1873-CC Trade Dollar (Update Inside!)

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2023 6:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This one gets two neato-burritos.

Update here!

Full res links;
Obverse
Reverse

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2023 12:37PM

Love the look. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, tough year!

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Looks like:

7 – I19/I9 : Slanted 1 / CC Low Tilted Right

Obv - Wide centered date with the 1 slanted left. Rev – Medium CC mint mark, wide (just over a C width separates), set low, both titled left but the right C (under the comma) more so. Rev – Medium CC mint mark set low and tilted right. The C on the right is under the comma and tilted further. Struck with a 5° relative die rotation.

http://registry.ssdcvams.com/Trade/1873-CC_Trade.html

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin for the grade.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. That's one date and mintmark combo I don't have. I sold one here several years ago and never replaced it.

Trade $'s
  • Options

@TennesseeDave said:
    I like it. That's one date and mintmark combo I don't have. I sold one here several years ago and never replaced it.

Tough date, yeah. Sorry you haven't replaced yours yet!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    Tough date, yeah. Sorry you haven't replaced yours yet!

I just haven't found the right one at the right price. Prices have skyrocketed in the last few years.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the original look of your 1873-CC.

Is she graded?

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    This one gets two neato-burritos.

Beautiful looking coin. Thanks for sharing.

@TennesseeDave said:

My first one in the raw for the Dansco came with a hole that was given F 12 details designation by ANACS, Got stuck after subsequent upgrade to VF 25 due to the steep price curve and also because the focus had shifted to landing the proofs by then. :blush:

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    I like the original look of your 1873-CC.

Is she graded?

Raw, actually.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!
    I love the hard, dove gray surfaces.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my problem coin 73-CC.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1874CC Trade dollar.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

This date/mm has several varieties for the aficionado:

MPD FS-301 VF20 (also the 1.2mm "Wide CC"):

MPD FS-302 VF25:

XF45 CAC:

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I didn't even look at the high res pics. Very interesting for sure!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know there were hi resolution pics. I thought the coin looked a bit too clean for the grade.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:
    Wow! I didn't even look at the high res pics. Very interesting for sure!

+1, but I'm not sure I would have caught it regardless, well done counterfeit.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this is slightly embarrassing. . .

:neutral:

peacockcoins

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Maybe it’s just a photo-vs-in-hand thing, but how do you tell a repeater from a legit contact mark?

I’m looking at these photos and thinking—absent the other die transfer indicators—none of repeaters would have raised red flags for me.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely deceptive, thank you for posting this.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@Shurke said:
    Maybe it’s just a photo-vs-in-hand thing, but how do you tell a repeater from a legit contact mark?

I’m looking at these photos and thinking—absent the other die transfer indicators—none of repeaters would have raised red flags for me.

Repeaters lack metal movement. Actual hits will have moved metal.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Thanks to all for chiming in and/or sharing their own examples of this tough date!

I thought something was off, but I trusted you. (Big mistake!) :D Very good counterfeit, fooled me.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Thanks to all for chiming in and/or sharing their own examples of this tough date!

I thought something was off, but I trusted you. (Big mistake!) :D Very good counterfeit, fooled me.

• Options

It never crossed my mind that it was not a genuine piece. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Repeaters lack metal movement. Actual hits will have moved metal.

Thanks. Appreciate the tip.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never considered it a counterfeit, but thought the face looked mishapen then saw the hires photos and saw it was just beatup. I felt the color somewhat different than most. Thanks for the info.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am signed up to take the ANA Counterfeit Detection class later this year at the SCNA show. This is exactly why! Appreciate these educational posts.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice analysis and excellent photos. do you have any of the edge reeding? I often find that is off on fakes.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! That would fool a lot of folks! Thanks for the share.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good fake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file