Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS walk through grading

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife has a pricey Morgan that she wants to submit to PCGS walk through grading at the ANA show in Pittsburgh. How many days does it take for the grading to be completed after submittal and is ready for pick up? We haven’t done this before and would like some details on the mechanism for this.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show grading is usually done by the end of the show if submitted by Thursday. Do you have a picture of the coin?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

At Winter FUN, I submitted in the early morning of Thursday and picked up the coin on Friday afternoon. You want to drop off your coin(s) right when they open on the first day so you can get them in the afternoon of the second day. At least that's been my experience.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    Show grading is usually done by the end of the show if submitted by Thursday. Do you have a picture of the coin?

I don’t have a photo, but it is 1889-CC in an old ANACS holder. Currently graded MS63 DMPL by ANACS. She wants to do a cross over.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, there is a special group of "show services".

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

Additionally, there is a special submission form for shows.

• Options

If it's the only coin you're going to submit for the year, go through a dealer so that you don't need to buy a membership just for that coin.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs price guide is $90,000 if it crosses at grade. Best of luck on how you decide what your minimum cross will be. It should be done by the next day, but it’s been known to take up to 3 days to completely finalize.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    If it's the only coin you're going to submit for the year, go through a dealer so that you don't need to buy a membership just for that coin.

We both have memberships…

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

@messydesk said:

I don’t have a photo, but it is 1889-CC in an old ANACS holder. Currently graded MS63 DMPL by ANACS. She wants to do a cross over.

In my experience, a lot of those aren't dmpl today. Just for what it's worth. Good luck though.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the old ANACS holder didn't tone the fields. Good luck and obviously nice coin whatever the result.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd make the coin crossing over contingent on cracking it out. Otherwise it might sell for more in the Anacs holder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your submission.... It may lose the DMPL, so be sure your instructions are clear if that is important. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤞🏼

Good luck brother.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture?

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Herb, you have been around so you know the risks. I would bring it in and request cross only at same grade. If it doesn't cross you'd be better off selling it in the current holder. The risk of loosing the DMPL to maybe only a PL would be very costly
    Best of luck

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 5:01PM

Risky move if we are not sure. Standards change over years. To have this coin in PG slab with same grading attribution and a CAC is a winner. But if come back out of this will be a deception ( personal deception on wrong move). I have a old coin which has one side DCAM and the other Proof+ (almost CAM) I know this. I re send to re-grading to all TPG's and come one hint up but Proof.

Conclusion: The old standards in grading evolved to more precise standards to day. So those type of coins IMHO has more turn-out and more graders will be involved. You can call and ask about the coin, but for me was normal you do not have at the end of the show. They are coins and coins. I hope for you an 64 DMPL and damage probably you lost a valuable rare ANACS slab.(For me it is OK because I collect those very rare, rare and scarce slabs, and more broke more $ in my pocket perhaps in my life).

Good Luck.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

What has been said about ANACS (even little holder) DMPLs and modern viewpoints is something I have found to be true with PCGS.
    Definitely do a crossover, like you mention, and not a crackout, as it is very likely to NOT be considered DMPL.

Good luck to your wife though, and I hope it does cross for her

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Without having seen this coin... My gut says this: After all these years, why is a $90k coin still in an ANACS holder? Got to be a reason and I suspect it isnt in your favor.

• Options

@jerseyben said:
    Without having seen this coin... My gut says this: After all these years, why is a $90k coin still in an ANACS holder? Got to be a reason and I suspect it isnt in your favor.

She has had the coin in its ANACS holder for more than 20 years…only in recent time she has been putting a Registry set together, hence why she is looking for the crossover. She is very astute and won’t take it on the nose.

• Options

Just a pcgs price guide comparison:

62: $43,500
    62pl: $47,500
    62dmpl: $48,500
    63: $52,500
    63pl: $57,500
    63dmpl: $90,000
    64: $125,000
    64pl: $125,000
    64dmpl: $255,000

This is such a tough call on how she decides what to put for the minimum grade on the form. Huge price drop if the coin loses the dmpl status. Can you please let us know what grade and designation she ultimately puts for that?

• Options

@1madman said:
    Just a pcgs price guide comparison:

62: $43,500
    62pl: $47,500
    62dmpl: $48,500
    63: $52,500
    63pl: $57,500
    63dmpl: $90,000
    64: $125,000
    64pl: $125,000
    64dmpl: $255,000

This is such a tough call on how she decides what to put for the minimum grade on the form. Huge price drop if the coin loses the dmpl status. Can you please let us know what grade and designation she ultimately puts for that?

I will let you know….planning on the ANA show in Pittsburgh.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question kinda related. For a " reholder " does that come with Trueview ?

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 8:06PM

Many people will be interest to know how the final result come out. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it will cross.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Tom147 said:

Depends on the value of the coin.

Up to, and including, $2,500. Reholder costs $14. This does NOT include a TV, but you can add it for $5 per coin.

Greater than $2,500, but less than $100,000.01. Reholder costs $25. This price includes Gold Shield. Provided that "Service Group" = "Gold Shield" on the submission form, you will get the TV at no additional cost as part of GS.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

Don’t forget there is a fee on the new value, think 2%

• Options
    edited May 31, 2023 9:39PM

@Fishpro said:
    Don’t forget there is a fee on the new value, think 2%

Currently, the "guarantee premium" is 1%, and only applies if the coin crosses at the customer specification.

Reference: https://www.pcgs.com/crossover

Edited to add "currently".

• Options

Also, there is only an authenticity guarantee on the old Anacs holders, not a grade guarantee so Anacs would not reholder it in their current gold holder, but they put those in their "blue" label holders. Hopefully you can get the coin into current plastic.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I bet it will cross.

I wish I felt differently, but I bet it won't. I believe the odds of PCGS agreeing with both the grade and the DMPL designation are very slim.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@AUandAG said:
    I bet it will cross.

I wish I felt differently, but I bet it won't. I believe the odds of PCGS agreeing with both the grade and the DMPL designation are very slim.

I think it's difficult to tell without having the coin in hand, but it's impossible to know without at least images of the coin. For all we know, it certainly could, or could not, cross at the current grade.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@MFeld said:

@AUandAG said:
    I bet it will cross.

I think it's difficult to tell without having the coin in hand, but it's impossible to know without at least images of the coin. For all we know, it certainly could, or could not, cross at the current grade.

Agreed - I'm just going by overall percentages, which are likely quite low.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Here are some of the images on PCGS' site to compare to:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1889-cc-1-dmpl/images/97191

If it is submitted at the ANA, I'd go by the Heritage Auctions table to get some opinions before submission.

• Options

@logger7 said:

If it is submitted at the ANA, I'd go by the Heritage Auctions table to get some opinions before submission.

That is who she bought it from years ago…

• Options

https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/1889-cc-1-ms63-deep-mirror-prooflike-anacs-pcgs-97191-/a/23061-13818.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

If the fields are as deep as they look (if this is the correct coin), you’ve got a good chance this coin goes ms64 dmpl.

• Options
    edited June 1, 2023 7:39PM

@Herb_T said:

@logger7 said:

Here’s one from 2003, which appears to be the coin being discussed:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/1889-cc-1-ms63-deep-mirror-prooflike-anacs-pcgs-97191-/a/23061-13818.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I'd make the coin crossing over contingent on cracking it out. Otherwise it might sell for more in the Anacs holder.

Do you mean contingent on NOT cracking it out?

Of course if they crack it out and find hidden damage then you're SOL. I'd also make sure that there are no cloudy spots on the holder that would impede the view.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Herb_T said:

@logger7 said:

Hard to go off that image but I sure seen worse in holders than that one.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Interesting fact about unc 89cc’s is that a significant porportion are Dmpl. You don’t see this high proportion of Dmpls in other dates.
    Submit show express and indicate 63dmpl and they will not crack out unless both grade (minimum 63) and designation are met. At least this is how I remember it working, but I haven’t submitted for crossover in some time. So pcgs will holder if it grades 63 Dmpl or 64dmpl; but not 64pl (you get your coin back in the anacs holder).
    I’ve had good luck in the past crossing anacs Dmpls, as long as there’s not a lot of toning. I’ve cracked out and dipped some of these with uglier toning and was successful getting a straight Dmpl grades at pcgs. I’ve had terrible luck crossing the old ANA Dmpls, alot of altered surfaces..
    Good luck and enjoy the show!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previously sold on June 4, 2003. I guess you and your wife are working hard to cross it over before the twentieth anniversary of purchase! ;)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@blu62vette said:

@MFeld said:

@Herb_T said:

@logger7 said:

Hard to go off that image but I sure seen worse in holders than that one.

Those look like scanner images, and not particularly high resolution at that. You'd have to scrutinize every part of that coin to come to a decision on that and the plastic is nowhere near as advanced at current PCGS holders. It comes down to top numismatists such as Mark Feld and Jim Stoutjesdyk if you can get them to check it out. There is just too much riding on that crossover to submit it blind.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Todd is also someone who would give great advice.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Tom147 said:

Depends on the value of the coin.

Up to, and including, $2,500. Reholder costs $14. This does NOT include a TV, but you can add it for $5 per coin.

Greater than $2,500, but less than $100,000.01. Reholder costs $25. This price includes Gold Shield. Provided that "Service Group" = "Gold Shield" on the submission form, you will get the TV at no additional cost as part of GS.

Thank you sir. Just looking for the best way to get my top 3 set all Trueviewed.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Herb_T said:

@logger7 said:

Looks like a nice coin. From the picture I don't see a reason why it wouldn't cross at 63DMPL, but crossovers are neither granted from pictures nor by me.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn’t rocket science. Submit as a crossover same grade or higher and with DMPL designation. If it crosses great and if it doesn’t time to re-access things.

• Options

@TomB said:
    Previously sold on June 4, 2003. I guess you and your wife are working hard to cross it over before the twentieth anniversary of purchase! ;)

Why does 20th anniversary matter?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Herb_T said:

@logger7 said:

Yup, she said that’s hers.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

@TomB said:

Why does 20th anniversary matter?

It doesn't (at least to me). I had simply noticed it sold at HA on 6/4/03 and you were asking about crossing it essentially twenty-years later.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file