Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is there such a thing as an official Charles III sovereign?

Games .... that's all you see with these coins.

I would like a "normal" Charles III gold sovereign for my collection. Yet all I see is crap from commonwealth countries that have tiny mintages that sell out in two hours. Does any one want a one-eighth sovereign coin? I don't. The thing would be size of a pea.

So what the the chances of the British settling down and producing a "real coin" in some quantity that is not intended to get the foolish who think that these tiny mintages are anything to get excited about? Is there much chance that there will be something at the Summer FUN show?

The British issued so many Elizabeth II coins that became a drug on the market while she was alive. I guess that's why they are playing games now, but it sure is frustrating.

End of rant. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Games .... that's all you see with these coins.

I would like a "normal" Charles III gold sovereign for my collection. Yet all I see is crap from commonwealth countries that have tiny mintages that sell out in two hours. Does any one want a one-eighth sovereign coin? I don't. The thing would be size of a pea.

So what the the chances of the British settling down and producing a "real coin" in some quantity that is not intended to get the foolish who think that these tiny mintages are anything to get excited about? Is there much chance that there will be something at the Summer FUN show?

The British issued so many Elizabeth II coins that became a drug on the market while she was alive. I guess that's why they are playing games now, but it sure is frustrating.

End of rant. :/

Patience - The Sovereign Coming Soon
    We are excited to be releasing a new Coronation Sovereign 2023 Collection in both Proof and Bullion Editons to celebrate this landmark event.

• Options
    coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

Is it me, or is the style of the numerals used for the year different than in previous years?

Let's Go Mets!
  • Options

Compare to last year’s

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely reverse for the Sovereign. I didn’t know they had changed it. Nice change from the tired St. George reverse.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Lovely reverse for the Sovereign. I didn’t know they had changed it. Nice change from the tired St. George reverse.

Just for the year, that is QEII’s 2022 reverse. The KCIII 2022 reverse is below

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2023 4:32PM

A forum member informed me that a Proof sovereign will be made available next Monday. Once again it seems that mintage will minuscule and that the coins will be sold out in a few minutes.

I guess the thing to do is to forget about it for a few years and buy a piece from a dealer after the dust settles. If I never get a Proof so be it. I paid a strong 5 figure number for a 1937 gold Proof set, but dedicated collectors like me are of little interest to the people who run the mint. If the Royal Mint wants to sell bullion coins, they wouldn’t be able to plays games like this.

So far as the Royal Mint is concerned, your distribution system is a total turnoff. The way to do it is a mintage limit of 30 to 50 thousand, with the price set at double melt, not 18 hundred pieces, and they are all gone. Woopie! Turn-off!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

@BillJones I am just a casual collector of RM coins and have had no problem getting the modern sovs. The Jubilee set was available for a couple days, the memorial set was available for months (still available from dealers at issue price) , and I suspect the coronation sovs will be around for at least a few days. They also have a subscription option like the US Mint to get one each year automatically if you don’t like hassling the early morning queue.

On other releases (like the coronation coins or Great engravers) you are quite correct, small mintage compared to US and usually 1 or 2 hour sell outs. I’m a big fan of all the heraldry designs and history that comes with UK coins, both old and new.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go on the Royal mint site, and I get this message about how I have accept some cookies or all cookies. They explain that they reserve the right to sell my information to others.

I guess the time has come to wait a year and buy the coin from a dealer at a show.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I believe both Chards coins and Britannia Coin are taking reservations now for the Monday release - same price as mint. Not sure about the cookie BS.