Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is wrong with this U.S. Silver Dollar Book?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2023 1:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Their must be an issue with "The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia" by John W. Highfill as it sells for under $15 and is 1200 pages long. It was published in 1990 so not that old that lack of info available and with 1200 pages it should have it all. Just wondering why so inexpensive.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the way to answer your question is to buy the lowest priced book available. 🤔

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many good articles in it. Perhaps dated, but definitely a good one to have in the numislibrary. Some have referred to it as the Highfill family photo album for the sheer number of photo sections inside. I like the book. Usually is next to the Bowers 2-volume set on my shelf.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the book some time ago for $12 and thought that I had gotten a steal, but then noticed these selling at the same range. Just curious as to how a 1200 page book would have dropped so low.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    There are many good articles in it. Perhaps dated, but definitely a good one to have in the numislibrary. Some have referred to it as the Highfill family photo album for the sheer number of photo sections inside. I like the book. Usually is next to the Bowers 2-volume set on my shelf.

I was at a Long Beach coin show when this book was released. Although I got a dealer's discount at the time and I'm sure John knew much more than I ever would, I was disappointed in the overall content because the book was really like a family photo album. I quickly sold my copy and never looked back.

There are other vintage dollar books that have aged well over the years. My favorite is Wayne Miller's Silver Dollar Textbook or any of the edition of Leroy Van Allen's books.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The used book market is very picky. Apparently this book has not stood the test of time.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be a lot out there.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many printed, not enough demand…

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low demand, mediocre reviews..... dated material. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file