Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020-D Jefferson nickel with possible error.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this universe and the hobby of coin collecting, I have caught the bug and have been at it for about a year now. I received a nickel the other day that caught my interest. The photos attached show the front of the coin to be missing most of the head and some lettering. Could use some help to determine if this is pre or post stamping error from all you veteran coin collectors. Look forward to the discussions.

Thanks,

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2023 4:49PM

Yes, I would say that is a major (in my book) struck thru error or some type of lamination. Others will chime in. Good eye! Welcome to the forum.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.
    What you have is a Struck Through Grease error.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pays to look at your change. Certainly a Strike Through and a very nice example.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice struck thru error.

• Options

Oakstar,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, and my first like!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not so sure it was struck through grease - parts of the missing areas have sharp, defined edges. Maybe the error experts can speculate on exacting what it was struck though.

In any case, great find.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lonniechappy said:
    Oakstar,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, and my first like!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, first time I recall a new member with an error coin that was actually an error...🤯

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lonniechappy ... Welcome aboard. Looks like you found a 'struck through' error coin. Good find. Some of our error collectors will have opinions on what was struck through... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file