Home U.S. Coin Forum

Credit card acceptance via a 3rd party question

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

is it mandatory to accept CC's on feebay?
OR can a seller state in the Conditions of sales to state that this seller does NOT accept credit cards, either directly or indirectly via a third party like Paypal?
AND if payment is in "some way" via (PP) with a CC, then that transaction is the purchaser's responsibility and is between the buyer and that 3rd party firm (PP).????????????
after all, the contract to sell-buy is between seller and buyer and not seller and PP........
H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a HUGE red flag for me as a buyer. They won't even take a credit card payment through Paypal? That tells me that they are shady. Why would they care?

Dwayne Sessom
  • NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2023 8:34AM

@YQQ said:
    OR can a seller state in the Conditions of sales to state that this seller does NOT accept credit cards, either directly or indirectly via a third party like Paypal?
    AND if payment is in "some way" via (PP) with a CC, then that transaction is the purchaser's responsibility and is between the buyer and that 3rd party firm (PP).????????????
    after all, the contract to sell-buy is between seller and buyer and not seller and PP........
    H

Highly likely. Carefully read your agreement, specifically the Payments Terms of Use.

For the record, the contract is NOT "sell-buy" between the buyer and seller. The whole point is for eBay to insert itself into the middle of it. In order to list on eBay, you enter into an agreement with them, NOT the buyer.

That's what gives them the control they have over you, including, how, when and where you get paid. Only after all that happens do you get to the point of engaging with buyers. eBay is in the middle of everything, from allowing you to reach its buyers (its buyers, not yours), to dictating terms of payment and customers' rights to bust chops.

It's very unlikely eBay will allow you to unilaterally modify it. At the end of the day, eBay is running a business, and part of that is making it easy for its customers to pay.

You don't have to accept CCs, and you also don't have to use eBay's platform to reach customers. Your business, your call.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago...late nineties, early 2K, it was common to pay (on ebay) with postal money orders. I did that often, and also, on some things I have sold, (not ebay) asked for P.O. money orders. Secure and easy. Cheers, RickO

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's unenforceable. There is no way to pay ebay in cash. Ebay has no way to know how a PayPal payment is funded.

And, as someone else said, I would never buy online from someone insisting on cash payment. You would be intentionally trying to eliminate my protections.

Would you send cash to an unknown seller on ebay or Amazon?

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you know if a buyer used a CC, from what little I know of the managed payments that Ebay is using you have no ability to identify what type of payment a buyer has used unless they initiate a chargeback after the sale. My guess if you tried to put such terms in your auctions you would eventually be flagged by someone and ebay would tell you to take that verbiage out.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    H

I'm not a very active eBay buyer, but how often would any seller accept a CC as such? Is there a provision on eBay for you to accept a CC payment in the same manner as a B & M store would? I don't think it's even necessary to say I don't accept CC in your listing.

theknowitalltroll;

@BAJJERFAN said:

@YQQ said:
    H

I'm not a very active eBay buyer, but how often would any seller accept a CC as such? Is there a provision on eBay for you to accept a CC payment in the same manner as a B & M store would? I don't think it's even necessary to say I don't accept CC in your listing.

EVERY ebay seller is accepting credit cards through managed payments. Probably the vast majority of all payments are credit card. Only a fool wouldn't use a credit card to buy.

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@YQQ said:
    H

EVERY ebay seller is accepting credit cards through managed payments. Probably the vast majority of all payments are credit card. Only a fool wouldn't use a credit card to buy.

I don't know about managed payments, but I have 1 CC at eBay for any costs I'd incur in the very rare instance that I'd sell something there. That doesn't appear to be the CC that would be used to pay for anything I purchased via eBay.

So payment options are PP [the CC option tells me to add a cc] plus a couple other choices. So I have no direct CC funding in my managed accounts. The PP is funded thru a CC by default which is NOT the same CC that supports my eBay account. You are correct about the fool comment.

When you pay with a CC you are using their money and not yours which explains why they are so eager to keep your behind happy.

theknowitalltroll;
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the opposite--you can't actively offer an alternative to the buyer using eBay Checkout (which is either direct payment with a credit card or going through PayPal). With the current system of eBay taking the full set of final value fees from the payment (where previously sellers paid once a month) eBay can't collect the FVF if Checkout isn't used. It's a neat money-saving loophole, but you'll get in trouble for trying to use it.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@YQQ said:
    H

I don't know about managed payments, but I have 1 CC at eBay for any costs I'd incur in the very rare instance that I'd sell something there. That doesn't appear to be the CC that would be used to pay for anything I purchased via eBay.

So payment options are PP [the CC option tells me to add a cc] plus a couple other choices. So I have no direct CC funding in my managed accounts. The PP is funded thru a CC by default which is NOT the same CC that supports my eBay account. You are correct about the fool comment.

When you pay with a CC you are using their money and not yours which explains why they are so eager to keep your behind happy.

Sellers all get paid through managed payments. And the finding source from the buyer is probably a CC.

The bigger reason I say you'd have to be a fool not at use a CC is the safety of it. If there is a transaction problem, you have the option of a charge back. You can't charge back cash.

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@YQQ said:
    H

Sellers all get paid through managed payments. And the finding source from the buyer is probably a CC.

The bigger reason I say you'd have to be a fool not at use a CC is the safety of it. If there is a transaction problem, you have the option of a charge back. You can't charge back cash.

Even if you use cash thru PP you have some protection if you believe that PP is as great as some here espouse. I don't have a CC as a direct managed option.Been exclusively PP for years funded through a CC even if I have a cash balance at PP. I suppose a seller would prefer no CC because of the chargeback option, Does a seller even know by what means that he is being paid [unless the buyer offers a MO or personal check choice]?

theknowitalltroll;

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@YQQ said:
    H

Even if you use cash thru PP you have some protection if you believe that PP is as great as some here espouse. I don't have a CC as a direct managed option.Been exclusively PP for years funded through a CC even if I have a cash balance at PP. I suppose a seller would prefer no CC because of the chargeback option, Does a seller even know by what means that he is being paid [unless the buyer offers a MO or personal check choice]?

The seller does not know, hence my original point.

The CC gives you a second layer of protection, or third. Ebay and PayPal each have some guarantees but they defer to the CC company. And the CC company have more generous buyer guarantees.

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2023 9:09AM

I've seen too many auctions abruptly cancelled or ended early and often wonder if they've received a side offer or a cash transaction prompting the cancellation. Does the seller still pay a fee if they report no sale took place even though in reality it may have?

Many sellers have other store fronts where the coin (s) might sell before the eBay auction ends or sale expiration date.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

@Tramp said:
    I've seen too many auctions abruptly cancelled or ended early and often wonder if they've received a side offer or a cash transaction prompting the cancellation. Does the seller still pay a fee if they report no sale took place even though in reality it may have?

Many sellers have other store fronts where the coin (s) might sell before the eBay auction ends or sale expiration date.

In theory, eBay could charge them. In practice, I don't think they do.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @ricko . I sold a lot back in late 90s early 2000's and accepted checks and money orders . Wouldn't want to do that now!

Ken
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for your input.
    However, if a CC is used to pay Paypal , a chargeback can be initiated by the buyer for whatever reason for a long time after the transaction..... AND feebay will then distance itself from it and let the seller hang high and dry....???!!!
    the allowed time has elapsed....

@YQQ said:
    Thank you all for your input.
    However, if a CC is used to pay Paypal , a chargeback can be initiated by the buyer for whatever reason for a long time after the transaction..... AND feebay will then distance itself from it and let the seller hang high and dry....???!!!
    the allowed time has elapsed....

The credit card company is in charge because they made the payment. It is the reason people, at least smart people, prefer CC for online payments. Whether ebay guarantees are enforced depends on a lot of circumstances.

Ebay continues to enable millions of people to run businesses they otherwise could not. People can continue to criticize, but I've did $5k to $10k coins on ebay. I guarantee none of those buyers would have sent me $5k+ in cash to purchase those items.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 7:21PM

yes, you are most likely correct with these transactions.
    However, I think about 95 % or more ebay - coin transactions do not fall into these amounts of money...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file