Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Temu

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

By now, many of you have met the new mail order site, Temu. I have shopped there for some items and some are very good at great prices, but much is, in my humble opinion, pure garbage. Several purchases have either been recycled or donated. Buyer beware.

What really bothers me is the vast quantity of "coins"; gold and silver, silver dollars, silver and gold bars, fake slabs, and other collectibles available. Now, I know better but what bugs me a lot is that for "newbies" and especially young collectors, this company is a nuclear waste dump of "fake coins". So much coin JUNK. I hate the thought of a young kid getting excited about the hobby and winding up spending money on garbage. Nothing to be done I guess...but it's hard to explain caveat emptor to a 7-year-old! I do not always see "copy" or other term used with this stuff.

I was going to order some cardboard 2 X 2 coin holders but I decided that in no way can I support this sort of business ethic. I may pay more for them, but I'd rather deal with an ethical company.

On the slightly positive side, I have ordered some really handy household items and great prices. Things to use for repair (the double-sided tape works well for me with other successful purchases). Also, some cleaning gadgets have come in handy and I must admit that I have been very pleased with 2 different styles and the prices of mens' underwear. 😳 A good number of my less wisely chosen purchases have been recycled or donated, however.

I will be back to Temu...but the coin stuff really pi--es me off! Oh, once you are on the mailing list, you will never ever even come close to having an empty email box! 🤣

Piano1

Comments

• Options
    ChoppyChoppy Posts: 19

My sister told me about Temu and about the great deals there but, like you, I kinda tripped over the vast number of counterfeit coins that I saw. Some of the knock-off ASEs say "Bollos" instead of dollars, but others don't, and many appear to be decent replicas. I don't know how they look in hand.

I worry about some folks buying lots of these and selling them as genuine at flea markets, church bazaars, etc.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing this I was thinking about the ownership
    A GOOGLE search on ownership ( if one believes all Google search reults) reads ...

"Tech giant PDD Holdings, parent of Pinduoduo and Temu, moves headquarters from China to Ireland"

• Options

Good point, Choppy.

You can be sure that the garbage coins will be showing up where trusting, though naive buyers will be looking them over for consideration. It's a real shame, and I feel especially for the kids. I stopped buying coins for my U.S. type set several years ago for 2 reasons; what I needed was above my budget, and the number of fake slabs out there. ( I bought an 1805 dime from a really reputable dealer who made it right when it came back from PCGS as a fake. And then, I could go into (again) my F-12 1795 dollar (SEGS) that came back as a fake when I sent it to PCGS a good number of years ago when SEGS was new.

I am a lifetime collector but I have pretty much stopped collecting better U.S. type (I'm also 72 and no family member is interested in coins). I don't want to leave what would be a problem to my heirs, and, even with the many reputable dealers out there, I don't want to have to take a buying risk anymore. I can't blame any "particularly nationality or nationalities" for diminishing my interest but a few bad people have spoiled things for many collectors I'm sure. Add me to that list.

So I will enjoy what I have and eBay has been very helpful to me as I sell things I don't need for my collection anymore. I hope to "finish the job" as I continue to "ripen". (My wife says I'm "festering"). 😂

Piano1

• Options

retirednow...

My wife and I are discussing a trip at some point to Ireland. Remind me not to buy any TEMU certified coins there. Now a pint or 2 sounds a lot better though I'm usually under the table after 1/2 beer!🤪

Piano1

• Options
    ChoppyChoppy Posts: 19

Take a look at this. It's dated 2021, says "ONE DOLLAR" and "1 OZ. FINE SILVER"... but it's not. I don't think that any of us would fall for this, but it appears realistic enough to fool the naive.

https://www.temu.com/us-1-oz-2021-american-eagle-silver-uncirculated-reproducible-silver-plated-coin-g-601099514024750.html

By the way, be sure to pick up some knock-off PCGS slabs on your way out of the store. :wink:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get emails from Temu .... I purchased something there a while back (not coin related), but do not recall exactly what it was. Have not visited their site since then... Will have to check it out. Certainly based on the above reports, I will exercise extreme caution - I would anyway, but thanks for the alerts. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hi, ricko.

With your knowledge and experience clearly demonstrated here on the board, I don't think you would be duped into buying any fake coin crap from Temu. Always a good idea to keep your eyes open for sure but my thinking is that you're safe from the junk coin stuff offered on Temu. Very sad for new collectors and especially kids, though!!!

Piano1

• Options

Hi, Choppy.

Yup, I'll be sure to pick up some great fake slabs from Temu next time I buy from them. I get at least 3 emails a day with great specials, promotions, coupons, spin-the-wheel contests, and so on so they can get me to register my cell phone with Temu. (I'm proud to say that I "essentially "do NOT have, want or need a cell phone. I have a very old one in my car (somewhere) that came over with Columbus on the Mayflower for emergencies only but I NEVER have it on. I do get the $15 a month bill, though. Hell...I don't even know if the darn thing works! Anyway, while I'm shopping, can I pick any slabs or other coin crap up for you?? I"ll give you "such a deal". 🤣😂😁 Thanks for the post!! Excellent attachment in that one.

Piano1

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been seeing a lot of their ads on YouTube. When did Wish change their name to Temu?

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The name said enough for me.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cranium_Basher73 said:
    When did Wish change their name to Temu?

Wish and Temu are two different companies although they are both similar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piano1 said:
    Hi, Choppy.
    ....I get at least 3 emails a day with great specials, promotions, coupons, spin-the-wheel contests, and so on so they can get me to register my cell phone with Temu..."

Even if HQ is in Ireland, I believe most likely they are still owned by the Chinese Government.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

They make me spin a spinner that always lands on “FREE” or “$150”

Instant red flag.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

Now here's a Temu rare collector's item that every collector should have:

• Options

Ownerofawheatiehoard.

Yup. I am always getting the spinner and like you, it always passes $150 slightly and then slides back. Temu is quite the company, but it's the coins (so called) that really irritate me; especially the ones that resemble actual coins and have no clear notification of it being a copy. Have you seen the description they sometimes use "...rings like a real silver dollar"? Quite creative, don't ya' think? Grrrrrrrr! Well...at least they DON'T say that they TASTE or SMELL like a real silver dollar. Ya gotta' give 'em credit for that! Piano1

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@Piano1 said:

"Material: Metal"

• Options

Follow up.

Hi guys. I tried to post ba picture of another Temu "coin item" but the photo didn't transfer. Sorry about that.

Piano1

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Temu is a Chinese-owned and Communist Party-controlled company, linked to Pinduoduo, a Chinese government-approved social media platform. The entire point of the existence of Temu is to provide a platform for Chinese manufacturers to ship direct to Western customers without any troublesome Western middlemen. Everything offered for sale on Temu is Made in China... including the coins.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2023 6:20PM

@Piano1 said:

No, you mean that’s not authentic, I just thought it was a good looking pattern!😂

Haha, I didn’t see at first they said it was a ‘pattern,’ until I went back.😳
    Too good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file