Home U.S. Coin Forum

Second "VDB V" 2023 Lincoln cent die reported.

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over on Facebook it is reported that a second 2023 Lincoln cent die with a thin V to the right of the VDB has been reported, this time with the extra V a bit further right.

Does anybody here have the photographic capability to take a closeup of the VDB on a normal 2022 Lincoln cent and the same on a normal 2023 Lincoln cent and do an overlay, using the back point of the shoulder as a reference point? I am not expecting any differences, but am trying to figure out what happened and wish to rule out any possibility that the VDB was moved somehow.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the pictures on Facebook, if you take the length of the "VDB" as one unit of length, the extra "V" was about 0.6 of that unit to the right of the B on the original variety, while on the new variety the extra "V" is about 1.6 of that unit to the right of the B. These are of course rough estimations eyeballed from the pictures, but the difference is noticeable.

Still no idea what caused the extra "V" markings.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any way you could post the pictures here?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

+1

Not my pictures to post.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second V looks raised and not incused, no?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe just my thought, NOT FROM THE SAME FONT !
    or their changing it, and they changed their mind in the middle (1/3 rd actually) of the thought.
    Don't ask me. I had trouble in first grade with my penmanship of the same standard. Even kept me after school.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... Now I will be hunting through my pocket change and cent jar.... Stay tuned... Cheers, RickO

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s from one or two dies used there are probably 50,000 plus out there, no? What’s the average die life these days?

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vertex angle of the V's do not appear to be the same.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint employee hijinks??

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    The second V looks raised and not incused, no?

It doesn't look to be the size or shape of the correct "V".

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
    edited June 8, 2023 1:24PM

Does anyone else have one of the "Far V" coins that they can take pictures of?

• bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
  • bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Seems to be out there for months already.

That is the original finding. There is a new finding with the apparent extra "V" much further to the right, near Lincoln's lapel. This thread is about the new finding.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the major grading services consider this variety significant enough to warrant being shown on the slab label?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:
    Will the major grading services consider this variety significant enough to warrant being shown on the slab label?

Don't know yet.

edited September 22, 2023 9:51PM

Looks like someone requested the rev. of the coin be put on the front of the slab.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR said:
    Looks like someone requested the rev. of the coin be but on the front of the slab.

I don't get it. Why?

Pete

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is interesting to me. I get so little change these days but I checked a small pile of change on my desk and I do not have any 2023 cents.

Without knowing for sure, I would chalk this up to US Mint shenanigans. I wonder if the US Mint Philly Employee was identified and what the repercussions were. Anyone figure this out?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Looks like someone requested the rev. of the coin be but on the front of the slab.

I don't get it. Why?

Pete

Reverse facing is default for shield cents. You have to request front facing. But your question is valid, it just needs to be aimed at the TPG's.

edited June 8, 2023 6:59PM

@keyman64 said:
    This is interesting to me. I get so little change these days but I checked a small pile of change on my desk and I do not have any 2023 cents.

Without knowing for sure, I would chalk this up to US Mint shenanigans. I wonder if the US Mint Philly Employee was identified and what the repercussions were. Anyone figure this out?

If anyone can figure it out, @CaptHenway can. There have been several "what appear to be" intentional die/design modification during a production of a series over the years, with little to no explanation why.

I've even submitted FOIA requests to the US Treasury and Mint to try and track down information, records or documentation why.

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I don't get it. Why?

Pete

If @Manifest_Destiny is correct and the Rev. facing is default for shield cents, I would have requested NGC to put the Obv. on the front of that slab.....since that's where the extra V is. I've requested TPG'ers put my speared eagles (reverse of the coin) facing forward on the slabs, since that's where the die gouge is located.

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I don't get it. Why?

Pete

Reverse facing is default for shield cents. You have to request front facing. But your question is valid, it just needs to be aimed at the TPG's.

I didn't know that......................

Pete

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

From which mint?

@Fraz said:
    From which mint?

Philadelphia

I'm still looking and checking.

Still only the one report of the "Far V" die, and I can't get good pictures of it.

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

it will be a long time before a 2023 Philly makes its way to CA...

Still looking and checking.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

Don't know yet.

I think we have an answer:

I saw this coin a few days ago, maybe I can snap a few closeups if needed.

The coin is super ugly, it looks like someone sneezed on it.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

edited October 12, 2023 11:37AM

Whatever happened to the second die with the alleged extra "V" further to the right? I have still not yet seen good pictures of it.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty interesting I must say. 👍

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:
    If it’s from one or two dies used there are probably 50,000 plus out there, no? What’s the average die life these days?

Sure, there will probably be nearly million of each produced but the attrition on these little worthless slugs is incredible. Even before production is complete tens of thousands will be tossed in the trash or dropped in parking lots.

It might also be noted that in recent years the vast majority of brand new pennies are badly spotted and tarnished. When interest on these fades because they are too common there will be almost no nice examples and most in circulation will have been destroyed in the intervening months.

Tempus fugit.
  • maymay Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    It might also be noted that in recent years the vast majority of brand new pennies are badly spotted and tarnished. When interest on these fades because they are too common there will be almost no nice examples and most in circulation will have been destroyed in the intervening months.

That’s the problem with newer coins , they circulate very badly and get ugly fast.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a bunch of them on eBay. There are smoe that have the V close and far from VDB. I saw one with two V's and one with a V just up on the edge of Lincoln's shoulder.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Is this one? I found it a couple of months ago and put it in a flip.

Yes. That is the main variety. Others are reported, and I was hoping to get a picture of the other variety(s).

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@cladking said:

That’s the problem with newer coins , they circulate very badly and get ugly fast.

Clad never used to do this. In the old days clads wore down very very slowly but most looked better as they circulated because the wear hid the horrible manufacturing defects. Most Fines looked better than most BU's. Now days it looks like almost every clad in circulation has been through a meat grinder, twice. The pennies barely circulate before they are lost but get chewed up as well and then the zinc core evaporates. Of course it hardly matters since they come out of brand new rolls with staining and tarnish.

It's ironic that the mint improved quality so much in 1999 for the states quarters but pocket change looks worse than it ever did. If you want modern coins you better get them before they go into circulation and protect the pennies from corrosion.

Tempus fugit.

Bump

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one I decided to get. The population in MS67 PCGS grades remains fairly low, and it seems like a fun modern die variety. Most all of the other variations of "V"'s that I have looked at on eBay, look homemade and more like post mint chicken scratches.

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

I got this one . . .

• Your 2023 extra V looks authentic , it has the tiny die chip on Lincoln's forehead . Looks authentic to me , great find

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the mint located the tampered die and confirmed the alteration?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

@Namvet69 said:
    Has the mint located the tampered die and confirmed the alteration?

Not a chance!.........ever

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file