Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins with details, how to avoid them?

ELuisELuis Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is somehow a follow up from a previous post about a coin with a nick rim issue and maybe on some other posts where I simple was asking if a coin(s) if go for grading end up getting a numerical grade. And help to avoid spending as much as possible on coins that one wants to keep for the collection or send also to be graded.

Here they are two samples, is this enviromental damage, can you tell by these images?
This area:

Or this one, that appears to have some porosity maybe related to minor sea salt water:

On this one it has been cleaning?

Comments

• Options

Here is another sample, a simple dark spot?

• Options

How about this:

Affect an straight grade?

Or this:

• Options

Here is another one bronze-nickel coin with some white and dark spots, that look more as corrosion:

Too bad for a coin that it is not cheap an essai:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2023 10:59AM

I am not the ultimate expert on these coins, but the piece in your first post appears to be a normal 8 reale coin with the usual marks made when the edge device is applied.

The scratch and the chunk out of the edge in the second post is a problem. Those coins will not grade.

The pits in the third post are also a problem. This is either corrosion, or scrapped out corrosion or maybe even signs of a cast counterfeit. That also will not grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I am not the ultimate expert on these coins, but the piece in your first post appears to be a normal 8 reale coin with the usual marks made when the edge device is applied.

The scratch and the chunk out of the edge in the second post is a problem. Those coins will not grade.

The pits in the third post are also a problem. This is either corrosion, or scrapped out corrosion or maybe even signs of a cast counterfeit. That also will not grade.

Thank you for your comments on this, it helps a lot!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:
    How about this:

Affect an straight grade?

Or this:

First one looks like an edge defect and should still straight grade. Second one seems to be a scratch and would likely get details graded.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    First one looks like an edge defect and should still straight grade. Second one seems to be a scratch and would likely get details graded.

Thanks!, that helps.