -- and hopefully will stay hungry and focused.

They gave him 8 years 111 million which is highway robbery if he lives up to his prospect hype. The 8th year is an option with a 5 million buyout and almost half the contract is in years 6 and 7. He’s only guaranteed 7 years 93 million buyout included so it’s really not a risk for the team.

A lot of teams are attempting to do these types of contracts now since if they miss it’s not a big deal since the big money is towards the end and if they hit it saves you a 100 million or more. When its done that early it’s also really hard for guys to say no that don’t come from rich families.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@charliej2356 said:
    Yep, I hear ya Perkdog.

They gave him 8 years 111 million which is highway robbery if he lives up to his prospect hype. The 8th year is an option with a 5 million buyout and almost half the contract is in years 6 and 7. He’s only guaranteed 7 years 93 million buyout included so it’s really not a risk for the team.

A lot of teams are attempting to do these types of contracts now since if they miss it’s not a big deal since the big money is towards the end and if they hit it saves you a 100 million or more. When its done that early it’s also really hard for guys to say no that don’t come from rich families.

This is actually a very good point, 8 years for 111 is damn good but it could be less money for a guy who is a fast talent, I'm not sure what average rookie deals are though

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@charliej2356 said:
    Yep, I hear ya Perkdog.

This is actually a very good point, 8 years for 111 is damn good but it could be less money for a guy who is a fast talent, I'm not sure what average rookie deals are though

700k first year rookies. 7 93 which could be 8 111 is a really low end deal. You can get almost 30 during arbitration if you’re that good and would be a free agent after 6 seasons. It’s probably a decent deal for him as his life is now changed and if he gets hurt they have to pay him. A lot of these teams wait till the last year then wonder why a player won’t take a below market deal. They did it right with him, if you’re gonna do it and believe in the player do it right away where it works for both parties

• Options

Corbin Carroll can plain and simply "do it all". He's fun to watch and a joy to cheer for (since he's well-mannered, well-spoken, and appears to be humble). Man, the ball really jumps off his bat, he has crazy speed, and gets a good read on fly balls. I'm sure we'll see him in the All-Star game (at 22 years old). 15 home runs, 19 stolen bases, and counting!

• Options

My two favorite players -- two very talented young guys (and two polite, well-spoken, modest young men)
    https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/37896618?fbclid=IwAR3YHtT1gbU68ffVl7ZgRics2OcPevLEUYtwUsQiO4JClJiB8LT91eSwFe4

• Options

Elly De LA Cruz is igniting the Reds during their 11 game win streak!

• Options
    edited June 28, 2023 8:21PM

Hard running on his part, but it was also an error on Call who booted the ball and then had to throw flat footed picking it up

• Options

Hmmmm, doesn't sound like you're very impressed Basebal21.

Let me ask you this: What percentage of MLB players would have scored from first on that play?

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    Hmmmm, doesn't sound like you're very impressed Basebal21.

Let me ask you this: What percentage of MLB players would have scored from first on that play?

I'm not impressed by that play. Most players in the league would have scored from first on that play if they were running hard. He didnt score from a single from first, he scored from a single and an error.

Call is a bad journeyman backup outfielder that was playing on a bad team and made an error fielding the ball. If he fields it cleanly or a better CF was out there the play at home would havent even been close and been out by a mile.

Credit to Carroll for running hard and he does have a good highlight reel, that play just isn't one of them other than his hustle

• Options

Basebal21: "Most players in the league would have scored from first on that play if they were running hard. "

Sorry my man, you are completely wrong. Corbin Carroll is perhaps the only player in MLB who can run that fast (there might be 2 or 3 others). In any event, your contention that most players would have scored is blatantly wrong. Nuf said.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    Basebal21: "Most players in the league would have scored from first on that play if they were running hard. "

Sorry my man, you are completely wrong. Corbin Carroll is perhaps the only player in MLB who can run that fast (there might be 2 or 3 others). In any event, your contention that most players would have scored is blatantly wrong. Nuf said.

If you think Caroll is in the top 4 for speed as you said "nuf said"

Are you denying the error by Call on the play?

Its actually insulting to Caroll to think a highlight of him scoring on on an error is one of his best plays. I dont understand why saying what happened on a play somehow turned into this

• Options

Am I the only one who likes this guy? If so, I'll stop making updates on this thread. If I get a few "Likes", then I'll keep making updates.
    https://mail.aol.com/d/folders/1/messages/ALGXDpoXj-h9ZJ4hVQWVsKUnpx8

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    Am I the only one who likes this guy? If so, I'll stop making updates on this thread. If I get a few "Likes", then I'll keep making updates.

Keep it going, I actually been following him and taking him when he is available for my daily fantasy teams.

I'm following him and Ell DE LA Cruz

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 5:47AM

I just hit the like tab on your posts, I enjoy watching up and comers like this, it's fun

• Options

@charliej2356 said:

He's off to a great start for sure. I would suggest though finding links where the video can be played from within the thread. I know thats harder since twitter decided to lock it down yesterday if you arent logged in, but a lot of people just dont like clicking external links in threads

• Options

I hear ya, Basebal21 -- but I'm simply not that tech-savvy.

• Options

Fun Fact: The Diamondbacks are the only MLB team to avoid being shutout so far this year.

• Options

Theyre also the fastest expansion team to win a WS

• Options

Carroll is "Day to day" I saw on my daily fantasy

• Options
    edited July 1, 2023 5:01AM

@charliej2356 said:
    Fun Fact: The Diamondbacks are the only MLB team to avoid being shutout so far this year.

That is an interesting stat, to score in every game through June is impressive, wonder how many teams have done that

• Options

It'll be interesting to see where Corbin Carroll bats in the star-studded All-Star lineup. My guess: He'll bat 2nd -- not bad for 22-year-old rookie!

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    It'll be interesting to see where Corbin Carroll bats in the star-studded All-Star lineup. My guess: He'll bat 2nd -- not bad for 22-year-old rookie!

My boy Ell De LA Cruz deserves a spot!!

• Options

perkdog: I think your boy Ell DE LA Cruz started this season a little too late to get a spot in the big game next Tuesday -- but his reputation as a star is certainly rising.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    perkdog: I think your boy Ell DE LA Cruz started this season a little too late to get a spot in the big game next Tuesday -- but his reputation as a star is certainly rising.

I agree

• Options

Davey should spend more time worrying about the fact Alex Call is his CF and less time complaining about the most harmless homerun celebration of all time. (Terrible title by Hubbs but I get it he wants clicks lol).

Davey and the Nats knew exactly what it was, it makes zero difference if it has the sensor or not for the game, its a long term tracking tool and I guess he liked that it provides some padding. Cruz should have been doing airplane wings around the bases and having a dance party before touching home like Sanatana did on his walk off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzk82VSeVRU

There really needs to be some sort of penalty for asking for a check and being wrong. At the very least it should count as a challenge so managers stop using it as a way to mess with someone. The current rule of a manager could be ejected if deemed in bad faith is a complete joke.

If you ask for a check and youre wrong that should be the same as a challenge and there goes your challenge for the game. You also should have unlimited challenges as long as youre right every time. It always amazes me just how dumb MLB is with a lot of the rules they make

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Davey should spend more time worrying about the fact Alex Call is his CF and less time complaining about the most harmless homerun celebration of all time. (Terrible title by Hubbs but I get it he wants clicks lol).

Davey and the Nats knew exactly what it was, it makes zero difference if it has the sensor or not for the game, its a long term tracking tool and I guess he liked that it provides some padding. Cruz should have been doing airplane wings around the bases and having a dance party before touching home like Sanatana did on his walk off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzk82VSeVRU

There really needs to be some sort of penalty for asking for a check and being wrong. At the very least it should count as a challenge so managers stop using it as a way to mess with someone. The current rule of a manager could be ejected if deemed in bad faith is a complete joke.

If you ask for a check and youre wrong that should be the same as a challenge and there goes your challenge for the game. You also should have unlimited challenges as long as youre right every time. It always amazes me just how dumb MLB is with a lot of the rules they make

Agreed

• Options
    edited July 9, 2023 6:01AM
  • Options

Like when Tatis tagged up on a fly ball to 2nd. Theres a couple guys in the game right now with legitimate sprinter speed people are just going to have to learn they cant be lazy about things with them on the bases

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Like when Tatis tagged up on a fly ball to 2nd. Theres a couple guys in the game right now with legitimate sprinter speed people are just going to have to learn they cant be lazy about things with them on the bases

I love Tatis

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I love Tatis

Same. Its too bad his career will be wasted until Preller gets fired and will take probably at least 4 or 5 years to undo the damage hes done being one of if not the worst GMs in all of MLB

• Options

Corbin Carroll keeps playing well [20th Homer today, to go along with his 29 Stolen Bases]. Unfortunately, his Arizona D-Backs are losing lots of games and have been falling badly in the standings. Still looks very likely that Corbin will win NL ROY.

• Options

Ell De LA Cruz has been quiet si ce the break, hopefully he will get back on track soon, plenty of baseball to go!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Ell De LA Cruz has been quiet si ce the break, hopefully he will get back on track soon, plenty of baseball to go!

2-31 since July 14. Down to OPS+ of 99.

• Options

perkdog: Both Corbin Carroll and Ell De LA Cruz went deep today -- so, our heroes did us proud today, :smile:

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    perkdog: Both Corbin Carroll and Ell De LA Cruz went deep today -- so, our heroes did us proud today, :smile:

🙌

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

i bet i've pulled 250 Mitchell Pages from 1980 Topps packs in my lifetime

hope this Carroll kid doesn't flame out spectacularly the way he did

• Options

"hope this Carroll kid doesn't flame out spectacularly ..."

Likewise, I also hope this Carroll kid doesn't flame out spectacularly [obviously]. I've read a bit about how he and his sister were raised -- and I think Corbin will remain humble and hungry. He's fun to watch and he's on a very young and aggressive team. The D-Backs have been going "all in" lately to improve their team -- and I like their chemistry right now.

• Options

"All in" is a strong term but they're trying to make the playoffs which is all you can ask. Theyre going to regret that Pham trade, hes just not good and brings down teams that hes on

• Options

Must have been kinda surreal last night for rookie Corbin Carroll who hit a home run off of future HOF'er Clayton Kershaw. [I'm sure he grew up watching him be the best pitcher in baseball.]

• Options

My Guy Cruz has been quiet after the break, hopefully he doesn't get lost in the shuffle going into next season

• Options

Your Guy Cruz has a few holes in his swing right now. He's very young and on a very young team who will work with him to cut down on his strikeouts. It's also more complicated for Cruz because he's a switch hitter. I think he'll be fine -- he has all the tools.

• Options

Corbin Carroll hit his 9th Triple of the season today -- the most in all of MLB. I love watching that dude -- definitely deserves ROY award!