Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Anti Roll Hunt

Hi Group... new one on here... wanted to introduce y'all to my Beat the Heat hobby here in Southern Utah... I hoard the Rolls vs. search the Rolls.. my kid and I visit Banks and Credit Unions to see who'll part with their rolls.. still more of a challenge than one might think... 'Do you have an account' has prevented a few additions but most branches have been accommodating.. anyway, a visit to Dutch Bros and a run up North to a Chili's yielded these 2 rolls this past week...

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 8:50PM

Welcome! Interesting concept. Keep us posted on your beat the heat hobby.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭

For coins like the 2006 mintage the only way to get real circ coins was to get rolls this way.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Structurally, how are you planning to store your collection, given the anticipated weight load? Interesting idea. Don't cha wanna take a peek inside? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hoarderofcoins... Welcome aboard. Interesting concept. Could get to be a storage issue in a few years.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

As I was trying to get a quick bump in my monthly Hoard total I picked up this piece at US Bank.. this is Bank/CU 38 of 40 in my area... one today gave me the No Account line as she can't access the vault without that step... so I may not get the complete set.. in response to the weight/ storage issues, it's surprising how many will fit in a strong drawer... that's for another chat maybe another day...

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool way to create a unique collection. It would be interesting (and weigh less) to do that with $2 bills.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHAT ???? Is no one collecting BAGS of coins?
    I am shocked. :o

• Options

Ask and you shall receive.. here's 100 pieces of Manganese... its my only bag in the Hoard though... gets a bit spendy at the Mint premium plus the ship... though I do like the thought of many of them in the display cabinet...

• Options

Happy Saturday, group... here's a box i got a couple months ago... not to open and search but rather to sit indefinitely on the shelf... dated and with location card on it... thanks, Wells Fargo... anyone else collect coin boxes to leave unopened ??

• Options

398 to go... anyone else jumping in to this challenge ??

• Options

3 brand new Rolls going into the Coin Cave... each time I get these AWQ rolls it makes me bum more that I missed Maya...

• Options

Two strays going into box number 3... 23 more to go...

• Options

Well it's getting to 108 degrees where I am today.. I'll put these into my box of 10 and maybe stay inside with Jr. and just talk coins and work on his math and presidents.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your collection wouldn’t last long in my house. What’s for dinner?

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the concept unless you are planning on giving them to Jr. for him to open in the future 🤔

• Options

Freddie, that's all it is.. simply amassing a Hoard... I'm not in to the search-- outside a few quarters once in a while.. it's a mix of documentation, a fun challenge, and it gives me and kid things to do on these 100+ degree days.. banks, stores.. some places have already rebranded or closed so now there will be no more w that name..

• Options

@Hoarderofcoins said:
    Freddie, that's all it is.. simply amassing a Hoard... I'm not in to the search-- outside a few quarters once in a while.. it's a mix of documentation, a fun challenge, and it gives me and kid things to do on these 100+ degree days.. banks, stores.. some places have already rebranded or closed so now there will be no more w that name..

Interesting. Thank you for the explanation and sharing your finds. Awesome that you are getting your kid involved in the hunt!
    For the banks that make you open an account I suggest you open an account get your roll of coins and then close it soon after.
    Mission Accomplished!😉

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father used to live in St. George, UT until he moved to NC. Beautiful area but hotter than hell.

Good activity for you & your son on those days over 100 degrees.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

21 orphans to go... just sitting there.. in the box.. not to be opened...

• Options

As it only got to 102 degrees here today, the boy and I made a trip to other side of the county... thanks SBSU for the sale even without being account holders... 3 institutions left to get rolls from in these two towns of the county... one roll will go to his collection, one into my Box of 10...

• Options

Congratulations! Looking forward to the next trip report! 😎

• Options

Here's a surprise merchant pick up...I didn't even get it done. The wife did... thanks to the Team at Rinq and my awesome wife as we played w Jr. at the roller rink on this day of 109 degrees ..and this goes into my 'Box of 10'...

• Options

Here's 6/8 Rolls from a visit to SoCal this week. All going into my Box of 10... the other 2 rolls are odd balls that go into the Stray part of said box... as an aside, it was north of 100 degrees each day I was there... thought I was getting away from heat, but no...

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't you heard? There's a coin shortage... now I think I have figured out why.

Mark

• Options

Here's a couple more from my SoCal trip... 396 more till I'm at the Million penny mark... and Mark_dak, I still see 'Due to Shortage' flyers still up...also

to my surprise, many merchants in Ca. are not accepting cash. From a security stand point, I get it... as the vendor, i don't understand turning away sales...

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

The only word of caution I will give is watch that drawer carefully. As a kid I had a thing called a wardrobe cabinet to keep my clothes in. I also used the main, center area to store my rolls of wheat pennies and silver coins. One day I came home to find my collection on the floor of my room. My parents were not pleased. James

• Options
    SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I agree with everyone ;)
    Totally awesome Dad you are :) yes the best part of your story is that it is you and your son. :) I mean just my opinion.

I think the coins may be a shining in your direction,,, all work and no play

For the supposed coin shortage,, nope but we do have a worker shortage across every job out there for after COVID-19 I've learned a crucial lesson that nobody wants to work :( don't get me wrong I don't want to either, I'd blame the attic or some rooftops but and triple digits just at the end of the day it is what it is,,, hot 😂

Like the Bob Seger song "turn the page" as the sweat pours out your body,, up on the stage is where we all are.

I stopped the coin roll hunt and boxed my cassida C300 and I've only got a few boxes and well all my boxes of copper and what I thought too keep, ok ok I've got like 12 boxes pennies for they are my favorite and was the slowest to replenish for others :)

Still totally about you and your son, big-time kudos,I dig it even if their is no objective. You rock :)

Thanks all

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file