Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is Code "88" PCGS?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it's not graded, so there's a clue.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 3:07PM

Best to call PCGS for confirmation but I believe 88 means questionable authenticity...

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

88 isn't on their current code list.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

Agree
    Code 88 means “questionable authenticity”.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the codes for a "no holder" which wouldn't apply to your coin.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 3:16PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Best to call PCGS for confirmation but I believe 88 means questionable authenticity...

@WQuarterFreddie said:

They would not grade a coin "Gem Proof" if it had questionable authenticity.

There's nothing wrong with that coin. It is likely another marketing company coin that was submitted for a no grade.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

If the authenticity is questionable, they would not have slabbed it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Screen shot of the PCGS cert

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

They would not grade a coin "Gem Proof" if it had questionable authenticity.

There's nothing wrong with that coin. It is likely another marketing company coin that was submitted for a no grade.

Agreed. I stand corrected and that is why I prefaced my comment both with I believe and to call PCGS directly 😉

• Options

It appears 88 is code for "gem proof" and 89 is the code for "gem uncirculated"

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yes. I perused ebay and noted the proofs were all 88 and the unc 89.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

As already stated, a generic ungraded GEM Proof number. Not sure why they don't list it on the website under their number codes. Here was a previous discussion about the 88 code when they used it on an UNC quarter. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1086527/the-rarest-of-the-bat-coins-2020-w-gem-proof-quarter-now-available-for-only-125-000/p1

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭

I always thought "gem proof" means PR65.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only our host would bother to provide their collectors and the coin market with a comprehensive guide to their codes and designations... Unclear why they insist on keeping these hidden/secret.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing 88 is Genuine Proof and 89 is Genuine UNC. The Choice and Gem would be simply tag text qualifiers added, but not necessary, as it remains ungraded. Real old school dealer grading standards minus the slider deception. Find more with the 89 code. I am thinking not all of them say Gem as well.

• Options
    UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 92 ✭✭

alefzero: What is the "slider deception" ?

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleDano said:

The old days when AU would be claimed to be BU, a big part of what TPGs were to clean up.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2023 9:57AM

@alefzero said:

@UncleDano said:

The old days when AU would be claimed to be BU, a big part of what TPGs were to clean up.

This is done under Market Grading which is used by some TPGs and taught by the ANA today.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they would just spell it out for us.
    This code bla bla bla, just give us the news already.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I learned something today... ;) A good day already. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    I always thought "gem proof" means PR65.

I am NOT well versed in "adjectival" grades. So, I had to look for a conversion table.

It appears that PCGS sub-divides the "uncirculated" tier into multiple levels (i.e., BU, Choice BU, Select BU, Gem BU, and Superb BU). Reference

Assuming PCGS applies the same prefixes to proof coins, you are correct (i.e., "Gem Proof" approximates PR65 on the Sheldon scale).

Thanks for the post. I learned something new today, as well. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file