talk about a coin that’s been hammered, what do you think of this buffalo

mikee999mikee999 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the front look like?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

30's? - Lots of nice strikes during that time period.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the year and mint to decide if its hammered or not. If a late 30's then probably average. If a 20's then hammered for sure.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

• Options

Looks like a nice strike for a mid 20's Buffalo.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice details - the usual flat spot areas. Grade?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a nice strike for the date, but I wouldn’t call that coin hammered

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be nice but your pictures are lacking.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 26. Looks to be a 65. Definitely not hammered but a good strike for the date.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a nice coin for the mid 20's.... We frequently see high grade Buffs for the mid to later 30's. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 5:16AM

.Sorry I disagree there is weakness by the Indians Braid so the strike is okay, far from hammered. Was your coin bought in a GC auction, as I remember seeing a 1926 Buffalo that looks similar. MS 65?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had many nicely struck 26's, but never a hammered. Here's an AU example nicely struck for mid 20's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice looking, bright coin for a mid-20's Buffalo, but it isn't "hammered".

It's quite weak in the central areas on both sides, with the knot and braid on the obverse, and the hair on Black Diamonds shoulder quite weak looking..

Kinda odd for a Philadelphia coin. Usually Denver and San Francisco coins show that weakness.

It's still a nice looking Buff regardless.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and THIS Folks, is why I've had a more difficult time learning to properly grade Buffalo Nickels!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    ...and THIS Folks, is why I've had a more difficult time learning to properly grade Buffalo Nickels!

Buffs are the toughest.

• Options

this coin was acquired prior to GC’’s existence

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

Luster is incredible though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file