Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What is the largest diameter numismatic object in your collection?

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just ran across this medal I bought some time ago. Provenance is The Strong museum in Rochester, NY and I'm pretty sure it had been sitting in their tray at least 100 years, probably more like 150 (getting sneezed upon, from the looks of it). At 112.7mm in diameter, it is purported to be the largest struck numismatic object ever made. Anyone know if that's true?

I want to take advantage of the PCGS quarterly special (half off oversize holders) and get it graded, just for protection. Before I call PCGS, does anyone know if they will slab a medal of this size? I've looked here and it wasn't much help (poorly written). Maybe the "Classic Jumbo" holder?

I know for certain that NGC will slab it, but I just sent my order off to NGC and it is too late for this one.

What's the largest coin/medal/numismatic object in your collection?

Comments

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭

Pistrucci's Waterloo Medal was 130 mm, but I think they were electrotypes and not struck. I think the new reproductions were actually struck in the original size.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bosox said:
    Pistrucci's Waterloo Medal was 130 mm, but I think they were electrotypes and not struck. I think the new reproductions were actually struck in the original size.

Yes, they were electrotypes.

I’ve seen the Royal Mint repro, but it’s about half-size. Who does the larger repros?

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭

1601 Daalder probably

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an interesting big medal , private issue, a few made by Raymond Joly , engraver at Monnaie de Paris, when his boss retired:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 8:37AM

Here’s the largest I own - it’s housed in a large format PCGS holder. I took the photo on my copy stand - each white line in the background is one inch, so that will give you a sense of size. As you can probably tell, the holder is about 3in wide and would likely house a coin up to about 2.5in - it wouldn't hold a 115mm (~4.5in) coin! But maybe PCGS offers larger, I'm not sure.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

87mm on this 1666 4 taler struck to commemorate the 88th birthday of Augustus II, Duke of Brunswick. Issues struck from 1.5T up to 6T to commemorate the milestone.

@cacheman said:

Wilhelmina, by the grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, 1898, 435mm, 5500g.

OMG! That’s insane! Is it struck?

• IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@cacheman said:

Wilhelmina, by the grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, 1898, 435mm, 5500g.

Great piece of art!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IVB said:

@cacheman said:

Great piece of art!

Sure looks to be !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

No, this is cast. It came out of the Begeer warehouse in Utrecht sometime between the depression and German occupation of WWII. Begeer couldn't pay their workers so they allowed them to pick and choose from models and casts for their compensation. I bought this from a collector in Amsterdam who bought from the family of the original Begeer employee.
    Why would I buy it? It was created by Goetz (stylistic attribution) and he was there working at the exact time. Not his design as noted by TW sig but his work from original drawings. It was just a fluke that I found it but I immediately recognized the horse and female from other medallions made shortly after his one year stint in Utrecht.

Lucky you don’t need to slab those babies!

BTW, I’ve confirmed PCGS can holder up to 120mm.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭

@cacheman said:
    Here's another one. Being an archaeologist (Ret), I have great interest in Goetz' process pieces.

I'm guessing she wears the pants in that family

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I wouldn't want to arm wrestle her. :D

Great medals! I also have that pair. They highlight the engraving skill of Charles Cushing Wright.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭

I had one of those Zachary Taylor medals once - it was awesome up close - but was so unwieldy that I couldn't figure out how to store it safely so I sold it

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2023 6:04PM

not struck, but I wonder if PC GS or NGC would slab it? It's about 4 feet across. it's not in my collection, however.

As a follow up to the OP, PCGS has slabbed my 112.7mm medal.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cacheman

The woman you would rather not arm wrestle has a striking resemblance to Marjorie Main- So it is safe to assume you would rather not arm wrestle Ma Kettle... smart decision.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited October 5, 2023 4:05PM

Sadly I did not answer the question... I have not measured the medals I have but some are over 100mm- I am leaving the TR plaque out

@TomB

Excellent TR item- I have seen something similar in the form of a lapel for those that donated to the memorial

I have seen afew of these large WW I memorial issues for fallen soldiers- thanks for sharing

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diameter (mm) 100, Thickness (mm) 13.9, weight one Kilo.

• robp2robp2 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

This is a plaster cast that the engraver produces the design on prior from whence it is reduced to make the die. A pattern for a £1 coin. Diameter 174mm.

@robp2 said:
    This is a plaster cast that the engraver produces the design on prior from whence it is reduced to make the die. A pattern for a £1 coin. Diameter 174mm.

I love it! Fantastic!

How did it ever leave the mint? Unofficial?

• robp2robp2 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@robp2 said:

I love it! Fantastic!

How did it ever leave the mint? Unofficial?

Probably found in the studio after the engraver died. Virtually all the engravers employed by the mint were/are established in their own right before being commissioned, so will have studios and will work from home, with the mint work being only part of the portfolio.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best I can do is this Lincoln medal by George Morgan, at a measly 62 mm.