Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bolivian Republic Coinage

SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 15, 2023 9:44PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Curious to know if anyone owns Bolivian republic coinage that’s NOT an 8 Soles. I’d love to see them.

Even if you have an 8 Sol coin, post away!

Here are a couple:

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

This proc has been in my collection about 11 years. It's similar to Fon-9461, but that piece is uniface while this is a regular strike on both sides. I do actually have the silver uniface strikes of both sides as well. All of them are rare and I have never seen any others.

I only include it as there are many "coinage procs" for Bolivia which may have traded as coins.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 11:58AM

They almost certainly did trade as coinage, that’s a really cool piece! What size is it? 2 Sol size or so? @pruebas

• Options

There was reverse uniface trial strike that Sedwick sold recently in tin, did you happen to see that? I should have fought harder for it.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    There was reverse uniface trial strike that Sedwick sold recently in tin, did you happen to see that? I should have fought harder for it.

I did see it and it appears not to have sold. Why not contact Sedwick if you want it?

https://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Potosi-Bolivia-tin-uniface-reverse-trial-1-sol-1852-FM-very-rare_i46544535

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 12:53PM

@SimonW said:
    They almost certainly did trade as coinage, that’s a really cool piece! What size is it? 2 Sol size or so? @pruebas

It is 30.3mm and 14.48g. Not sure if that's a 2 Sol or what?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@SimonW said:

It is 30.3mm and 14.48g. Not sure if that's a 2 Sol or what?

Closer to the 4 sol it looks like, the half dollar size. I think they’re 13.5g or thereabouts.

That’s odd about the auction. There was spirited bidding over $700. I assume it didn’t meet the reserve or someone backed out. Thanks for the info!

• Options

@pruebas ,looks like this piece has been up for auction before and didn’t sell in 2022, but did recently.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2023 3:22PM

Here are two 1 escudo sized proclamations from Bolivia. Both are dated 1839.

• Options

Bolivian coinage is host to some of the most beautiful designs of 19th century Latin America. I have handled dozens of the undenominated proclamation medals of the first half of the century, but the most visually appeasing (and fastest selling) are of course the iconic 8 sol coinage. When back from grading, I will share pictures of a beautiful 1862 I have. Cheers

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 5:03PM

Mine’s just an AU, but it’s pleasing

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2023 3:41PM

Bolivian Republic is one of my two side collections, but the decimals from 1864-1909, not the portrait coinage which has a noticeably higher preference.

Here is one which is quite difficult to buy, 1874 20C. I also own the 1870, 1872, and 1873.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:
    Bolivian Republic is one of my two side collections, but the decimals from 1864-1909, not the portrait coinage which has a noticeably higher preference.

Here is one which is quite difficult to buy, 1874 20C. I also own the 1870, 1872, and 1873.

Nice

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

That 1850 just SLAYS me every time I see it Brian.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

That’s very very nice, not a republic coin, but certainly worth posting. This is a specimen? So not a regular issue? What’s the meaning of “millennia?” Curious to know more about it.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 7:23AM

@SimonW said:

That’s very very nice, not a republic coin, but certainly worth posting. This is a specimen? So not a regular issue? What’s the meaning of “millennia?” Curious to know more about it.

Millennia Collection Sale. Two days of insanity and crazy prices.
    http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/toc_auc.php?site=1&lang=1&sale=46

That coin is a hoard coin. There are many that are close in quality, perhaps even a few better. Well over 100 coins in the hoard, all 1774-PTS JR 8Rs. I think it was discovered in the 1973? Most have been released over the last 10 years or so.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 9:04AM

@pruebas

Woah…that was before my time, I was collecting US back then. I’ve heard people talk about the millennial sale, now that I think about it more. Had no idea what they were talking about. The Peruvian pillars are very nice.

• Options

It seems that the Goldbergs haven't maintained the images in their auction archives. Sadly the link no longer has the photos from the sale. Good thing I have the catalog.

I have tended to drop the Millennia provenance when reholdering. Nothing against it, just favor of the more historical ones...

Jamaica 6S8P was Millennia, now Byrne/Goodman
    1837 Colombia 8R was Millennia, now Brand/Norweb

Im sure there are a few more I am forgetting

• Options

Bolivia. 8 Reales, 1774 PTS-JR (Potosi). Eliz-12; KM-55. 27.01 grams. Charles III, 1759-1788. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Charles III right. Reverse: Reverse: Crowned Bourbon arms, flanked by bannered pillars. Obverse die shows light clashing at left, while raised area at right edge likely indicates the beginning of die collapse. Otherwise, fully struck up, with semi-matte devices on lustrous fields, which shimmer with cartwheel brilliance. The finest known specimen. NGC graded MS-65.

Charles was nicknamed "the mayor of Madrid", for his development of municipal city works. He even passed a statute prohibiting the dumping of garbage on the city streets, which to that point, had been a regular activity. For this attempt at cleanliness, he was strongly opposed.
    Estimated Value $2,500 - 3,000.
    Ex: Calberto Collection.

@pruebas will note the spelling

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Bolivia. 8 Reales, 1774 PTS-JR (Potosi). Eliz-12; KM-55. 27.01 grams. Charles III, 1759-1788. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Charles III right. Reverse: Reverse: Crowned Bourbon arms, flanked by bannered pillars. Obverse die shows light clashing at left, while raised area at right edge likely indicates the beginning of die collapse. Otherwise, fully struck up, with semi-matte devices on lustrous fields, which shimmer with cartwheel brilliance. The finest known specimen. NGC graded MS-65.

Charles was nicknamed "the mayor of Madrid", for his development of municipal city works. He even passed a statute prohibiting the dumping of garbage on the city streets, which to that point, had been a regular activity. For this attempt at cleanliness, he was strongly opposed.
    Estimated Value $2,500 - 3,000.
    Ex: Calberto Collection.

@pruebas will note the spelling

Is that where you picked up that funny name?!