Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anybody spot the problem with this beautiful 1837 Large Cent ?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2023 4:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

i saw this very pretty large cent coming up for auction and could not find any sign of the "Altered Surface" that PCGS designated. Interesting that PCGS did not assign a "Questionable Color" or "Cleaned" designation.. I could not spot any problem from the TrueView photos. Can any experts out there spot anything? I am scratching my head.

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it my have been chemically treated with something. Color looks off to me.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's possible there was an alteration done to make the coin appear more red. That's what I think the most likely explanation is based on the photos.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the PCGS website, the “Altered Surfaces” designation (with the complete definition/explanation linked below) involves “Adding anything to the surface of the coin to either ‘improve’ its appearance or to cover marks.”

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#grade94

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 4:00PM

Whizzed obverse is my guess, based on the “luster” and color.
    Very dangerous as a raw coin, as the eye appeal seems nice at first glance.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse field looks suspiciously different than the reverse field.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

No cac either 😖

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 4:08PM

@Aotearoa said:
    The obverse field looks suspiciously different than the reverse field.

This. Look at the texture of the obverse fields compared to the reverse. There appear faint little lines in the same direction. I think it has been whizzed and retoned as suggested earlier. The slab shot accentuates the artificial look.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    No cac either 😖

I hope not, since they don’t sticker details-grade coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I envision a knucklehead cracking the coin out and selling it raw.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@johnny9434 said:
    No cac either 😖

I hope not, since they don’t sticker details-grade coins.

Curiously- Have you heard whether CACG will use details grading or if it will body bag coins like in the good old days?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see the difference between the fields and the cheeks. Still a pretty coin.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny that everyone else doesn’t like the obverse side, whereas I think the reverse side was messed with. Polish, lacquer, stained. Something happened to that coin and it will not straight grade ever.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

great comments. i learned a few things.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I would have quickly seen the issue in-hand, but from the first photo, "cleaned/whizzed" jumped right out at me.
    Something appears definitely done to the surface to make it smoother/sleeker than it should be.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 5:14PM

I know the trained eye wouldn’t touch this coin but I think it has great eye appeal and in a price range I could afford if I collected this issue

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I know the trained eye wouldn’t touch this coin but I think it has great eye appeal and in a price range I could afford if I collected this issue

As long as you know what you’re buying and pay a price in line with the details designation, I think it’s perfectly fine to buy and enjoy this coin. The problem comes in when coins like this are misrepresented or sneak past the TPG.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Doesn't look whizzed to me. If you look at the other 1837 N-13s on CoinFacts you'll see similar die abrasion on the obverse. According to Wright, this is the later use of the obverse and earlier use of the reverse dies which would account for the difference in appearance.

Guessing from the images, I'd go with some type of dipping or chemical alteration. Doesn't have an original look, especially on the obverse.

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1837-1c-n-13-medium-letters-bn/37165

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

It definitely looks recolored to me, maybe to cover up a harsh cleaning or even a quickie-whiz.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the lines that appear to some as whizzing lines, running thru the star in the photo. I also don't see the usual halo affect of doing that. My guess is some sort of chemical application happened.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 7:35PM

There's definitely something going on with the obverse color... it's not a natural color for this issue. The reverse actually looks ok to me. I wonder if someone used some sort of chemical treatment to enhance a mint red and then tried to mute the color... too bad. Beautiful coin otherwise.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lines on the obverse that some attribute to whizzing appear to be normal metal flow from striking. I believe the coin has been chemically doctored. They did a good job, but the color and texture on the reverse are more bothersome to me. I have to wonder if the appearance was really improved.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me, that something was done to minimize those hits on the cheek.... Chemical treatment perhaps... They seem to be 'smoothed' with no upraised edges one would expect.. and looking at the incursion to the hair curl, it seems to still have the disturbed edge, but due to the position, not as obvious as it would be on the cheek. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file