Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Coins Weight

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2023 7:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been searching many different coins. Some don't look or sound right. Counterfeit, cast, missing clad layer, coins have been on the rise. What % of any coins weight would be considered out of tolerance?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I've been searching many different coins. Some don't look or sound right. Counterfeit, cast, missing clad layer, coins have on the rise. What % of any coins weight would be considered out of tolerance?

It varies. There are tolerances for each denomination and then you have to adjust for wear. I don't have the link handy or I'd post it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems as if you are looking for criteria to judge authenticity of coins.... Weight is just one parameter. There are mint specifications which are generally applicable to new or 'like new' coins. When it comes to wear, it is a judgement call.... how much wear is a visual criteria and quite subjective. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

Tolerances depend on the coin. Here are some of the more common coin tolerances
    1cent +- .12g
    5 cent +- .19g
    10 cent +- .09g
    25 cent +- .19g
    50 cent +- .26g
    Silver Dollar +- .39g
    Clad Dollar +- .52g
    Most gold coins have a tolerance of +- .02g

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tolerances on precious metal coins are always stricter than on base metal coins

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@robec- Man, I've been looking high and low for a chart like that for over a week now. 👍🏻 👍🏻

Thanks guys!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@ Robec. I want to put this chart, you was faster. This chart is according with the Mint tolerances for the coins. I hope I will find the second chart about Medals.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me the deviation of a weight in a coin is really dependent on its age and differently the condition of the coin. A war nickel is usually really grimy, almost like a parking lot find. Are you going to clean it to get the extra coat off before you consider it's real weight?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thank you gents!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file