Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

photograph authentication

hi guys
im quite new here and im looking for some help/advice from you. i recently bought a fight ticket from the "Rumble in the Jungle". I bought it from a fella whos dad had been at the fight. He gave me a bunch of photographs that he took while at the fight.
Photograph authentication isnt very popular in the Uk so i have no idea if it will add to the value or be worthwhile doing
do you think its worthwhile getting done?

Comments

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2023 4:22PM

Without it, I would say the value is minimal.... With it, I am not a photo collector, but I guess it depends what is in the image. Looks like it's $50 a pop at a minimum. Maybe show us some of the pics.

In the meantime I would read the PSA photo process to get an idea, and to make sure they would be tier 1 classified....

https://www.psacard.com/services/photoprocess

• Thanks Rufus. I appreciate you sending that link i havent seen it before.
    I think these are tier 1. there are taken at the start, various points in the fight and theres one of George foreman on his back after he was knocked down. its a wee bit blurry but you still know whats going on,
    ill message psa and see how much it would be to get them looked at. Being in Scotland makes it a bit tricky thats all

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

No real point to message them as the pricing is stated. It's based on what they are worth (which I think has more to do with if they are autographed)... I think you are basically looking at $50 a pop and all the shipping to and from Scotland...

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 1:58PM

@Greg6721 said:
    hi guys
    im quite new here and im looking for some help/advice from you. i recently bought a fight ticket from the "Rumble in the Jungle". I bought it from a fella whos dad had been at the fight. He gave me a bunch of photographs that he took while at the fight.
    Photograph authentication isnt very popular in the Uk so i have no idea if it will add to the value or be worthwhile doing
    do you think its worthwhile getting done?

Hiya Greg

First. Welcome to the boards!

Was curious. This fight was around Oct 1974.

Do your photos have the date on the back? Scans would be nice.

Mike
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the time, the value of the photos depends on the quality and clarity of the photos, who took them and their use, if any, in something recognizable.

Type I photos that appeared in publications, were used for posters, advertisements or cards tend to do have the greatest value; an iconic image printed from the original negative can do really well.

You have a major event which is a great start already. I would say some will come down to where the seats were, the quality of the camera and the framing of the shots themselves. And as mentioned, any type of dating of the photos is a major help, too.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest