Home U.S. Coin Forum

1943 copper penny THE LINCOLN BATTLE PORTRAIT

1943 Lincoln penny that was grease struck. It shoved the bottom of the 3 over towards the rim.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would striking through grease shove the number over? Striking through grease simply causes design elements to not be struck. It ḍoesn't move things around.

I'm kind of hoping that you're just a troll. The way you imagine rarities would make you an easy mark.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grease doesn't move design elements. :/

Agreed, not a 1943.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

That's a 1947 for sure. Look at the tail on the 3 of a genuine 1943, it extends down as far as the tail of the 9.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a damaged 1947. The last digit was hit by something hard, not grease during the minting process. Grease in the dies would hide details, not move them.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth a comment.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a damaged 1947 cent... Cheers, RickO

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW !!! 1943 ? That's a real stretch. Looks like a 47 or possibly a 42. Of course that'll never see a slab.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is it that these rarities always seem to come damaged where you have to use your imagination to see the date?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Prescience at it's best.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Severe PMD of a 7 or possibly 2.

It would be better to post a pic, ask if it can be a mint error or something else. Let everyone here look it over and give opinion.
    Lots of experts here, some were/are professional graders.

Posting a damaged coin, Declaring you have a VERY rare coin and the way it was created just comes across poorly.

Just trying to help so you can get more positive feedback.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭

Have to admit, if you think that is a 3, then you have a vivid imagination.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh now I see, Slick coins is back!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd, that's a 47 as stated above. Jmo

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send for grading like your other 1943 copper.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2023 1:54PM

@gumby1234 said:
    Send for grading like your other 1943 copper.

It would make more sense to just spend it at Walmart where you probably found it. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall Sense only makes sense to sensible people.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

:) What do we need with a special "Humor" Thread we have posters like this? :)

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure you sent enough pictures to document it?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Tough crowd. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file