Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unique Peace Dollar Splasher Certified by PCGS and Cataloged in Judd!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2023 11:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This unique Peace Dollar splasher (uniface die trial) was just certified by PCGS as Judd A1921-1. It's the only known Peace Dollar die trial, but interestingly it's noted in U.S. Mint correspondence researched by Roger and confirmed by @MrEureka!

Along with the unique 1921 Peace Dollar plaster and Dan's Broken Sword reverse bronze cast, these are really wonderful pieces of numismatic history that bring to life the story of the creation of the Peace Dollar detailed in Roger's book "A Guide Book of Peace Dollars".

This splasher (or one made at the same time) is possibly what's referred to in a December 23, 1921 letter from Raymond Thomas Baker, Director of the Mint to Secretary Andrew William Mellon for approval of the design, Baker wrote:

Raymond Thomas Baker, Director of the Mint wrote:
I have the honor to submit models [samples] of the proposed designs for the Standard Silver Dollar. [...]

The model as now submitted as the approval of the Fine Arts Commission, and is in compliance with the requirements of the law.

Respectfully,
R.T. Baker, Director of the Mint

These models were likely lead splashers per Roger in his book, "A Guide Book of Peace Dollars".

RWB said:
The samples were likely lead "splashers" or small plaster casts, there being no time to harden the hubs and make dies. Undersecretary Gilbert approved [...] and the mint continued preparing master and working dies. Baker wired his approval on December 24.

@MrEureka was also able to examine the piece and concluded it was a U.S. Mint product due to some specific physical characteristics of the piece.

@MrEureka said:
I have performed an in-person evaluation of the unique 1921 Peace Dollar Splasher (cataloged as Judd A1921-1), and am of the opinion that the splasher is a genuine U.S. Mint product.

Indicators that it is genuine include:

1. Highly concave fields, unlike a normal 1921 Peace Dollar, and more comparable to a 1922 Proof High Relief. As such, the piece could not have been created from copy dies, or from a casting mold, and I am convinced that it is a direct impression from an original die.
  2. The rim is squared, unlike a normal 1921 Peace Dollar. Again, this leads me to believe that the coin is a direct impression from an original die, not a copy derived from some means from another coin.

Read much more about this and the plaster in the Mint Error News Special Edition article:

https://minterrornews.com/issue2023special-vol-2.pdf

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins ... Thank you for the information.... Quite interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the prettiest 1921 Dollar that I've seen but it's status and story is impressive.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing how new stuff gets found after 100 years +++

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a better picture of it:

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool read

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 10:31AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Here's a better picture of it:

Pete

That’s actually a different piece, a plaster at almost 9 inch diameter! Too big to slab!

The PCGS slabbed die trial is 44mm in diameter.

The two pieces are in the same article as they were discovered together and go well with the Peace Dollar story.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great numismatic items and equally great article!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I should have looked a little closer. I can see it's different.

I tried to help.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 9:45AM

John already posted the link to volume #2 of Mint Error News featuring the Peace Dollar Splasher. It is 832 (eight hundred and thirty two) pages so please give it few seconds to load. Thanks!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@MFeld said:

Thanks Mark! It's been a lot of fun and a great experience writing these articles. The first 3 articles in Volume 2 are written by me so please take a look!

A big thanks to Mike @Byers on working with me to get these articles out. It's great to have a venue for articles like these!

• Options

@Byers said:
    John already posted the link to volume #2 of Mint Error News featuring the Peace Dollar Splasher. It is 832 (eight hundred and thirty two) pages so please give it few seconds to load. Thanks!

It's amazing that Volume 2 is 832 pages and Volume 1 is 597 pages for a total of 1429 pages! Lots of great articles in both volumes and well worth sitting down for a good read!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

Thanks Mark! It's been a lot of fun and a great experience writing these articles. The first 3 articles in Volume 2 are written by me so please take a look!

A big thanks to Mike @Byers on working with me to get these articles out. It's great to have a venue for articles like these!

I will definitely take a look - thanks.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unique indeed.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

John- thanks for your articles and contributions to Mint Error News.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file