Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I refurbished and put together a Vintage Washington Quarter National Coin Album w/Wayte boards today

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2023 8:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I polished the album binder cover with mildew inhibiting Astonish leather conditioner polish, strengthened the spines with Klucel G (Hydroxypropylcellulose) dissolved in 99% isopropyl alcohol, reglued loose page bindings with archival non-acidic Polyvinyl Alcohol glue, cleaned the acetate slides with eyeglass cleaner and transferred the coins from 2x2s and a couple of very old Whitman folders. So satisfying filling the holes. Only I still haven’t received the brown boot polish I ordered to touch up the spines where the yellow is showing through the brown color and I found I still need 1 quarter I thought I had. All of the things I used to refurbish the album were what I ordered last weekend after researching how the experts refurbish antique books and they all seemed to work quite well.

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that's actually a National Coin album, the Raymond's came before these as I recall. I have a few I've bough over the years and have out in the shed. They have some value on their own. Still a cool way to keep your quarter set.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarters look great in the book!

They're all perfectly balanced wear-wise, and that in itself is extra fun getting them like that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2023 8:10PM

@DollarAfterDollar Yes, you’re right. I should correct that. The boards inside are Wayte Raymond though. I actually refurbished 7 binders today, a mix of Wayte Raymond, Meghrig and the Nationals, but the quarter album is the only one I put coins and coin boards in.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent job! A man after my own heart. Attention to detail.

WTG.
    Lance.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the hickey heck happened to the 1953?!

peacockcoins

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool 😎

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Job :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good. Wonder where the 53 slithered off to?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding job!! 👍🏻 A perfect and consistent classic look to that album and coins!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud.... Great work!!! It looks like new... and the coins are really nice as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks everybody. The 1953 is empty because I thought I had one in a partially filled old Whitman folder. But when I popped it out of the folder I found there was actually a 1953 S in the hole where the 1953 should have been. So I went on eBay last night and found one that is consistent with the look/grade of the rest of the album. I also think I need to get a new 1937 because the one in the album has 2 huge rim hits. Probably will also replace the 1953-D because the one in the album has too many dark spots all over Washington and doesn’t match the others.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice work on the albums and boards and nice consistent look on the coins.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file