Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can a book that has come apart be rebound reasonably or too costly?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "the half cent die state book" by ronald p. manley is coming apart, I mean apart. Can these be easily rebound or is that not inexpensive enough to warrant?
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting... My Manley book is coming apart also, and I had the same question. Calling book binders was on my list, but I have not gotten to it.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on price for that. When my VAM book was coming apart I bought a 3 hole paper punch and a 3 ring binder. I also bought thr circular sticky reenforments for the holes. Put the whole book into the binder page by page and its lasted over 25 years now.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Finally found an answer, $250 to $500 to restore the book. I think I might just take it completely apart, page by page, copy it and have it on my computer. Just a thought. Sad as this was a new copy only 2 years old and was terribly bound to begin with. A couple of pages came loose in the first year of owning the book.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 8:17AM

If it's a paperback book and not too thick
    People usually COIL BIND them.
    If really thick then a 3 ring binder.

Edit
    I see it's a hard back book.
    Restored always costs money.
    Look for a place that repairs Bibles.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 8:29AM

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

check out book store or here online (see above) , fwiw

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume you looked for a good used copy on-line from eBay or similar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Mine fell apart a long time ago. My advice, trim the pages down to fit into these and into a 3 ring binder.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think coil binding is the way to go. Many office printing vendors can do it. If the book is thick, do it is half or thirds. IMO. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard of that Grimm Bindery place before. May check them out for a couple of old reference tomes that need a facelift.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the pages out of the binder and put them in sheet protectors with holes for a three ring binder.... will last a lifetime that way. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 9:56AM

I clamp them together and drill three one quarter inch holes as close to the failed binding as practicable and use 1/4" wire ties.

It takes only a couple minutes and costs less than a dime.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

None that I could find.
    Jim

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's s 2 year old book that fell apart then I'm thinking it's a glued binding. The high estimate for "restoration" must surely be for a sewn binding.

I wonder if a suitable glue could be found to replicate the original adhesive.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

None that I could find.
    Jim> @JBK said:

If it's s 2 year old book that fell apart then I'm thinking it's a glued binding. The high estimate for "restoration" must surely be for a sewn binding.

I wonder if a suitable glue could be found to replicate the original adhesive.

It is definitely a glued binding and I'm sure you are right re:pricing, but even $250 would be out of my range. I thought of trying to reglue it myself, but thought I might just destroy it, as I have no knowledge of these procedures.
    Below is a photo of the separation along with about 30 pages that have pulled loose.
    Jim

• Options
    edited May 30, 2023 11:35AM

I have not looked too closely at book binding glue, but it seems to be a bit "rubbery" or soft/flexible. I wonder if a generous slathering of rubber cement (glue) might work. The benefit is that it can usually be removed pretty easily by a little vigorous rubbing, if necessary.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:

I like the sound of that!

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:

Thank you. My issue with using glue(other than being ignorant of the procedure) is the 30 or so loose pages. With the residue left on the remaining pages, it wouldn't let the loose pages reach the new glue unless it dissolves the old. Don't know, so probably won't do it. I've only found one other book and it's used at $149.99 so I might end up with the same issue. Several people with this book have told me theirs did the same thing.
    Jim

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am with the super glue crowd as a first solution. I have always relied on duct tape for books with little value except to me.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 1:41PM

Elmer's Glue-All (PVA) works fairly well for this type of repair.
    My mom was a church librarian and showed me how to do it.
    You would want to use some wax paper between pages 299 and 300 (and maybe others),
    so that if some of the glue leaks out from the back, it won't stick those pages together.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer's_Products

In bookbinding and book arts, due to its flexible strong bond and non-acidic nature (unlike many other polymers). The use of PVAc on the Archimedes Palimpsest during the 20th century greatly hindered the task of disbinding the book and preserving and imaging the pages in the early 21st century, in part because the glue was stronger than the parchment it held together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of information that is available on this forum. It is truly amazing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file