Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very attractive 1960 Pony Express Centennial Mumey Dollar - HK-584

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2023 9:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I thought this was a very attractive HK-584 and was looking forward to this HK-584 all week but came up short as the underbidder tonight. Congrats to the owner!

PCGS called this one plated. Has any other one like this been seen?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on the plating or availability.... However, that is one I would definitely try to procure if I saw it at a show, or the BST. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps that is actually a legit original variety. Is anything known about its minting/sales/distribution history?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool medal! Was it struck by the Denver mint?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NumisOxide said:
    Very cool medal! Was it struck by the Denver mint?

I don't believe so.
    The little bit of research I did pointed to “Wendell Northwestern” in Minneapolis as the manufacturer. But I have not confirmed that.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a long chance that it might have been mentioned in the Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine in 1960, if you can find a dead tree set to research. Likewise Coin WOrld and/or Numismatic News.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Here is an old thread that mentions Dr. Mumey in an unrelated matter.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1001864/colorado-territorial-vintage-dies/p1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file