Home Sports Talk

The two shortest quarterbacks in NFL history

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting fact you may or may not know, Eddie LeBaron and Davey O' Brien were the two shortest quarterbacks in NFL history, both stood just 5'7".

Eddie LeBaron

Davey O' Brien

Eddie LeBaron, Davey O'Brien Both Stood 5'7

Every year, when the NFL Draft rolls around, much is made about the heights of the quarterbacks in the draft class.

There is no doubt that NFL teams prefer tall quarterbacks. After all, it is easy to see the advantage in being a tall quarterback, as you'll be able to see over the offensive and defensive linesmen.

Shorter quarterbacks have done well in the NFL over recent years - Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are just some of the "shorter" quarterbacks that have done well.

-

The question becomes - who was the shortest quarterback to ever play in the NFL?

Two NFL quarterbacks - Davey O'Brien and Eddie LeBaron - both clocked in at 5'7, making them the shortest quarterbacks of all time.

Eddie LeBaron, sometimes referred to as the "Little General", was drafted in the 10th round of the 1950 Draft by the Washington Redskins.

After returning from the Korean War, LeBaron joined the Redskins, where he won Rookie of the Year in 1952.

LeBaron, who is in the Washington Commanders Ring of Fame, made the Pro Bowl a total of 4 times, and finished his career with 13,399 passing yards and 104 touchdowns.

After leaving to play in Canada in the mid 1950s, LeBaron returned to the United States, where he played with both the Redskins and Cowboys.

LeBaron enjoyed an interesting career after retirement, where he was an announcer for CBS Sports and eventually served as the GM of the Atlanta Falcons.

-

Davey O'Brien also stood 5'7.

The TCU QB was the fourth overall pick in the 1939 draft, being selected by the Philadelphia Eagles.

This was before the days of lucrative contracts, so O'Brien's time in the league was short, despite the fact that he was a 2x Second-team All-Pro.

After just two years in the league, O'Brien decided that he was going to work for the FBI, and his football career was over, just like that.

It's hard to imagine that there will ever be a NFL quarterback shorter than 5'7, especially given how big the players are these days.

Comments

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well with a name like "Davey" you just have to be small! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is crazy but back in the 40's and 50's guys were typically smaller though

We are talking 225 pound lineman that probably averaged roughly 6 feet tall

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a 5'7" QB back then would be considered relatively taller than a 5'10" QB now, in terms of ability to play QB successfully as a pro.

@perkdog said:

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2023 2:29AM

@perkdog said:

Very interesting, I did not realize that!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course without Aaron Rodgers, the 1930s NFL would have been unwatchable for me. His drama, blaming teammates for his failures, threatening retirement after every season, losing to the 49ers in the playoffs year after year, eating psychadelic mushrooms, dressing up as a Cowboy. The NFL in the 1930s would have been a lot more entertaining with Aaron Rodgers!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if heights were exaggerated back then like they are now? were those guys actually 5'5" without shoes?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Of course without Aaron Rodgers, the 1930s NFL would have been unwatchable for me. His drama, blaming teammates for his failures, threatening retirement after every season, losing to the 49ers in the playoffs year after year, eating psychadelic mushrooms, dressing up as a Cowboy. The NFL in the 1930s would have been a lot more entertaining with Aaron Rodgers!

Curly Lambeau would have put Aaron Rodgers in his place…

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

If Arron Rogers had been around in the 1930s, the owners would have dumped him. He could have said, "I'm going to retire if you don't pay me more," and the owners would have said, "Have a nice life in retirement."

Pro football was on the hungry line in those days. College football got almost all of the attention.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't Doug Flutie only 5'9

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Isn't Doug Flutie only 5'9

Listed at 5'10 but yea. 5'9 if you believe they add an inch on the listings which would many many QB's like Theisman and Vick were actually under 6 feet

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Drew Brees listed height was exaggerated as well

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I always thought Drew Brees listed height was exaggerated as well

All you have to do is check the combine numbers. Yea they get pumped a bit in college but once it gets to the NFL the league tries to keep numbers as low as possible as it keeps their costs down.

There is an old story he stared at the doctor until he changed it from 5'11 7/8ths to 6'0 1/4th. Its very likely some folklore rumor that seems pretty impressive if you can pull it off, but even if it was true it would make no difference at all between those two heights. It looks better starting with a 6 instead of 5 but its the same height

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 3:28PM

Moe Howard was only 5 foot three

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.