Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy Half No FG Opinion

I have an example that only shows the bottom half of the G with no F at 40X magnification. There are no obvious alterations. However I wonder if this is a mint error or an alteration.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flyguyfl Show us pics of what you speak of. Then your wonder may be realized. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can see any part of the F or G, it's not a NO FG.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 122 ✭✭

Thanks to both of you. I did not expect it to be a No but wondered if it was a mint error or somebody tried to alter the coin. New here so just learning how to post pics.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    If you can see any part of the F or G, it's not a NO FG.

This.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flyguyfl said:
    Thanks to both of you. I did not expect it to be a No but wondered if it was a mint error or somebody tried to alter the coin. New here so just learning how to post pics.

It could very well be due to a polished die, just not extreme enough to be a "No FG".

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flyguyfl ... Welcome aboard..... It could be a polished die, just not completely... Pictures will help us give a more conclusive answer. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the same situation several years ago when I came across a '66 SMS that only had a tiny bit of a partial faint G visible. everyone who chimed in said there had to be no trace of either initial. However, I did find this PCGS graded coin that was attributed as a No FG and is exactly how my coin looks like.

This is not my coin.

This is my coin.

• Options

Very interesting. Maybe i should ask for a grading.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2023 9:03PM

@MASSU2 said:
    I was in the same situation several years ago when I came across a '66 SMS that only had a tiny bit of a partial faint G visible. everyone who chimed in said there had to be no trace of either initial. However, I did find this PCGS graded coin that was attributed as a No FG and is exactly how my coin looks like.

This is not my coin.

This is my coin.

Nice examples.

Did you get yours graded?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2023 9:04PM

@flyguyfl said:
    Very interesting. Maybe i should ask for a grading.

Would be interesting to see how it’s graded.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flyguyfl said:

Probably just grease in the die. Could also be polishing of the die.

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MASSU2 said:

This is not my coin.

This is my coin.

Nice examples.

Did you get yours graded?

Mine was already graded MS66 by NGC, but unattributed. I cracked it out to put in my Dansco homemade variety page in the No FG hole. Maybe I'll send it in some day to get graded.

• Options

Wonder what the value of a non 1972D would be if graded as a No FG. I have two and neither are 1972.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file