Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which grading service is the top tier for grading cards?

Not familiar.

I know coins… but the coin. But grading services have their hierarchies.

Which grading services would you suggest for a newby to trading cards?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

PSA is the top tier because they "usually" command the highest prices compared to same grades from other companies... SGC and BGS are up there as well but just below PSA. Then there is CSG/CGC, but usually for the cheap grading price or look of the slabs.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on what the individual prefers. Several good companies to choose from.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your intention is to grade a card to keep or sell, when you factor everything in, PSA is light years ahead of the others for a myriad of reasons and this is an easy choice.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

PSA

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

You are on a PSA forum. Saying another company is superior can get someone banned these days,

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

That BGS grading scale debacle at the MINT show is going to haunt the brand. I would be very nervous if I have a BGS 9.5 with a 9 sub or no 10 subs.

Did any of the COVID grading companies - HGA, CSG, ECG, XYZ, ABC - survive? I see HGA slabs at some shows but I would think the opening of PSA killed them.

Mike
  • Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

PSA and BGS are the only two I consider for having my sports card graded. I have purchased slabbed cards from HGA, and others, which I have been pleased with but I don't have much confidence they will survive the long haul like PSA and BGS. I bought them for future crossover submissions for my personal collection of a set I am working on.

I rarely find BGS 10s (sub graded) but you will see plenty of 9.5s. If you have a lot of newer cards that you believe are a 10 then PSA would be my first choice because a PSA10 usually is worth the most and getting a BGS 10 is extremely difficult. If you're on the fence about a PSA10 and don't want a PSA9 then BGS may be your choice because the sub grade formula may net you a 9.5 with the gold label and those generally fetch near premium auction prices.
    Now if we're talking about $10k+ valued cards then it often depends on the buyer. Some people go for grade company only, some really scrutinize the card, and some prefer raw. Things like centering or fading may be more important to me than you or vice versa. With PSA you may have to look the card over well to find the flaw(s) and unfortunately there are people selling cards where they try to hide them.

I wouldn't go with a 2nd rate grading company, regardless of their pricing specials, until they've acquired enough market share to cause their competitors to worry because the value drops considerably if they go out of business.

No company will be without blame for incidents but it's how the company responds which is important. From all I've observed thus far, PSA is responsive to customers and rarely have heard horror stories.

I like that PSA doesn't grade everything without some strong convincing. As challenging as it may be for some, this leads me to believe they truly want their reputation to matter more than they want your $50.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

psa is the best, but they are expensive, they charge extra to grade the autograph too

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is all according to what your goal is. if resale is very important, PSA all the way. If you are a collector who wants the safest, most secure holder, BGS is by far the most secure holder. Some also like the looks of SGC slabs. those would be the top 3 and by a large margin.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.