Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first cherrypicking attempt at the Houston Spring Coin Show

I spent about an hour at this show today. There were a few new dealers, but lots of the same ones, too. There were lots of very young people (less than 12) running around and buying and selling coins for profits.
I only got one picture of a dealer's table. Quick question - for those of you who do show reports and stuff, do you ask a dealer to take a picture of their inventory? I usually do, but I'm just wondering if it's necessary. Anyways, this table had lots of fugio coppers/cents, and I thought it was cool, because when I was a bit younger I thought they were the rarest coins in the world. There's also a chain cent.
Other treasures that were at this show were a pattern V-nickel (I can't recall the date or Judd number but it was pretty cool,) a 1,000 oz silver bar, and a Liberty $20 in a regency holder. I failed to get any information or images of any of these.

I moved on to a table with trays of all kinds of coins, mostly junk silver. Here's what I got:

These first three were in a $1 tray with mostly buffalo nickels, liberty head nickels and Indian head cents.
1910 Great Britain Threepence, $1 (1.41 grams sterling silver, I thought this was a Maundy coin when I bought it but apparently they used the same threepence design on the circulating and Maundy coins. Oh well. Melt value is $1.05.)
1922 Great Britain Sixpence, $1 (2.8 grams .500 silver, so about $1.14 melt.)
1963 Australia Sixpence, $1 (also 2.8 grams .500 silver.)
1944-D Philippines Ten Centavos, $1 (2 grams .75 silver, so about $1.20 melt.)

The big ones were these two.
1853 Arrows & Rays Quarter, $6.50.
1838 Dime, $2.50.
They're both PO-01 to FR-02, but they're still worth a bit more than what I payed for them.

I didn't buy anything else this time because I didn't see anything I was looking for.

Young Numismatist

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did well on the no drapery dime.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always ask permission of a dealer to take a picture of his inventory. Wouldn’t think not to.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first photo has to be Pierre Fricke’s table.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always ask.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might not be strictly necessary, but it is courteous and I can't think why you'd want to anger or upset someone you might want to business with in five minutes or five years.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think of the amount of work a dealer goes through to assess every single coin that comes into his inventory. The challenges and expenses of coin shows, travel, set up and display. Must be overwhelming at times.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to ask for permission, as you are not in a public place.

If you are in public, then you can photograph anything or anyone you wish.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430.... Thanks for the report. Good pictures.. and yes, proper to ask permission to photograph. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat pickups. And yes, I would always ask, even if I wanted to take a picture of a single coin.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 6:20AM

I did ask to take a picture. Just wondering!
    Also, yes, it was Pierre Fricke's table - really neat stuff over there, even though it's not what I collect.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    DCAMDCAM Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

To see the image full size, right click your mouse and select "open image in new tab" then go click on that new photo.

Buy More Coins!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file