Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Searching for cert coin in registry

TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to locate the registry owner of a specific certified coin?

In another words, how can I locate a specific certified coin within the registry to see who owns it? The cert lookup will say if it's in a registry set but not whose registry or where.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
My current Registry sets:
✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

Comments

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2023 8:44AM

If you use the VERIFY CERT. it will provide the Registry Set the coin is in unless the coin is in a Private Set.. Two examples are below:

_Current PCGS Registry Sets:
    This cert is currently in the Set Registry inventory of Lablover and is featured in one or more sets, including Emerald Coast Mercury's._

Current PCGS Registry Sets:
    This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

The later is what I usually see. Thanks.> @lablover said:

If you use the VERIFY CERT. it will provide the Registry Set the coin is in unless the coin is in a Private Set.. Two examples are below:

_Current PCGS Registry Sets:
    This cert is currently in the Set Registry inventory of Lablover and is featured in one or more sets, including Emerald Coast Mercury's._

Current PCGS Registry Sets:
    This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory.

The latter is what I usually see. Private. Thanks.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @lablover has mentioned already, if it is in a private set registry inventory then you might be toast. However, I had the same thing happen to me last year and eventually found the coin. I posted a thread about it on the boards and you may be able to search as I had for the piece you are looking for and possibly find it. The thread is below-

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1082873/a-multiyear-quest-to-find-a-specific-coin-achieved-thanks-to-the-generosity-of-a-board-member

Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

A couple months behind here, but... In terms of the Lablover reference above - when you search ^your own^ coin, it will tell you it's in "your" registry (listing by your name) -- if it's in anybody else's registry, it'll show it as "Private" -- I don't believe I've ever seen an exception to that. A coin I'd bought a couple years back was presumably stolen by a postal worker in New York (based on tracking information) -- seller couldn't pinpoint the cert number, but it was one of two (numbers I no longer have convenient access to) -- ONE of the certs showed up on the registry, the other never did. IF that user could have been identified, the seller would have probably been able to verify if it was one of his legitimate sales, and narrow down the other one as stolen. The seller was overseas and had no real interest or desire to pursue it, and it was all just something I kept an eye on periodically, just for my own OCD, but the second cert never popped up here, and I never had a reason to dig any deeper than that.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

When bidding in auctions I always run the cert # and sometimes it's in a registry set and sometimes it will show the owner's name and the set that it's in. That will be the case IF you the owner doesn't have his/her set dark.