Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got a silver medal but I had to steel it

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

United States Steel Corporation Medal - 30 Years Service
Size: 32 mm, 21.65 gm, Sterling silver
Obverse: United States Steel Corporation E. H. Gary Chairman
Reverse: 30 Years Service Sterling Pablo Torres

Actually it was found in a bunch of coins, tokens, and medals that someone gave me.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Free silver is always nice When it comes as a medal with some history to it, even better. Thanks for sharing I’ve started over the last few years to collect medals I like. Just another area of collecting that adds to the fun

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal.... Probably cannot trace the individual it was given to originally.... Those medals often end up in family estate sales or grandpa's trunk in the attic, then given away or sold. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The U.S. Steel service medals were designed by noted sculptor Julio Kilenyi who did a lot of work for Whitehead-Hoag and other Eastern die sinkers. There are die varieties both with and without his signature on the reverse. The medal is issued for various lengths of service in 5 or 10 year increments - 40 years is the most I've seen in silver.

The note that came with the medal below states "U.S. Steel says only 3 ever given out in whole history of company". I have so far not been able to verify that number and doubt that it can be verified. I misplaced this piece a while back and just turned over the right stack of holders to find it again. 14k, 25g.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file