Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

why is this 1909 lincoln cent bid so high?

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2023 2:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1909-1c-ms66-red-pcgs-pcgs-population-577-108-and-49-18-ngc-census-186-17-and-6-1-cdn-275-whsle-bid-for-ngc-p/a/60317-54274.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

It is not mine- and I have no interest in it per se.
grey bid looks to be 280 in ms66 and 1200 in ms67

this would have to be 67+ which I guess some people think it is

may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there those who believe it's proof?
    (It's not.)

I look forward to other collectors'/dealers' responses.

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 2:33PM

Good question, unless as braddick suggested and a few bidders think it is a proof there is no logical reason for that. It is a very nice coin but I do not see it upgrading to a 68 from the photos, maybe in hand or at lot viewing some peeps saw something I'm missing. Really has me wondering if I should be selling these days, lol.

I've bid on and am tracking a handful of coins in this auction, but I've already been out bid on every lot I did bid on and those I'm tracking are heading into moon money territory. This has been the trend I have been seeing, bidders are very hungry and if they want a coin the cost (or any bid premium) is no concern.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I do not believe this is a proof. But it looks like it could be a 67 condidate. None the less, that price seems out of wack.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamika said:
    I do not believe this is a proof. But it looks like it could be a 67 candidate. Nonetheless, that price seems out of wack.

Interesting.
    PCGS and perhaps CAC don't think so.

peacockcoins

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

It definitely is not a proof. None of the diagnostics for either die are present.

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Inquiry? When you see grading reports for example 186/35, does that mean 186 in that grade with 35 higher graded?

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof yes it does for that designation. ie red or red brown brown. Fb. Cam and dcam etc.

Martin

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Martin Appreciate it.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps 2 rich bidders in a bid war.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone thinks it's a rare proof doubled die discovery, and they are going to post it on the forum. :D
    And we will welcome this new member and confirm their new great discovery. :p

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a proof but I could understand someone looking to cherrypick, and not being expert enough in it, to think it may be :(
    Not a 67. Nope. Uh uh

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah the mystique of auctions.... So often, this question is asked... There could be several reasons, or just two determined bidders... It really is why they hold auctions...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

DDO -> doubling seen on second 9

similar to early FS-1102 seen on 1909 VDB

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much did it sell for? I cant see without an account.

The seller must be happier than h%$#.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2023 6:29AM

@Shane6596 said:
    How much did it sell for? I cant see without an account.

The seller must be happier than h%$#.

$5,640

Edited to add: It doesn't cost anything to get an account, which includes access to the auction archives.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2023 6:50AM

Seller happy, buyer sad. Is what it is.
    Jim

Edited to add:

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes 2 to run up the bid. Clearly there were 2 here who thought something we do not

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignoring the price, it is a really pretty coin. :)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very clearly not a matte proof. Would someone have paid that much to make the first 1909-P gold sticker (in any grade/color)?

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a generic coin thru GC for 8X CAC list last year. Was in a rattler and a very nice toned coin as a 66, but CAC just gave it a green (I only sent it in because I thought it might get a gold sticker). I didn't even follow the auction and was shocked the next day. No clue.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty coin, but there are marks on the obverse that, IMHO, might keep it from 67 or higher.

imageimage

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of the many 1909 Cents saved because they were the first year of issue, the OP coin is an upper crust specimen.

Perhaps some deep pocketed collector wanted to "pretty up" their collection.

When it comes to being loaded, all bets are off.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file