Home U.S. Coin Forum

1904 Louisiana Purchase Expo Medal- Bronze or Copper?

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I acquired this piece yesterday. The design is listed in Hibler/Kappen in a number of different metals. I figure this one has to be either:

HK-301 Copper
HK-303 Bronze

It looks like the one in copper is far rarer than any of the others. My question is, how can I tell the difference between the copper and bronze ones? I'm thinking weight maybe, but I don't see any weights in my copy of H/K, nor any mention of die markers.

It does have a cool retained cud on the reverse which I find interesting...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great cud. Both mine are bronze. Here are the weights.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, my Bronze SCD weighs 16.5g and my Yellow Bronze SCD weighs 16.4g. Here are you some colors to compare. Yellow Bronze is a brighter yellow than my photo would suggest.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2023 5:23PM

What's super interesting about this retained cud is that there's another die crack over the L in LOUISIANA but it's a different one. I wonder how many die cracks we can find for these.

It would be great to start cataloging these cuds!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of note, Jeff @SoCalledGuy and Bill @Bsktmkr's new book have a single catalog number for copper and bronze.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful medal.... and I really like the silver one.... Cheers, RickO

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said: My question is, how can I tell the difference between the copper and bronze ones??

The weight or specific gravity is probably the best way, but judging only by the color of the imaged medal in the OP I would say copper. They tend to be darker brown with more uniform color.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this is interesting. This one weighs 16.203 grams. So, based on @jesbbroken's chart, it's underweight for both copper and bronze...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very neat design. Are there any other US medals that show Napolean?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file