Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CSNS report, from behind the table (in the back forty)

SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I set up at the show this week, did all 4 days. I set up with another Forum member (he can out himself if he wants!). We hadn't met in person before, so lots of preshow communication made this experience really good. Id say this show was a blast for both of us (well, at least me! :p ) Things that I noticed:

As a dealer, the application process essentially threatened you with not being able to set up again in the future if you weren't still there at 3 pm on Saturday. 30-40% of the tables were empty by Friday night. It was steadily getting emptier by noon on Saturday.

Metal prices were strong. ASEs were +12, rounds +3-5, etc. Generic coins were not trading at "bid" very often. As such, prices were often higher and firmer. I did not sell much generic gold, but I did see better quality CAC certed gold being rapidly bought/sold.

PCGS staff were super friendly and helpful. I can also say the same about the smaller presence of NGC folks as well.

Layout was interesting. The "wholesale" only section seemed like a good idea, but I didn't really see it in action. The upstairs was reported to have done well on Thursday, as some folks were apparently "confused" as to which way the main bourse was, and went upstairs first. A friend said they did brisk business on Thursday.

The "back 40" was slower paced than other locations, it's true. But it seems like it did ok. Still lots of the dealers made the rounds, and a good amount of the retail folks as well. I'll figure out how to cut costs next year if I do it again (or leverage for a different location). I think part of the reason there was still good foot traffic in the back was because the world and paper money sections were back there, so that drove some traffic to the back.

Other dealers that I talked to all had good shows. Also, when I asked questions of other dealers in areas outside my expertise, they readily shared knowledge, which was nice. I was given a nice compliment by another dealer who said that he noticed tgat I greeted everyone that came to the table. Well, at least I tried to! It was busy at times!

Tons and tons of 10-100k coins on the floor. Spectacular eye candy everywhere. From shipwrecks to EAC, it had it all. For me, foreign coins flew out of inventory fast. The 5-25 dollar range was hot. Why? No idea. Also hot was toned Morgan dollars, bust halves, and coins in the $50-500 range, of all kinds. I was asked about error coins a dozen times. Must be hot now.

I got the pleasurable chance to meet in person multiple forum members including messydesk, deplorabledan, gscoins, dscoins, charmy, Seth chandler, etc. Also got to catch up with prior friends and acquaintances! One awesome experience was a buddy from another forum drove up from GA. and we got to meet in person! One of the crowning jewels of the week was the time spent with him!

From the back 40, looking even further back....

Some inventory

Bourse

I'm sure I missed stuff and have misspelled words. I typed this on my phone before take off!

Aloha!
Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and nice report. I was there Thursday and Friday. I went by your table a couple times.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report. Thanks for taking the time. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, It was a pleasure meeting you and I’m sure we’ll cross paths again at a show in the future. Definitely a show Im going to keep in my rotation for next year.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved the report and all the photos. Just wish I could go to some more and at least a big one. Thanks :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Great report, thanks.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, Surf; thanks for posting!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options

Thanks for the report, you travelled a long way to Illinois. I was at the show Thursday afternoon and really enjoyed it. However, the time was short and I didn't see your table. Next time I'm in Hawaii, I'll look you up.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great time!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

A terrific time speaking with you about your "other" job and about the U of A. I hope the show was a success for you!

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people liked your name lol.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

Thanks for the report.

The Friday/Saturday issue seems to come up no matter what type of convention or show it is. The perception used to be that people worked M-F and did their hobbies on weekends. However, this no longer seems to be true. There is no more “general public” it seems. Either you are into something or you are not. If you are into it, you will come whatever day of the week it is.

Moving a show away from weekends sometimes gets better rates. They can do mud wrestling or kids volleyball on weekends as the hotels are always booked for kids travel ball no matter where you go.

How many kids and families actually show up at a coin convention?

Give it up and forget about Friday/Saturday? Just sayin, there is no way to blackmail us to hold over on a day when we got grass to mow at home.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    I think people liked your name lol.

I did get a ton of positive feedback on it, ha! :)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great show reports (both of them)... Look forward to more 'team reports'... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice report, i like :)

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. Any word on the hotdogs? Were they any good?

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Great report. Any word on the hotdogs? Were they any good?

Imo the food on the bourse was the only bad thing about this show, in comparison to FUN where there were several different really good options. It was a basic concession stand with pizza, chicken tenders, pretzels and they may or may not have had hot dogs. I got the pizza and I was disappointed.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report. Thanks for taking the time to share your prospective on the show.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Custerlost said:

The Friday/Saturday issue seems to come up no matter what type of convention or show it is. The perception used to be that people worked M-F and did their hobbies on weekends. However, this no longer seems to be true. There is no more “general public” it seems. Either you are into something or you are not. If you are into it, you will come whatever day of the week it is.

Last show I attended was the 2020 ANA in Atlanta. It was the first time I took off from work to arrive at the open on Day 1 to increase the odds of finding something for my collection. It took me a little over an hour to stop by the relevant tables, I found one coin, and then I left. It was a 1767 Bolivia 4R.

No point in going back another day or staying longer. There is unlikely to be anything else I want to buy later.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file