Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are these the same coin?

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Bought this one with the black background in a coin shop today out of the junk silver can for $12.50. I looked on eBay to see the value and found this coin that sold two weeks ago with the blue background. They look like the same coin. What do you think? What are the odds?

Comments

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks the same. Scratches on both sides appear identical, in same place, etc.

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2023 7:07PM

How it sold on eBay from a seller in Missouri two weeks ago and ended up in coin dealers junk silver can in Rockford Illinois is bizzaro.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure does look the same, what a coin-incedence 😉

Mr_Spud

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

For $12.5 that’s a bargain.

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really similar, especially the scratches and not having identical lighting between pictures but my guess is no.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

such a fast sell,,,,,,
    Hope the original buyer didn't get robbed, and their coins sold......

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

What if it never sold, maybe shill bid and then back in his junk drawer.

@RobertScotLover said:

But it sold in Missouri and I got the coin in Rockford Illinois

• RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Darktone I used to live in Rockford for 57 years do you live there?
    Did you get it at Rockford Coin and Stamp or at the Coin show there.

Rob

Rockford coin and stamp. I am in southern Wisconsin

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I would say they are not the same coin. Check the ding above the dentils on the reverse above “OF.” The blue background coin is missing the ding.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - my lord though what an awful looking coin.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a mark on the "O" of "OF" that's exactly the same on both coins among dozens of other marks and scratches that are identical on both coins. Obviously, the same coin. Between the scratches and harsh cleaning, this poor coin has led a hard life. It may have spent time in a Walmart parking lot.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@darktone said:

@RobertScotLover said:

But it sold in Missouri and I got the coin in Rockford Illinois

Sold in Missouri to WHOM. If the buyer is in Rockford, it's not such a mystery.

That said, I don't think it's the same coin. Where's the scratch on the Eagle's neck? The scratch across the shield is straight across the left wing on one coin but slightly rising on the other.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures are of the same coin... differences perceived are due mainly to lighting and angle of picture. Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like it.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the same coin to me also. How much did it sell for on ebay?

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 5:50AM

Since we are already in the Twilight Zone, may I suggest another possibility: they are both copies of the same coin?

Higashiyama
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same coin. The additional ding mentioned could be lighting or angle effects, or it could could have happened after receiving the coin or being placed in the junk box.

Strong possibility the coin was stolen, IMO. But if it was, the buyer was likely made whole by ebay. So certainly there would be no need or expectation to check or inquire.

Very unusual situation! Thanks for sharing the experience/find.

----- kj
  • dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:
    I would say they are not the same coin. Check the ding above the dentils on the reverse above “OF.” The blue background coin is missing the ding.

Two weeks is plenty of time for a coin to acquire a ding, especially if it was in a junk bin or something similar. I think it's the same coin.

Young Numismatist

@jedm said:
    Looks like the same coin to me also. How much did it sell for on ebay?

$28 plus $3.75 shipping. To sell it for a loss that quickly? Odd

@Higashiyama said:
    Since we are already in the Twilight Zone, may I suggest another possibility: they are both copies of the same coin?

That crossed my mind too. I am going to look at it closer.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

those are scratches and not a partially defaced die variety?

there seems to be a new ding/scratch to the right of the date and below the date ... unless they 'edited' the ebay picture to make coin look better.

For sure scratches

edited April 30, 2023 8:12AM

The scratch through the S and the dirt in the E.

• Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

That's not the same coin. One example would be to look at the area right of the 5. One has a scratch the other does not.

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s the same; spooky action at a distance, though.

edited April 30, 2023 9:08AM

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the same coin. Look at the scratch form the inner bottom of the eagle's left (facing) wing down to the dentils. Then about 2/3 of the way along the scratch from the wingtip to the dentils note the small black spot above the scratch on its left side. Lighting makes other areas confusing, but not this one. No doubt about it.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 9:19AM

@Coll3ctor said:
    That's not the same coin. One example would be to look at the area right of the 5. One has a scratch the other does not.

Coins acquire scratches. If there's a scratch that can prove that they're not the same coin, it will be in the blue photo.

Young Numismatist

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 9:48AM

Quantum Entanglement is what's going on...

Does the coin ever move or rotate on its own? If so, that's the ebay guy looking at his coin and affecting yours.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:

That was my first thought.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you contacted the seller from the 2 week ago eBay sale about any problems with sale (like lost in transit)?

No one would sell a coin for 1/3 what they bought it for in less than 2 weeks, when they could just return it for full refund.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's the same coin as weird as that seems from all the similar scratches.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file