Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gorgeous Silver 1901 U.S. Mint PanAm Expo Medal So-Called Dollar Crossed

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 9, 2023 8:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was just researching the 1901 PanAm Expo and ran across this gorgeous So-Called Dollar by George Thomas Brewster. This was struck by the U.S. Mint in Buffalo using dies made in Philadelphia.

This one isn't mine but I have 4 medals of this design, so I must like it!

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice medal.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a design which grabbed me when I first started collecting SC$'s. It has two really interesting design nuances: the figure on the obverse and the reverse design orientation.

The obverse figure is described as a "Standing heroic Indian figure" when it seems to me to be a personification of Christ standing on that eagle, but either way it's pretty cool.

The reverse orientation is pretty clear, intended to show the proper north-south alignment of the two continents and the lettering to the left running vertical. Yet the TPG's and auction services insist on rotating it to position the lettering horizontally. Consider the Heritage description below:
    --- 1901 Pan-American Expo Medal, HK-289, MS65 NGC. Brass, 34 mm. A standing, heroic Indian is astride a soaring eagle, with minuscule G.T. BREWSTER below. The reverse shows a map of the Western Hemisphere with particulars concerning the exposition. Interestingly, the reverse on this example is just about 90 degrees rotated from normal medal turn. The luster is brilliant, and a small dark toning spot is all that likely precludes an even higher grade. Census: 21 in 65, 17 finer (4/08).

Really?? Actually it was designed like that!! :p

• Options

It's a wonderful design, but the orientation of the reverse can be an issue on these as mentioned by @Maywood. Luckily I've seen more recent photos get it right.

• Options

By the way, a good way to identify the correct orientation of the reverse is to look at the PanAm Expo monogram.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was one of the first SCDs I picked up years and years ago on a whim. They are great.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

They even look terrific circulated.
    I picked this one up a three decades ago and sent it to PCI for grading.

peacockcoins

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've kept mine raw, but just have to find them first!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@braddick said:
    They even look terrific circulated.
    I picked this one up a three decades ago and sent it to PCI for grading.

Very nice Pat!

It's great to see one of these with so much wear! That doesn't even look like it has a HK number on it!

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have owned a high grade brass example for at least a decade, but a high grade silver has eluded me. :/

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file