Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

“Flying Eagle Coin Shop-Study” oil painting in a Philly hospital

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was walking through a Philly hospital today for a visit (not a fun day, but everything will be okay) and they had a wall of paintings of various sizes. This little one caught my eye. I’m guessing it’s a shop from the Philly area, and since the painting is 42 years old and a quick search didn’t turn anything up, I’m also guessing it’s long gone.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the hospital visit, I hope everything is ok.
    That's a nice painting.

Shiny things distract me.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a fictional place? Good to hear no serious health issues.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, especially the shadows of the fire escape on the wall. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good name for a coin shop.

• Options

And look at that… just bought the flying eagle cent that’s been on my want list for a long while 🙂

To clarify: yes serious, yes under control and everything will be okay, no it’s not me.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really neat name. If it isn't real anymore, I hope someone takes it up for their own shop.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Looking at the Newman portal it seems that there was a shop with the same name in 1960s (unknown location) and in 1974 it was located in Lawrence, MA.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 5:20PM

cool painting to hang in the shop

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a photo realist painting and the 1981 date puts it right into the era when that style was popular. I suspect coin shop did exist as most photo realist work from that era tried to be as accurate as possible. The artist may still be living. Try to contact him and see what he remembers about the subject of the painting.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a shot in the dark.
    Being from Philly and when I saw the painting, one location rang true.
    On The University of Penn campus there's a starbucks and damm if it don't look spot on.
    Look it up.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe 34th & Walnut

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

Sounds like you found it.
    Now google the building. It's just a feeling I got.
    I'll crap if it's one in the same.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

here's another Ed Bordett painting

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I'm guessing that the image above and through the sign, on the left, isn't the artist's mark.
    No matter.
    I'm a Wyatt type of person.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a talented artist, and his ability to capture such detail is amazing - almost photographic. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2023 4:58AM

@291fifth said:
    It looks like a photo realist painting and the 1981 date puts it right into the era when that style was popular. I suspect coin shop did exist as most photo realist work from that era tried to be as accurate as possible. The artist may still be living. Try to contact him and see what he remembers about the subject of the painting.

That style is still popular today, and has even had a slight resurgence- just look at any issue of the bi-monthly Fine Art Connoisseur Magazine! (Yes, in addition to coins and fine wine, art is also a hobby of mine).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

I heard back from the artist:

“If my memory serves me correctly, the shop was located in Roanoke, Virginia on an area, called the city market, and I believe it might be first Street. At that point it was a pretty gritty area.
    It’s interesting that that is where this painting has landed. Thank you for commenting on it Ed“

Once I’m at a computer I’ll see if I can virtually drive around that area with google maps and turn something up. Of course, if the building is no longer there, good luck…

• Options

@airplanenut said:

Once I’m at a computer I’ll see if I can virtually drive around that area with google maps and turn something up. Of course, if the building is no longer there, good luck…

could this be it, I think so

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

May - 2018

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently the quality of "Detective-work" among our members is phenomenal!

I suggest keeping an eye on openings in the FBI.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the contributions make this an enjoyable thing. Love CU. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of reminds me of the artist Edward Hopper of whom I like!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@1630Boston said:

@airplanenut said:

could this be it, I think so

@1630Boston said:
    May - 2018

That’s got to be it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file