Home U.S. Coin Forum

And I thought fake coins were at least an attempt to make a like item....

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 18, 2023 6:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is the first attempt I have seen of a group trying to sell cardboard replicas of slabbed coins. Whaaaaat? I had to look at it again and again, but it's true homemade, cardboard replicas of coins.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the price of copper has been going up….it actually doesn’t look to bad from what I can see.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2023 6:50PM

That’s crazy 🧐

It might be great as a proxy coin in an album if you have a slabbed key date though 🤔

Mr_Spud

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how well they tone in that slab?

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It gives new meaning to "monopoly money"

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why anyone would want one... Maybe as a hole filler in an album?? Seems a waste of money to me.... Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko But you would have to cut them out of the cardboard holder. Why not just buy a real replica for the same money or a little more and have at least metal in the hole?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbbroken ... Correct Jim, I was just trying to find some use for it.... Cheers, RickO

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2023 6:48AM

So is it like a trading card? The image is of a genuine Chinese counterfeit example B) ...

That is what I suspect, Jack. When did this start? Haven't seen it before last week. This was on etsy.
    Jim

edited April 20, 2023 6:54AM

I think something was lost in translation...

Here is his 1800 and it states "Cartoned"; basically selling his fake half cents (based on the 1804 C-6 spiked chin):

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of a company many years ago who was manufacturing and selling quality full-sized holograms of coins such as High Relief Saints that could be mounted in a bezel for use in jewelry. Without close examination, they looked like the real deal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

These are "real" counterfeits:

• lobo54lobo54 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Not sure why anyone would want one... Maybe as a hole filler in an album?? Seems a waste of money to me.... Cheers, RickO

They don't tone.

I would rather join with an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by sheep.

@burfle23 said:
    I think something was lost in translation...

Here is his 1800 and it states "Cartoned"; basically selling his fake half cents (based on the 1804 C-6 spiked chin):

Jack,
    Here is one meaning of cartoned...verb. : to shape cartons from cardboard sheets. Actual French word le carton means cardboard outright.
    Jim

I also messaged museodellabanconota and asked if it was just a cardboard fascimile or an actual replica coin in a holder. Supposedly he answers messages within a few hours. Will see.
    Jim

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCCB is a perfectly reputable Chinese supplier of many items including a lot of hobby supplies. They sell slabs in the styles of several TPGs and provide labels and holograms.

Now seeing some idjit use those supplies to pretend to be a PCGS slabbed coin in an NGC style holder? That's a new low even for idjits. But you will recall the sayings...

• There is no such thing as idiot-proof, just idiot-resistant.
    • Just when you think something is idiot-proof, they make better idiots.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

I stand corrected, as museodellabanconota did contact me within the hour and said,
    "They are real replica coins in professional cases. They are metal replica coins". I'm curious as to why all his ads say cardboard?
    Jim

As I said, "lost in translation"...

The seller further responded that it was to be boxed in Italian, but as Jack said, translation messed it up.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file