Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First time In 24 years on eBay- I mixed up two shipments. What's the best way to resolve it?

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

It finally happened after 24 years. I got the labels on two packages switched and have heard from both recipients that they received the wrong coins. any advice on the best way to handle this? Thanks as always!

--Christian

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others, when the items are relatively inexpensive, even $50 or so, if they are willing to forward them to the corresponding customer. Years ago I made the mistake with a higher value coin, an MS65 Walker, 44-s PCGS, and all my requests to get it back were ignored.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the same thing, about 15 years go. I switched a couple ~$100 coins. To make matters even worse, one of the recipients was a sailor, who was at sea! Anyway, I contacted both folks immediately, once I realized what I have done. Both were very understanding, and I of course repaid them for their shipping costs (I took a chance and had each guy ship the items directly to each other). The world is full of nice people.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

about 15 years ago I received a package from an eBay seller which I had not bought. It was a set of ASEs in a dansco album. I think there were probably about 20 or 25 coins at that time. I contacted the seller, he indicated he would reimburse me for the postage, I sent them back, and never received reimbursement. Cost about $20 or $25 as I recall. At least I could sleep well at night. I doubt he could say the same.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

At least I could sleep well at night. I doubt he could say the same.

You have a conscience. He probably doesn't and sleeps like a baby.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been on the receiving end of the wrong or extra items on a couple occassions. I've sent back as requested. No hard feelings.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like such a thing could easily happen when involved with volume sales requiring shipping. I like @TomB's solution... but seems other methods have also worked. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 6:22AM

It happened to me as a buyer once. Everything resolved. But stressful.

Recently had 2 auc of same item a slabbed bullion coin sell. Made sure correct slab no in right package, double checking doing one at a time. Be very careful.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

What TomB says. The rest is inert ingredients. Welcome to the club.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usps has a package retrieval option where you can have them U-turn packages back to you if they have not been delivered, there is a charge for that. I had it happen to me once when I was at a show in New Hampshire and when I realized my mistake a couple hours later went to the processing facility and they were able to fetch them for me.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things happen. No matter how careful you are, you will make mistakes once in a while. Back in the days before label printers, I somehow put the wrong address on a package. Eventually the PO returned it to me and I corrected the label. The label printer puts the correct address on every time for eBay sales but yes, you can still put the label on the wrong package. I put the last for digits of the item # on the mailer and try to make sure that the correct item # is in the right package. Check then re-check. I print only one label and do only one package at a time.
    One time a seller sent me an extra item that I did not buy and he asked if I would forward it to the actual buyer if he would pay the postage, I said ok and I sent it to the person who should have gotten it in the first place.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask the buyer what they feel would correct the situation, and if it is reasonable, do what they suggest.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file