Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IHC straight grade or no?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering about this IHC, a small toning or other spot
may preclude a numerical grade, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photos it looks like the surfaces have corrosion. Odd coloration.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that single spot on the obv would negate a straight grade by itself. But it looks like the coin may have been messed with in the past so I'm thinking it would not straight grade.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2023 9:32AM

Inside the "c" there is a spot.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plenty of copper is straight-graded with a single carbon spot or two of that size. However, I agree that the color appears off somewhat, but given the low resolution of the images I can't tell if the surfaces are porous, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I did a couple more, sorry for the substandard resolution. I dipped in acetone and used a toothpick without any positive effect which was probably not good.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I agree with most of the posters, I think the color is whats going to keep it from straight grading

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the color does not look unnatural to me, it does have a dirty look. The spot is not uncommon on IHC's that straight grade with an appropriate grade reduction for the spot.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures, I think the coin will straight grade.... Color indicates there may have been a past dip... but nothing radical. And the dark spot is a detraction, but likely not severe enough to get details. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Unless I am overlooking something, this is a $40-60 coin (full retail). Why bother getting it graded?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

The carbon spot is a little distracting but I'd be more concerned about the green spot of corrosion at 9 o'clock on the obverse. That and the color being somewhat off leads me to doubt a straight grade, but I've been wrong before...

As far as submitting $50 coins for grading... it depends on the individual collector and how they want their collection displayed. If you're going for a uniform appearance with all coins slabbed at a particular grade... go for it! Some just like the reassurance that the coin is "problem free" ... at least to some extent... ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file