Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I am confused. I take it there is no King Charles III coronation set.

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked in vain for a coin set like the 1953 Elizabeth II set and the two 1937 sets that were issued for King George VI. I did see some gold coins with ridiculously low mintages that are already sold out. That is very disappointing.

It seems that there is no set, which is odd given the gold coin sets that England has issued for much less important events.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

They seem to be gearing up for a sovereign set https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/ryi-sovereign/

I would think there is zero chance of them not cashing in on it.

• Options

They issued this set for George VI in 1937. I know it would cost a lot, but one would think that the British Mint would issue something like this.

They issued a number of gold sets for Elizabeth I in the '80s, '90s and 2000s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@John Conduitt said:
    They seem to be gearing up for a sovereign set https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/ryi-sovereign/

Yep - get on their mailing list and be ready to shell out some big bucks.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@John Conduitt said:

Yep - get on their mailing list and be ready to shell out some big bucks.

As it is with U.S. commemorative coins, it might be better to wait a few years, and buy them in a few years. It’s sad that the British Government has become so greedy. If they want collectors respect the monarchy, this is not the way to do it.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1937 set you posted looks attractive-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

"it might be better to wait a few years"

Britain Charles II crown 1662
    Silver, 40 mm, 29.70 gm

Britain Charles II half crown 1663
    Silver, 33 mm, 14.30 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@John Conduitt said:

The royal mint has shown more respect for a “football event” (soccer) than their king’s coronation. I’ll wait to see what shows up at the shows in the next few years to fill the Charles III spot in my collection. Their marketing had been the pits.

• Options

They’ve put out a lot of coronation associated coins, but I haven’t seen any mention of a medal yet. Some nice designs, but just too many.

• Options

Yes, Charles I in the secondary market. A Charles I Unite.

And Charles II. A shilling

And a half guinea

• Options

Very nice - especially the Unite.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted publicly on Twitter by Cameron Maclean, the medal is in the Hunter Collection at the University of Glasgow. "Scottish coronation medal of Charles II. It was cast to celebrate the coronation of Charles II on 1st January 1651, the last to take place in Scotland."

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

@BillJones I think the proof sov set coming later this year is it. I managed to get a SOTD sov which is now in the mail (excuse the bragging). That proof set is going to be a winner if it’s a crowned portrait as speculated

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a hallmark for his coronation:

https://youtu.be/SMeL9Jcaxjk

I have an example and I think it’s super cool: