Home U.S. Coin Forum

Extremely Rare Modern Jefferson Nickel Error Coins

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have passion for Jefferson Nickel error coins. The later the date they get, the rarer they become.

Below is what I believe to be the most dramatic error on the most modern date Jefferson Nickel on earth. (Post a photo if you've seen a Nicer one.)

Post your extremely rare modern Jefferson Nickel errors dated 2002 and beyond.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is sweet!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool... and sure do not see many modern errors.... Thanks for the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt anyone will be able to top that. Great coin and eye appeal.

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess quality control has really improved at the Mint. When I collected error coins circa 2000 modern coins were quite common. I guess times have changed...BTW..here is my 1959 D double struck nickel...2nd strike 95% O/C.

@RLSnapper said:
    I guess quality control has really improved at the Mint. When I collected error coins circa 2000 modern coins were quite common. I guess times have changed...BTW..here is my 1959 D double struck nickel...2nd strike 95% O/C.

I hate to tell you, but I think it's PMD.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second that.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@RLSnapper said:

I hate to tell you, but I think it's PMD.

Hey- What's he trying to pull, messing up a great thread!! 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    My only contender, it counts for two years:

OK, you got me beat :)

What an exceptional coin <3

edited June 3, 2023 12:08PM

@ctf_error_coins said:

Post your extremely rare

That's all I needed to see. I'll just sit back and watch.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK wins hands down.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this thing count? Is it legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394660304044

Damn @ctf_error_coins! The TPG'ers have to fabricate custom holders just for your errors.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    I have passion for Jefferson Nickel error coins. The later the date they get, the rarer they become.

Below is what I believe to be the most dramatic error on the most modern date Jefferson Nickel on earth. (Post a photo if you've seen a Nicer one.)

Post your extremely rare modern Jefferson Nickel errors dated 2002 and beyond.

I wonder what caused the small protrusion at 3 o’clock?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2023 12:24AM

@CaptHenway said:
    I wonder what caused the small protrusion at 3 o’clock?

The second strike is off center, meaning the east edge of the coin is not constrained by the collar. Under these conditions, the edge of the coin tends to come out uneven (like, for example, when a Washington quarter is struck on a smaller denomination planchet).

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would an error like the above fit in a standard nickel wrap to come in a box? Would something like that have to come in a large mint bag??

@ctf_error_coins

Is the FS designation not used for Jefferson errors? It clearly has Full Steps.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the double struck piece – I think the area from 1 o’clock to 3 o’clock has been flattened from being jammed in a counting or rolling machine. That makes the 3 o’clock area look like it’s sticking out but I think it’s actually normal from 3 o’clock on down.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "bulge" lines up with the right end of the second building, but I cannot figure out why that would cause a bulge. I would expect that the extra demands upon the already struck coin to fill up the building in the reverse die would cause the opposite of a bulge, but I may be wrong. Still a great error.

Fred, I don't see that as damage, but I have no better explanation for the bulge. Could just be randomness as IkesT suggests.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The "bulge" lines up with the right end of the second building, but I cannot figure out why that would cause a bulge. I would expect that the extra demands upon the already struck coin to fill up the building in the reverse die would cause the opposite of a bulge, but I may be wrong. Still a great error.

Fred, I don't see that as damage, but I have no better explanation for the bulge. Could just be randomness as IkesT suggests.

Tom, that was my thinking as well. Both the buildings line up in that area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file