Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 NFL Draft thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting ready for the draft next week, I'm looking forward to this, can't wait to see who we select as the no.1 overall pick.

Comments

• Options

I initially thought we were going to pick CJ Stroud, but now I'm hearing we might take Bryce Young, he's also the favorite in Vegas to be selected first overall.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon warming up for NFL talk!!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @doubledragon warming up for NFL talk!!!!

I'm looking forward to the draft next week, I'm excited, finally some football to discuss!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post the order of picks as it currently stands...might help facilitate discussion.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2023 6:17PM

@thisistheshow said:
    Can you post the order of picks as it currently stands...might help facilitate discussion.

Yes, I do believe this is the order of the picks. I must confess, I'm very excited about the draft, a chance for my cats to build a successful football team. I feel like there's hope again. I will be talking more in the coming days about Bryce Young, I've been studying up on him a bit, and I like what I see!

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭

For Youngs sake he better be hoping someone else goes 1. Young is looking like close to a lock for 1 right now but thatll be a very tough situation even though he is the best QB in the draft. As strange as it sounds Houston would be a better landing spot

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the mock drafts that I've read have had 4 QBs going in the top half of the first round, if one falls to NE at 14 I can see Belichick trying to trade back into the early to mid 20's while picking up another 2nd rounder.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Most of the mock drafts that I've read have had 4 QBs going in the top half of the first round, if one falls to NE at 14 I can see Belichick trying to trade back into the early to mid 20's while picking up another 2nd rounder.

Very possible.

I'm working under the opinion that we will take O-line if we pick at 14.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

I watched a Pats draft preview show yesterday that had them taking a Tackle that was like 6-8 and close to 400lbs, then one of the better TEs with their next pick. Knowing BB though we may see something entirely unexpected. He's had some pretty solid drafts in recent years so hopefully he keeps it going.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mahomes working with receivers in Texas again this off season. I was thinking maybe drafting a receiver would be a priority but now I’m thinking if the guys we have stay healthy that should be good enough.
    Mahomes could probably win another Super Bowl with Henry Winkler, Paul Rudd and Baby Andy as the top 3 receiving targets so probably best to shore up offense and defensive line.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Mahomes working with receivers in Texas again this off season. I was thinking maybe drafting a receiver would be a priority but now I’m thinking if the guys we have stay healthy that should be good enough.
    Mahomes could probably win another Super Bowl with Henry Winkler, Paul Rudd and Baby Andy as the top 3 receiving targets so probably best to shore up offense and defensive line.

Ok, Darin, take it easy. Just take it easy...😂😂😂😂

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

I watched a Pats draft preview show yesterday that had them taking a Tackle that was like 6-8 and close to 400lbs, then one of the better TEs with their next pick. Knowing BB though we may see something entirely unexpected. He's had some pretty solid drafts in recent years so hopefully he keeps it going.

Paris Johnson is the biggest OT at 6'6 320ish. Wright from Tennessee is 6'5 340ish. Skoronski from Northwestern will very likely be gone in the top 10. One if not more of Johnson, Wright or Jones from Georgia at 6'5 310ish should almost certainly be there. Theres definitely a chance someone does something wild with Richardson or Levis way to early as well

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

Paris Johnson is the biggest OT at 6'6 320ish. Wright from Tennessee is 6'5 340ish. Skoronski from Northwestern will very likely be gone in the top 10. One if not more of Johnson, Wright or Jones from Georgia at 6'5 310ish should almost certainly be there. Theres definitely a chance someone does something wild with Richardson or Levis way to early as well

I just checked and it was Ohio State Tackle Dawand Jones, He was listed at 6-8 375lbs but the guy whose podcast it was said he's probably closer to 400. I think he had the Pats trading back in this mock then getting Jones either late 1st or early 2nd.
    I honestly don't watch college football so these are all just names to me but I tend to nerd out come draft time for some reason lol.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

I just checked and it was Ohio State Tackle Dawand Jones, He was listed at 6-8 375lbs but the guy whose podcast it was said he's probably closer to 400. I think he had the Pats trading back in this mock then getting Jones either late 1st or early 2nd.
    I honestly don't watch college football so these are all just names to me but I tend to nerd out come draft time for some reason lol.

He was pretty good supposedly on the hardwood. That's a big boy!

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

Nothing wrong with nerding out lol.

Johnson is regarded higher than Dawand especially since Johnson played left OT. Tackles just generally arent more than 330ish with the rushing speed they face in the NFL. Its hard to see why someone would want to trade up with them to let them move back unless they just took a cheap price. Theres kind of a lot of OTs in this draft and several that are considered higher rated than Dawamd

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

He was pretty good supposedly on the hardwood. That's a big boy!

Jesus,with all of the issues that Zion has had playing at 6-6/300ish, I can just imagine the lower leg problems that he might have had playing basketball full time.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

Johnson is regarded higher than Dawand especially since Johnson played left OT. Tackles just generally arent more than 330ish with the rushing speed they face in the NFL. Its hard to see why someone would want to trade up with them to let them move back unless they just took a cheap price. Theres kind of a lot of OTs in this draft and several that are considered higher rated than Dawamd

OL is always tought to predict when it comes to the Pats because BB's has really good success drafting starters in later rounds. If they stay at 14 I could see them going Tackle or CB although I'd love to see Bill grab a top Wr or TE there or in the first with a trade back. The names I see the most mocked to NE are WRs Jaxon Smith-Njigba from Ohio State & Zay Flowers from BC, then Darnell Washington from Georgia although there were higher ranked TEs ahead of him.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 3:16AM

I honestly don't know what we're going to do, the Panthers brass won't reveal who they're going to pick, but our GM Scott Fitterer was heaping a lot of praise on Bryce Young recently, and Frank Reich seemed to be very impressed with Young. Personally, I like Stroud, but I have to prepare myself for the possibility that we pick Young. I've been reading up on Young and he's very impressive, high football IQ, reads defenses very well. I was watching a play yesterday, with the score tied 49-49 late in the fourth quarter of the Alabama vs Tennessee game, Young needed to get Alabama in field goal range. Before the snap, he used his cadence to get the defense to show its hand. After seeing the safety rotation and how the linebackers moved, he knew a blitz was coming to his right and slid his protection in that direction. Despite the blitz, he knew he was protected and used a subtle pump fake to get both underneath defenders to jump the short route, opening up space for the deeper in-breaker behind it. This is the kind of stuff I like to see, very smart. The Panthers brass met with him and talked with him and said it's like talking to a 40-year old when you sit down with him, he's very mature. So, if we pick Young I have no beef with that. His Alabama teammate Brian Branch said we would be "stupid" not to pick him.

• Options

Of course, if it was my choice, I would take old man Rodgers. With the 1st overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select Aaron Rodgers, from Shady Acres retirement home.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

OL is always tought to predict when it comes to the Pats because BB's has really good success drafting starters in later rounds. If they stay at 14 I could see them going Tackle or CB although I'd love to see Bill grab a top Wr or TE there or in the first with a trade back. The names I see the most mocked to NE are WRs Jaxon Smith-Njigba from Ohio State & Zay Flowers from BC, then Darnell Washington from Georgia although there were higher ranked TEs ahead of him.

Washington may have higher TEs ranked ahead of him but the guy is basically a OT with speed and good hands that can even jump over people. Hes the best overall TE but has some injury issues like Nigba does which may cause him to fall and let someone get a steal getting a first round talent outside of the first round.

I dont have a clue what BB wants to do other than Johnson is almost certainly go in the first round. Washington that high seems like a bit of a reach but I could understand it given what a freak he is. Given how badly Stroud bombed the S2 test its not out of the question now that he could be on the board still but I wouldnt touch him

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I honestly don't know what we're going to do, the Panthers brass won't reveal who they're going to pick, but our GM Scott Fitterer was heaping a lot of praise on Bryce Young recently, and Frank Reich seemed to be very impressed with Young. Personally, I like Stroud, but I have to prepare myself for the possibility that we pick Young. I've been reading up on Young and he's very impressive, high football IQ, reads defenses very well. I was watching a play yesterday, with the score tied 49-49 late in the fourth quarter of the Alabama vs Tennessee game, Young needed to get Alabama in field goal range. Before the snap, he used his cadence to get the defense to show its hand. After seeing the safety rotation and how the linebackers moved, he knew a blitz was coming to his right and slid his protection in that direction. Despite the blitz, he knew he was protected and used a subtle pump fake to get both underneath defenders to jump the short route, opening up space for the deeper in-breaker behind it. This is the kind of stuff I like to see, very smart. The Panthers brass met with him and talked with him and said it's like talking to a 40-year old when you sit down with him, he's very mature. So, if we pick Young I have no beef with that. His Alabama teammate Brian Branch said we would be "stupid" not to pick him.

Stroud absolutely bombed the S2 test. Obviously teams could be lying but its believed many teams have taken him off the board after Stroud scored an 18 out of 100. Young had a 98 and anything above 80 is considered good. Having an elite score doesnt assure they will have success, but there has never been a bad score that has had success in the NFL and 18 is wayyyyyyy beyond bad. The top QBs in the league have all scored very well on it and its a big red flag on a decision making reaction test to be that low.

If Young was a couple inches taller hed be the no doubt number 1 pick

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

Washington may have higher TEs ranked ahead of him but the guy is basically a OT with speed and good hands that can even jump over people. Hes the best overall TE but has some injury issues like Nigba does which may cause him to fall and let someone get a steal getting a first round talent outside of the first round.

I dont have a clue what BB wants to do other than Johnson is almost certainly go in the first round. Washington that high seems like a bit of a reach but I could understand it given what a freak he is. Given how badly Stroud bombed the S2 test its not out of the question now that he could be on the board still but I wouldnt touch him

I'd be really surprised if NE went with a QB using a somewhat high pick (rounds 1-3) even though there were reports that BB tried offering Mac around the league. I know that Will Levis had a workout with NE but that seemed more like a BB due diligence thing more than anything else.

BB likes smart,quick-thinking players at every position but you'd think especially at QB, so Stroud doesn't sound like he'd be his type of guy. If he fell to them I could see Bill dropping out of that spot for some team looking for a QB.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Very possible.

I'd be really surprised if NE went with a QB using a somewhat high pick (rounds 1-3) even though there were reports that BB tried offering Mac around the league. I know that Will Levis had a workout with NE but that seemed more like a BB due diligence thing more than anything else.

BB likes smart,quick-thinking players at every position but you'd think especially at QB, so Stroud doesn't sound like he'd be his type of guy. If he fell to them I could see Bill dropping out of that spot for some team looking for a QB.

I dont have the slightest clue what they're planning I just know the general view of players. Someone will get what is likely a steal in the 2nd of 3rd with Hooker who very likely is the 2nd best QB in the draft behind Young but wont be able to play this year coming off ACL surgery.

As far as the Pats I dont really believe Jones will be anything special which means they're going to have to take a QB at some point. I wouldnt touch AR he was terrible at Florida eventhough his combine numbers were off the charts. Next years class is pretty loaded both with some elite talent and a lot of depth to it

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2023 3:35PM

Rumors are that the Texans are open to shopping #2 and trading down. Some talk is that they like a couple of defensive players over Stroud and Young, and may be as happy with one of the lesser rated 3 QBS at a lower pick. They have #12 too so some flexibility. Colts are apparently sold on one of the lesser 3 qbs and might want to trade down if they can still get their qb but add some draft capital. It could be an interesting draft to see if other teams trade up or down to get whom they want in the top 10.

No one seems to think that Young or Stroud are sure things as long-term successes in the NFL. Alot of QB's have been drafted 1 or 2 that never became a Brady, Montana, Bradshaw or Lawrence (of which some of these were not #1 or 2...). Trey Lance is being shopped, and it could be the Niners use him to move up in the draft as they are apparently sold on Purdy (as am I), with Darnold to start the season. Lot's of speculation about the top 5 QB's, the risk of each, and where they will go. We will see.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Basebal21 said:
    I dont have the slightest clue what they're planning I just know the general view of players. Someone will get what is likely a steal in the 2nd of 3rd with Hooker who very likely is the 2nd best QB in the draft behind Young but wont be able to play this year coming off ACL surgery.

As far as the Pats I dont really believe Jones will be anything special which means they're going to have to take a QB at some point. I wouldnt touch AR he was terrible at Florida eventhough his combine numbers were off the charts. Next years class is pretty loaded both with some elite talent and a lot of depth to it.

Agree, for example there are at least a half dozen Pac-12 qbs coming out next season that could be 1rst rounders, a matter of ones opinion which are the better ones and which are the riskier selections. We've seen piles of UCLA and USC qb's go upper 1rst over the centuries and not be elite, where Oregon and UW have put out some pretty darned good ones, and some busts, as has all of the other schools. Nevertheless, a pile of potential in next years qb draft just from the Pac-12, and sure to be from the rest of the Power 5 as well.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Basebal21 said:

@doubledragon said:

Stroud absolutely bombed the S2 test. Obviously teams could be lying but its believed many teams have taken him off the board after Stroud scored an 18 out of 100. Young had a 98 and anything above 80 is considered good. Having an elite score doesnt assure they will have success, but there has never been a bad score that has had success in the NFL and 18 is wayyyyyyy beyond bad. The top QBs in the league have all scored very well on it and its a big red flag on a decision making reaction test to be that low.

I'm hoping we pick Bryce Young, the more I research him, the more I like, we'll see tomorrow night, I'm very nervous!

• Options

Here's an article from the Charlotte Observer about the situation for anyone who's interested.

On eve of NFL Draft, Bryce Young, Panthers look like a match

On eve of NFL Draft, Panthers and Bryce Young sound like they’ll try to grow together.

Bryce Young laughed Wednesday when I asked him a question he’s been asked, in one form or another, for most of his life.

It was about his height. Young is the presumptive No. 1 pick in Thursday night’s NFL Draft, as well as the next Carolina Panthers quarterback. He’s also 5-foot-10.

“I focus only on what I can control,” Young said on the eve of the draft as we stood on a high school football field in Kansas City. “I can’t grow.”

The Panthers have apparently made their peace with Young’s height. It is expected that Carolina will take Young, the former Alabama quarterback, at No. 1 on Thursday. He will walk across a giant stage set up in downtown Kansas City and then, soon, into Charlotte and toward a franchise that is desperate for another star quarterback.

When you’re in Kansas City, the shadow of Patrick Mahomes is everywhere. His smiling face and his jersey are omnipresent, which is what happens when you win the Super Bowl or else narrowly miss doing so just about every year.

The Panthers had that once. In the mid-2010s, they made the playoffs four times in a five-year stretch and got to the Super Bowl once. They had their own charismatic star at quarterback in Cam Newton, and he made Carolina’s engine go.

But Newton got hurt midway through the 2018 season and everything slowly disintegrated after that. The Panthers made a bold move in March trying to change all that, trading up from the ninth pick to the No. 1 pick to find their QB of the future.

So Young better be worth it.

Or if it’s not Young and this has all been a heck of a smokescreen by the Panthers, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, Kentucky’s Will Levis or Florida’s Anthony Richardson better be worth it. You don’t give up four high draft picks and your best wide receiver to pick another Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield. You do it in search of the next Mahomes.

I had never met Young until Wednesday. When I introduced myself as being from The Charlotte Observer, he grinned a Cheshire cat sort of grin, but then denied the Panthers had told him they were picking him at No. 1.

“No, no, I haven’t heard anything, from any team,” Young said. “I don’t have any expectations. ... Where I get picked and what happens, I don’t have a say in that.”

Stroud was originally the betting favorite for the Panthers’ No. 1 pick after Carolina made its big trade in March, owing partly for new coach Frank Reich’s penchant for starting QBs that are 6-foot-3 or taller. But things seem to have changed over the past several weeks, and Stroud sounded doubtful Wednesday that the Panthers were going to pick him.

“If you had asked me a couple of months ago, I probably would have had a different answer for you,” Stroud said.

Kentucky’s Levis suddenly became the second betting favorite behind Young by some oddsmakers this week, owing largely to an anonymous Reddit post claiming that Levis had told family and friends the Panthers were going to choose him.

“All I have to say is don’t believe everything you read on the internet,” Levis said Wednesday.

Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer made a point last week of saying that Young had only two balls batted down at the line of scrimmage in his final season at Alabama.

In the SEC, Young was able to move in the pocket and find throwing lanes against a lot of elite defenders who will join him in the NFL. Much like Steph Curry did at Davidson and then in the NBA, he has long compensated for his lack of ideal height for the position he plays.

“I’m myself,” said Young, who is at least five inches shorter than Stroud, Levis and Richardson. “I know who I am. I’m comfortable in my abilities. … I’ve been this height, relative to the people around me, for my entire life.”

When I saw Young get off a bus with a half-dozen other future No. 1 draft picks, he did look small. And compared to Newton, a giant of a QB at 6-5 and 245 pounds, Young looks very small.

“I can’t get any taller,” Young said several times Wednesday.

But the two men had similar success in college, both winning the Heisman Trophy. Young was asked if he would be OK going to the same franchise that Newton starred for, given that at least in Alabama terms, Newton went to the “wrong” school.

“I have the utmost respect for Cam Newton,” Young said. “Him being able to come in and have the success he had, being the MVP, playing at such a high level, getting to the Super Bowl … all the stuff he does in the community. So all of that Alabama-Auburn aside, obviously that would be a huge honor.”

All of Young’s answers are sort of like that one. He’s polished in front of a camera and will be comfortable as the face of the franchise. And he can play, too — there’s no doubt of that. The question to me is durability — if he can stay healthy.

But if he can, the trade will be worth it, the Panthers will be worth it, and Charlotte may one day even feel like Kansas City does right now.

Young can’t grow. That’s true. But he does have the ability to elevate, and that’s what he must do for the Panthers.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

As far as the Pats I dont really believe Jones will be anything special which means they're going to have to take a QB at some point. I wouldnt touch AR he was terrible at Florida eventhough his combine numbers were off the charts. Next years class is pretty loaded both with some elite talent and a lot of depth to it.

Agree, for example there are at least a half dozen Pac-12 qbs coming out next season that could be 1rst rounders, a matter of ones opinion which are the better ones and which are the riskier selections. We've seen piles of UCLA and USC qb's go upper 1rst over the centuries and not be elite, where Oregon and UW have put out some pretty darned good ones, and some busts, as has all of the other schools. Nevertheless, a pile of potential in next years qb draft just from the Pac-12, and sure to be from the rest of the Power 5 as well.

Outsiide of Williams most of the Pac 12 ones are overrated and a result of a conference that doesnt really play defense. Drake May can come out next year (who should have won the Heisman this year), Ewers will be coming out, scouts love Deions son, Jayden Daniels from LSU, Pratt from Tulane some teams really like who beat USC last year, scouts still love Rattler. Ward and Huard from the Pac 12 that are getting attention, the Pac 12 might have 2 first round QBs, they wont have half a dozen. There probably wont even be half a dozen first round QBs period and the two locks are Williams and Maye. Sanders is probably a lock too for someone given his training and body type and even if hes terrible this year its easy to say its the fault of the team.

Daniels and Ewers could be in the first round. A guy like Hartman might move up the boards and get there. Rattler will be a wild card, he was a Heisman favorite at one point going into a season. There wont be a run on PAC 12 qbs though, Pennix and Rising arent really NFL QBs. Bo Nix for Oregon was terrible at Auburn for three years then is all of a sudden a stud in the Pac 12. Williams is the only one that is assured to go high if hes healthy. Theres also some others that have both been very good college QBs and ones that could prove themselves this year.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Basebal21 said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm hoping we pick Bryce Young, the more I research him, the more I like, we'll see tomorrow night, I'm very nervous!

I think hes absolutely the better of the two, I just dont like the situation for him there with the lack of picks for two years and really not much to work with currently on the roster. He did have an objectively very average at best WR core at Bama this year though so maybe he could make it work with something to build on

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Outsiide of Williams most of the Pac 12 ones are overrated and a result of a conference that doesnt really play defense. Drake May can come out next year (who should have won the Heisman this year), Ewers will be coming out, scouts love Deions son, Jayden Daniels from LSU, Pratt from Tulane some teams really like who beat USC last year, scouts still love Rattler. Ward and Huard from the Pac 12 that are getting attention, the Pac 12 might have 2 first round QBs, they wont have half a dozen. There probably wont even be half a dozen first round QBs period and the two locks are Williams and Maye. Sanders is probably a lock too for someone given his training and body type and even if hes terrible this year its easy to say its the fault of the team.

Daniels and Ewers could be in the first round. A guy like Hartman might move up the boards and get there. Rattler will be a wild card, he was a Heisman favorite at one point going into a season. There wont be a run on PAC 12 qbs though, Pennix and Rising arent really NFL QBs. Bo Nix for Oregon was terrible at Auburn for three years then is all of a sudden a stud in the Pac 12. Williams is the only one that is assured to go high if hes healthy. Theres also some others that have both been very good college QBs and ones that could prove themselves this year.

Last year, there were 264 Pac-12 alumni on NFL rosters. About a dozen qb's. Some of those qb's include Aaron Rogers, Nick Foles, and Justin Herbert who the pundits would argue are some of the best qb's in the league. The pundits say that the class of 2023-2024 qb's out of the Pac-12 will be spectacular and many will draft high including top 5 overall, including Bo Nix they say. You apparently disagree. So by late April in 2024 when the draft occurs we will see who is right and can discuss this again. Until then, any further discussion on this is moot.

Best, SH

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

Last year, there were 264 Pac-12 alumni on NFL rosters. About a dozen qb's. Some of those qb's include Aaron Rogers, Nick Foles, and Justin Herbert who the pundits would argue are some of the best qb's in the league. The pundits say that the class of 2023-2024 qb's out of the Pac-12 will be spectacular and many will draft high including top 5 overall, including Bo Nix they say. You apparently disagree. So by late April in 2024 when the draft occurs we will see who is right and can discuss this again. Until then, any further discussion on this is moot.

Best, SH

The draft starts tomorrow night at 8pm.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Yes, but I was talking about the group coming out next year which will be in the draft next year in response to another poster.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@erikthredd said:

Yes, but I was talking about the group coming out next year which will be in the draft next year in response to another poster.

I even highlighted the 2024 lol. Oof! My bad. 😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I even highlighted the 2024 lol. Oof! My bad. 😉

No worries, it happens.

Best, SH

• Options
    edited April 26, 2023 7:44PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

Best, SH

The SEC had 505 players, the B1G has 381 and the ACC had 307. The Pac 12 does a good job of putting in WRs and some others scattered around positions but hasnt had any elite defenses since Carol left USC. Foles isnt a good starting QB, Rodgers and Herbert and Foles didnt play in the PAC 12 at the same time.

If anyone drafts Bo Nix in the top 5 they should be fired on the spot, if hes even first round they should be fired immediately. Williams is the lock if healthy. Sanders probably will be as well if healthy regardless of what happens. Maye from UNC will be the number 1 or 2 QB in the draft if healthy or should be anyways.

Top to bottom the PAC 12 right now is probably the best QB conference at the moment in terms of college numbers. Thats partially because of lower defensive talent and partially because some of the big time programs have young QBs and havent announced starters yet. It is worth noting though that when multiple failed QBs from other conferences can consistently come in and be studs that says something about the defensive talent in that conference.

No conference has had more than 2 first round QBs in one draft. SEC did it with Burrow and Tua last in 2020. That could change if some teams get over excited about combine numbers with Levis and AR, especially AR who was just not very good at FL and held them back. A lot of people seem to see Josh Allen in Levis and he looks the part, but game tape isnt great by any means

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

Best, SH

The SEC had 505 players, the B1G has 381 and the ACC had 307. The Pac 12 does a good job of putting in WRs and some others scattered around positions but hasnt had any elite defenses since Carol left USC. Foles isnt a good starting QB, Rodgers and Herbert and Foles didnt play in the PAC 12 at the same time.

If anyone drafts Bo Nix in the top 5 they should be fired on the spot, if hes even first round they should be fired immediately. Williams is the lock if healthy. Sanders probably will be as well if healthy regardless of what happens. Maye from UNC will be the number 1 or 2 QB in the draft if healthy or should be anyways.

Top to bottom the PAC 12 right now is probably the best QB conference at the moment in terms of college numbers. Thats partially because of lower defensive talent and partially because some of the big time programs have young QBs and havent announced starters yet. It is worth noting though that when multiple failed QBs from other conferences can consistently come in and be studs that says something about the defensive talent in that conference.

No conference has had more than 2 first round QBs in one draft. SEC did it with Burrow and Tua last in 2020. That could change if some teams get over excited about combine numbers with Levis and AR, especially AR who was just not very good at FL and held them back. A lot of people seem to see Josh Allen in Levis and he looks the part, but game tape isnt great by any means

We agree to disagree then.

• Options

Reading the most recent ESPN analysis of the draft tonite, the scouts and experts are stating this is not a really top draft, there are possibly 15 players that are true 1rst rounders, and very few game changers. No one seems to think any of the qb's are elite.

This influences my thinking on the Tejanos - I think they may either trade down or draft DE Wilson at the 2. He won't last more than a few picks from what they are saying. One of the five qb's should be available at #12 their next pick and it will depend on how they analyze the qb's. Keep in mind they hired a defensive head coach. They brought in Case Keenum this year, who they might be thinking is a stop gap and maybe they are thinking if they don't get a sure thing qb in this draft, they can wait until next year, so start getting elite on D. They have strong draft capital over the next few years bc of the Watson trade and next years qb group is said to be stellar and better than this years offerings.

• Options

Current thoughts on best college qb's up for next years draft:

College Football QB Power Rankings: Caleb Williams leads trio of Pac-12 stars in top five as spring begins
    The USC star quarterback picks up right where he left off last season before winning the 2022 Heisman Trophy
    By Tom Fornelli
    Mar 2, 2023 at 11:34 am ET

Caleb Williams USC Trojans QB

Michael Penix Jr. Washington Huskies QB

Drake Maye North Carolina Tar Heels QB

Jordan Travis Florida State Seminoles QB

Bo Nix Oregon Ducks QB

Link to article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-qb-power-rankings-caleb-williams-leads-trio-of-pac-12-stars-in-top-five-as-spring-begins/

3 Pac-12 in the top 5, SEC? None.

I guess I am going with the experts on this one.............................

• Options

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-top-returning-quarterbacks-2023

Here is another analysis, same top 5, 3 in the Pac-12, no SEC.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2023 7:29AM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35968909/ranking-10-best-college-football-quarterbacks-heading-2023-season

And here is espn's analysis. Same top 5, 3 Pac-12, no SEC. 4 Pac-12 in the top 6, 1 SEC in the top 10.............

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Reading the most recent ESPN analysis of the draft tonite, the scouts and experts are stating this is not a really top draft, there are possibly 15 players that are true 1rst rounders, and very few game changers. No one seems to think any of the qb's are elite.

This influences my thinking on the Tejanos - I think they may either trade down or draft DE Wilson at the 2. He won't last more than a few picks from what they are saying. One of the five qb's should be available at #12 their next pick and it will depend on how they analyze the qb's. Keep in mind they hired a defensive head coach. They brought in Case Keenum this year, who they might be thinking is a stop gap and maybe they are thinking if they don't get a sure thing qb in this draft, they can wait until next year, so start getting elite on D. They have strong draft capital over the next few years bc of the Watson trade and next years qb group is said to be stellar and better than this years offerings.

The QBs all have question marks. Young is elite, but people are scared because of the height. Hooker is likely the second best QB but cant play this year because of ACL surgery. Levis looks like an NFL QB but game tape isnt great, AR15 had the best combine in history for a QB but was terrible at FL. Stroud absolutely bombed the S2 to a point its actually embarrassing and had multiple first round WRs at Ohio state with an elite line, also fell apart against GA when Harrison JR got hurt.

Carolinas going to be a tough spot to go but they will absolutely take a QB, would be insane to have made that trade and not take one. No one ever really knows what the Texans will do. Colts reportedly love Levis. Hooker will likely fall to the second round from the ACL. No one seems to have any idea what will happen with AR15, hes been legitimately projected everywhere from 1st overall to 3rd rounder, Levis has been all over the place too.

Carter and Anderson should go top 10 maybe one in the top 5 and there could be a run on tackles once theyre off the board. Bijon is an elite elite RB that maybe a team like Philly takes as a luxury having two picks but most teams seem to be more hesitant to use a really high pick on an RB now. Addison, Johnson, and JSN are the 3 WRs that could go first round, possibly Tillman over one of them especially since JSN didnt play this year

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35968909/ranking-10-best-college-football-quarterbacks-heading-2023-season

And here is espn's analysis. Same top 5, 3 Pac-12, no SEC. 4 Pac-12 in the top 6, 1 SEC in the top 10.............

These are all the same people that have been trying to prop up the Pac 12 and said 6 of the top 14 teams were Pac 12 teams and then Oregon got killed by GA, Utah lost to FL, and USC lost to Tulane. Bo Nix is absolutely under no circumstances a top 10 much less top 5 QB even in college football. Pennix JR is highly overrated. Hartman went to Notre Dame, Leavy went to KY, Spencer Sanders went to Ole Miss, Bama just got another 4 star transfer from Notre Dame, GA has two young 5 stars fighting for the spot, Jayden Daniels is much to low, Maye is number 2 at worst and without question better than Pennix, Rising is coming off a torn ACL so putting him on the list is wild, JJ McCarthy its hard to take a list seriously that has him at 8. He just isnt a very good QB and is Michigans weak spot. Whoever Ohio state starts is going to put up monster numbers with that current WR core as well

• Options

Well, here we go, welcome to Carolina Bryce Young!

• Options

Interesting, the Tejanos fooled everyone, instead of trading down, they went for the best qb in this draft and got Stroud, then traded up for D, got the OLB instead of the DE that was predicted. HST, this OLB is known for rushing the qb, so the defensive minded new head coach apparently liked him over the DE for versatility. Interesting. I will be curious to see how the 5'10" #1 pick at qb does, history indicates that short qb's do not end up being elite in the NFL. Can this one beat the odds?

• Options

Wilson from TT goes #7 to the Raiders, steal of a pick at 7. He's gonna have to put on some muscle weight to complete in the NFL, but watch out, he clearly fits in the tough guy image of a Raider. Brilliant pick.

• Options

Halfway through the first round and Will Levis still hasn't been picked yet, Mel Kiper is looking pretty foolish right about now.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2023 7:15PM

@doubledragon said:
    Halfway through the first round and Will Levis still hasn't been picked yet, Mel Kiper is looking pretty foolish right about now.

It has been stated that he is a big qb with a big arm but a 'project'. Maybe teams aren't willing to invest that high in a project? We will see where he goes.

• Options

Here is another ranking of college qb's coming to the NFL draft in 2024 by the sporting news:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2024-quarterbacks-rankings-caleb-williams-drake-maye/uw3ukpzmrqxt1zhe6yyzkpeu

Still no SEC qb's in the top 6. 4 Pac-12, one ACC, one big 12. Two SEC qb's make this list though at 8 and 10. Still looks like Pac-12 qb's will be the dominant qb's to go in the draft next year, multiple assessments by the pundits and scouts are telling a consistent story on this.