Home Metal Detecting
Options

Can't hear a signal, what do I do?

Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

I've been metal detecting since 1974 (my first detector was a BFO model and I had a great time with it). I've been seriously losing my hearing for the last 10 or so years. I have hearing aids but according to my wife I miss a lot of what is going on around me.

I'm getting ready to buy a new detector but I need one that signals a find by other than audible tones. I can't spend all the time walking and swinging and watching the meter or read out, so is there a detector that vibrates rather than tones? If i can't find one then I'll probably end up giving up the hobby. I hate the idea of finding stuff and not knowing it. If I can't hear the tone I don't know something is there.

I don't know where else to turn for help on this. I'm almost 73 and still get out and swing and find and dig but my ability to find is going down hill in a hurry.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

would head phones and turning up the volume help?

• Options

Nope, even with headphones and volume up I can't discern or even hear most tones. I'll be completely deaf within a year.

• Options

Most of the newer detectors have a vibration option this may help you.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call a big detector dealer like Kellyco in Florida. Find out what options are available cause there's a lot of manufacturers. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

I think the Nokta Legend has vibration as well as some other Nokta models. I believe the MInelab Equinox 700. Equinox 900, and Manticore also have vibration.

• Options

You might also look into bone conduction headphones. I first heard about them in reference to military mine detectors; however, I believe the XP Deus II offers bone conduction headphones intended for underwater use. If these headphones will buzz your skull, they might be a good solution for you.

Let us know how you make out. I'd like to learn from your experience in case the same thing happens to me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50... Good luck with the suggestions above, and let us know what you do and how well it works out for you. This is an issue others could encounter. Would be a shame to give up the hobby you enjoy. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any way to add a light to your detector that is powered by the wires leading to the internal buzzer/beeper? So that way you can see the light flash when the audio device is triggered.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Thanks for the good idea and suggestions. I showed my wife some of the mentioned detectors and moification ideas. She reminded me that I'm not an electronics whiz anymore (I have mad skills with tube equipments and most of my HAM gear is tube based). Then I told her that the good detectors were only a few hundred dollars. She looked at the ads and gave me my glasses and that idea went down in flames.

She did volunteer, next time I got detecting to walk beside me and when the detector beeps she can jab me in the ribs to get me to look at the meter. That only works a few times until I have to sit down and rest my ribs.

I'm still hanging in there and still want to swing the coil. Maybe when it gets a little nicer out she will go out with me. She doesn't have to be more than 4 or 5 feet away and she can hear the beeps. There might be hope yet.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50... Good idea to have your wife join you... could get her a set of ear muffs and link them... That will work until she gets really interested and wants her own detector :D;) ... If you know anyone that is an electronics guy, he may be able to rig your detector for vibe or lights. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Klif50 said:
    Then I told her that the good detectors were only a few hundred dollars. She looked at the ads and gave me my glasses and that idea went down in flames.

Life is short. I'd encourage you to spend whatever it takes to keep enjoying the hobby. I think you can get a set of bone conducting headphone for under $100 and certainly for under $200. If you don't like them, return them to the seller.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:

She did volunteer, next time I got detecting to walk beside me.

Oh, I can hear it now - "I TOLD YOU IT WAS A BOTTLE CAP" - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

If money is a serious constraint, both the Nokta Simplex and the Minelab Xterra Pro offer vibration and each of these detectors is available for well under $300. You should be able to sell off your current detector or find enough change in a season or two to pay off one of these.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2023 11:18PM

Some of the minelab models pair to hearing aids by Bluetooth.
    OR have a clip on amplifier.